General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, BOF said:

What sprang to my mind was National Lampoons more than Police Academy. Kind of a national institution over there for some weird reason. Naff but regarded as charming.

I think there are still cultural differences. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the American comedy movies (NatLamp, Police Academy, Porky's, etc.) appealed more to a teenage audience. While I tend to stereotype the Carry Ons (which was from a generation earlier anyway) as being mainly enjoyed by middle aged working class types. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think there are still cultural differences. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the American comedy movies (NatLamp, Police Academy, Porky's, etc.) appealed more to a teenage audience. While I tend to stereotype the Carry Ons (which was from a generation earlier anyway) as being mainly enjoyed by middle aged working class types. 

I thought National Lampoons was aimed as their family friendly comedy, whereas the others were younger.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I thought National Lampoons was aimed as their family friendly comedy, whereas the others were younger.

Yeah, probably true. 

18 hours ago, Chindie said:

He promotes an image that appeals to a certain kind of teenage boy - he's surrounded by hot women, he's lavished in the frippery of a rich successful man with big houses, flash cars, big watches, cigars, he's in shape and his early life was one of being a pro kick boxer - and then sells that dream as being derived from his thoughts on life and his mindset. He embodies the hyper confident, hyper masculine, alpha bellend persona. He tries to sell himself as a kick ass intellectual. He's actually a clearing in the woods.

From my experience he has a fair following from grown men who's wives have left them because they're a massive word removed but it's definitely her fault

• Thanks 1

cheers @Chindie. One of the articles I read said (in passing) that he was supportive of double barrelled professional numbnuts and convicted fraudster Stephen Yaxley-Lennon. That made me wonder to what extent? was he putting out vids where he thought illegally filming trials outside of courts was ok or is he a fully paid up member of the white supremacists? In regards to my relative, I think ultimately I'll ask a lot of questions. Try and learn from him what the appeal is for him. I suppose really the question is, are logical discussions welcome? If they are then there are meaningful conversations to be had and so on, if not then attempting to tackle something more ingrained is beyond my experience so far in life.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is anyone on 3 mobile network (or ID Mobile) and do you get 5g reception at Villa Park? 

Yeah it's sound. Only time I struggled all year was during the Brighton game but I imagine it was due to the constant checking of scores. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Is anyone on 3 mobile network (or ID Mobile) and do you get 5g reception at Villa Park? 

No. During games, you get shown signal, but there is no bandwidth available. I'm moving to EE tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are you watching this @BOF? Looks mental at Le Mans, most of the track is dry but 1 sector is pissing down

Wow. I watched the first hour. Haven't seen this 😂😂 Epic.

• Like 1

Â