The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Its off tony, I saw it reported on https://www.gettothefront.co.uk/

yeah , Spangled who were supporting them posted it on their Facebook page so I found out via them just after I posted 

as this was a comeback after a few years off due to previous issues with the lead singer , i can't see them doing any more gigs tbh  ( they are supposed to be supporting Kaiser Chiefs in June) 

59 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

this happened at their Manchester gig last night , so no idea if the gig will go ahead not 

Probably the most interesting thing they've ever done :D 

I'd have paid to watch them split up onstage for sure.

49 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah , Spangled who were supporting them posted it on their Facebook page so I found out via them just after I posted 

as this was a comeback after a few years off due to previous issues with the lead singer , i can't see them doing any more gigs tbh  ( they are supposed to be supporting Kaiser Chiefs in June) 

You have been very enthusiastic about Spangled, no chance of them doing their own gig?

48 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

You have been very enthusiastic about Spangled, no chance of them doing their own gig?

they are doing gigs as part of "This Feeling" which seems to be promoting new bands  and they run gigs up and down the country  .. they are great gigs  , cost around £8 for 3 acts 

I've seen them with " Lock in " a few times , and its Lock In who seem to have picked up momentum and quite a large young following  ..was about 700 people at Lock In's last gig , compared to the first time I saw them with about 60 people  ..but  I'm not sure that any of these acts will really make it big though , sadly 

I guess the problem Spangled have is that they are very much of that 90's indie band sound and they are 30 years too late to the party , but their live performances are just so energetic  .. alas its mobile phone footage so probably doesn't do it justice but it sorta captures the energy of their live shows 

1: is it alright if we crash at yours Wednesday night after Beyonce?

Me: yeah, fine.

1: is it alright if it’s 4 of us?

Me: bloody hell, yeah fine.

1: could you pick 2 of them up from the airport?

Me: ffs, yes, I’ll be expecting beer money

1: that’s cool thanks, can you pick us up after the gig?

Me: @*&^$%!*

1: you love it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Sort of interested in what sort of show Max Richter will bring?

I'm sort of going Fever Ray topping the bill? Really?

It's a nice line-up though, definitely a nice chunk of my recent record collection there

But Sparks on the second line is a crime as is Leftfield on the third

Fever Ray isn't top billing and I say that as someone who likes her

Been a bit of a dry spell for me, but it's shaping up to be my best summer since the before times.

In June I've got Download (Sunday only) and Ice Nine Kills, July is Maiden, Attila, Spiritbox and a local metal all day-er (Mangata Festival, mostly for Heart of a Coward and Raging Speedhorn). Then Bloodstock and Trivium in August.

Contemplating going to the Oh Sees next week.which will be the end of a mini dry period for me. Last gig was the currently fêted The Dream Machine some months ago.

Having to move house threw a few spanner’s in the works

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Fever Ray isn't top billing and I say that as someone who likes her

The Park is an outlier on the Glastonbury site, both by geography and vibe.

It was Emily Eavis's trainer field, and it still enjoys some privilege.

The big secret Thursday gig is often there, and you get beautiful photogenic people hanging backstage.

KD may be in the fold?

Went to see The Long Ryders at the Brudenell the other night. Support band was 'Fine Lines' from Stockport, Mark Radcliffe on drums. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He's a pretty good drummer, too. 

He was also not so famously, the original drummer in Skrewdriver (yes that Skrewdriver, they weren't white supremacists at the time)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

He was also not so famously, the original drummer in Skrewdriver (yes that Skrewdriver, they weren't white supremacists at the time)

Am I right in thinking someone on this very board has filled in on drums for Skrewdriver?

Or was that a fever dream? I’m not naming names if they don’t want to put their hand up.

Nearly.

I worked in a recording studio with a former UK Sub. He called in Deptford John Armitage and we recorded a Combat 84 single over some downtime.

• Like 1

Off to what is for me these days are rare outing to see Vomitory, Exciter and Kvaen. Should be fun.

Totally lost interest in going to gigs after Covid. Not that I'm uncomfortable in crowds, it's more that I got used to how nice it is to not be around people. 

Anyway, really looking forward to Kvaen.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Totally lost interest in going to gigs after Covid. Not that I'm uncomfortable in crowds, it's more that I got used to how nice it is to not be around people. 

This is me exactly. I used to go to at least a couple of gigs a month pre-Covid but haven't been to a single one since. 

I've completely lost my gig mojo 😔

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

This is me exactly. I used to go to at least a couple of gigs a month pre-Covid but haven't been to a single one since. 

I've completely lost my gig mojo 😔

We're not the only ones. Have an acquaintance who works at the big gig venue where I live and he says the numbers are on average down about 1/3 compared to pre Covid. Small city so small sample size but still.

I imagine the kids who are around 20 still go to a lot of gigs since they missed out on a lot while the world was shut down. Me and my friends are mainly in our 40's so I've lost interest and a lot of them got families and what not.

Basically:

Too Old For This Shit GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

Â