The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Evanescence

Mrs H just booked tickets to see Paramore , who I’d never heard of , so she played me a track and they sounded like a poor man’s Evanscence … and that wasn’t meant as a compliment :)

of course this means Bicks will be along shortly to say how fantastic they are  :) 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Mrs H just booked tickets to see Paramore , who I’d never heard of , so she played me a track and they sounded like a poor man’s Evanscence … and that wasn’t meant as a compliment :)

of course this means Bicks will be along shortly to say how fantastic they are  :) 

Try Within temptation mate. Incredible 

45 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

No they are shit to the power of shit. A total shit sandwich. 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, av1 said:

I guess this could have gone in here or the ‘what you listening to now’ thread. I’ve got tickets to going and see Evanescence in a few weeks and they are being supported by Within Temptation. I’d never heard of WT tbh  so today I’ve been listening to some of their stuff and I actually prefer them to Evanescence, absolutely brilliant, her voice is incredible. 

I’ve saw loads of bands that I like that aren’t particularly good live so I’m not going to get too excited just yet, but I absolutely love it when I go to a gig and come away blown away by a support act I know little/nothing about. 

I had tickets to that show but covid moved it 3 times so I had to ditch it. Shame, great bands. And if Sharons voice still holds up you are in for a treat.

Have got The Bug Club tonight in the tiny Barrell House venue in Totnes. 

They recently supported Pavement but unfortunately it was the night after I was seeing them (instead we got the at times good but at times unlistenable Richard Dawson - very strange choice as an opener!)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

instead we got the at times good but at times unlistenable Richard Dawson - very strange choice as an opener!

I really don't get the clamour for him, that style of singing really isn't for me (Bob Dylan on Helium is how I'd describe it)

I think Beak> supported another night so you really did draw the short straw on supports

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I really don't get the clamour for him, that style of singing really isn't for me (Bob Dylan on Helium is how I'd describe it)

I think Beak> supported another night so you really did draw the short straw on supports

Yes Beak> did the final London show and Los Bitchos the other remaining show. 

Any would’ve been better than Richard Dawson… I got the impression the audience were clapping as they felt they needed to! 

Definitely got the poorest choice (and on a Saturday night!)  😢

Edited by theboyangel

Pulp tickets secured 

Gigs and tours website went straight in, and I had the tickets whilst i was still at number 1034 in the Ticketmaster queue 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Does anyone know of any decent indie bands on tour at the moment?  I fancy going to one but a bit out of the loop when it comes to recent music.  I like Wolf Alice but they're in Europe, I've heard of Fontaines DC but not that keen.  Any recommendations?

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Does anyone know of any decent indie bands on tour at the moment?  I fancy going to one but a bit out of the loop when it comes to recent music.  I like Wolf Alice but they're in Europe, I've heard of Fontaines DC but not that keen.  Any recommendations?

Lounge Society 

John (Times Two)

Yard Act 

Warmduscher

The Bug Club

Edited by theboyangel
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Does anyone know of any decent indie bands on tour at the moment?   

Saw these two up and coming bands last week at the star of Kings ( great venue near King’s Cross) 

Spangled

Lock In

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

Am at the Ritz in Manchester right now for Julia Jacklin. £6.80 for a 🍺. Just the one, then. And you never know with the Ritz when the acts will come on. Not for a bit, it seems 

90AC1D80-4905-4289-ACF8-D408D80412B7.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, that was excellent. And the way she deals with encores is as good as the Weddoes and the Lovely Eggs, but different (they don't do them, and say so at the start).

She played about 12 songs, then said "right, we're gonna do 3 more, then stop for a bit, then play one more and that's it. After the 3, when everyone was cheering and clapping, she joined in with chants of "encore" and then went straight into the last one, Hay Plain. What a gig! And it's pleasing to see that she could fill the Ritz for someone mostly under the Radar. Proper talent.

edit - Oh, and She was funny too. "When I play Manchester, it's usually at Gorilla, so it's nice to see a different part of the City" (Gorilla is basically opposite the Ritz, on the same street.

• Like 2

On 06/11/2022 at 12:22, sharkyvilla said:

Does anyone know of any decent indie bands on tour at the moment? 

Second @theboyangel's vote for John, they're terrific.

I would have said Phoxjaw, but they've just been dropped from a festival due to allegations (refuted by the band, naturally, who've in turn gone to the police) against the singer so... maybe wait and see on that one. 😬

Brutus' new LP recently dropped and it's mega.  Haven't checked if they're touring it over here yet at the mo. Sorry, these are all a bit on the heavier side as opposed to your more jangly indie stuff.

For something lighter, new VLMV LP from a few weeks back is beautiful, think he's still touring it.  Nothing too much of a departure from his previous material, but great all the same.

I believe A Formal Horse and Modern Rituals are currently touring, might be up your alley.

My latest find have been Mandrake Handshake, who are touring at the mo and they're a boatload of fun:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Second @theboyangel's vote for John, they're terrific.

I would have said Phoxjaw, but they've just been dropped from a festival due to allegations (refuted by the band, naturally, who've in turn gone to the police) against the singer so... maybe wait and see on that one. 😬

Brutus' new LP recently dropped and it's mega.  Haven't checked if they're touring it over here yet at the mo. Sorry, these are all a bit on the heavier side as opposed to your more jangly indie stuff.

For something lighter, new VLMV LP from a few weeks back is beautiful, think he's still touring it.  Nothing too much of a departure from his previous material, but great all the same.

I believe A Formal Horse and Modern Rituals are currently touring, might be up your alley.

My latest find have been Mandrake Handshake, who are touring at the mo and they're a boatload of fun:

Think the new mandrake handshake EP is out Friday, agree they're decent!

Â