The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Managed to get resale tickets for Sigur Rós at Brixton Academy tomorrow but just clocked there's a damn tube strike.  Probably shouldn't grumble too much, have been incredibly lucky to just about miss all the previous strike action with various trips in/out of London, but it is going to make getting home a right pain in the arse.  Wouldn't be so bad if trains back from Waterloo didn't finish so early these days.

Ack.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Got my Peter Gabriel tickets for next year. Can't believe he's actually releasing a new album. Seemed like it was never going to happen. It's been, what, 20 years since his last proper album of original songs?

Yep got mine for the O2, my all time favourite artist. Even got to meet him once...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Yep got mine for the O2, my all time favourite artist. Even got to meet him once...

Secret World on the Growing Up tour is one of the most amazing live spectacles I've ever seen. Was truly amazing stuff. And I love the way he always integrates his support acts into his show, usually during In Your Eyes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Amazing to see people still turning out for SOAD headline 18 years after they put out any music

It's 'merica

A Flock of Seagulls still regularly tour in the US, their last meaningful hit was in 1984 (I had to look that up and I'd never heard of the song)

They toured the UK a few years back, my mate was TMing them so I went. Hometown show, less than 50 people paid in and I doubt there was more than 100 there

If you have success in America, there's a strong chance you'll have a lifelong career just from touring

33 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Travelling down to Wembley and back tomorrow to see Porcupine Tree. Absolutely buzzing for it even though the drive is gonna be an absolute bag of shit.

Caught them on the fear of the blank planet tour at the Wulfrun. Fantastic show and hearing Anesthetize live was pure bliss.

got a decent double header with Biffy Clyro tomorrow and then Zeal & Ardor on Saturday :) 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Caught them on the fear of the blank planet tour at the Wulfrun. Fantastic show and hearing Anesthetize live was pure bliss.

got a decent double header with Biffy Clyro tomorrow and then Zeal & Ardor on Saturday :) 

I saw them on The Incident tour back in 2009 (also in Wolvo, I think it was at the Civic Hall). They played a section from Anethetize on that tour too, it was bloody marvellous. I'm still convinced that that song might be Steven Wilson's finest moment (solo albums included).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Zeal & Ardor

This evening, my wife forever ruined live favourite Baphomet for me by telling me the lyrics should be "Right hand up, left hand down, you do the Hokey-Cokey and you turn around".  They'll be no living with her after this.

Sigur Rós were really special.  My gast was suitably flabbered. Would go as far to say their visual setup even topped Tool's.  And turns out Basingstoke to Brixton is a piece of piss on the overground, didn't get caught out by the strikes after all.  Only compromise was having to leave two songs before the end, but seeing as was only Sigur Rós playing for ~2 hours, I don't feel short-changed* (and I knew in advance what we'd be missing as I'd checked the setlists from the rest of the tour and they were all the same anyway).

*I might have felt short-changed if I'd forked out the £30 they were asking for this absolute gubbins. A new entry in my "Worst Tat pedalled by a Band" list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/11/2022 at 11:57, JoshVilla said:

Travelling down to Wembley and back tomorrow to see Porcupine Tree. Absolutely buzzing for it even though the drive is gonna be an absolute bag of shit.

Well that was **** phenomenal.

• Like 4

On 28/10/2022 at 18:19, av1 said:

I guess this could have gone in here or the ‘what you listening to now’ thread. I’ve got tickets to going and see Evanescence in a few weeks and they are being supported by Within Temptation. I’d never heard of WT tbh  so today I’ve been listening to some of their stuff and I actually prefer them to Evanescence, absolutely brilliant, her voice is incredible. 

I’ve saw loads of bands that I like that aren’t particularly good live so I’m not going to get too excited just yet, but I absolutely love it when I go to a gig and come away blown away by a support act I know little/nothing about. 

I got it the wrong way around. Evenescence supported Within Temptation. 

EV were great, but 4 tracks into the WT set and they are absolutely smashing it. Sharon’s voice is breathtaking and the set is incredible. 

Just been listening to some Sabbath, I have tickets for the tour in June so hope to McGrath Ozzy is in good health next year.

Even my son who isn’t a massive rock fan is looking forward to it.

Please be alive Ozzy lad.  

On 11/11/2022 at 10:09, GarethRDR said:

Sigur Rós were really special.  My gast was suitably flabbered. Would go as far to say their visual setup even topped Tool's. 

The first couple of times I saw them, yonks ago, was magical. Both with @bickster, once In Liverpool once in Belgium. But since then, I saw them in Blackpool and it was ordinary, then one of them left and tbh none of the albums since have really grabbed me, so it’s good to hear they may have got their mojo back 

I feel similar to blandy and didn't book tickets after weighing it up - seems I might have missed out. 

Saw Jónsi on his solo tour (must be just over ten years ago now) and it was fantastic. 

Edited by Troglodyte
  • Like 1

Â