The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

4 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I've done Sundays on 2 previous years and seeing lineups before that. They do somewhat have some nostalgia acts from 90s and now edging into the 2000s. Although you don't really get the middle aged man vibe when you're there.

In defence of bookers its probably quite a hard to get a family festival lineup spot on. Even just for my circumstances. I doubt I'd go to a festival with my Mrs as I'd have no interest in what she would want to go to, which would probably piss her off as I would not see her the whole time😂 then there is the kids who I do get to listen to some of my music but they're 5 and 10 so it's pretty mainstream although the eldest is starting to develop her own taste.

The worst area was where they have some DJ's as I did feel a bit old there and lots were dressed for a night out and on the sniff. That bit was a bit less family friendly. Although a nice set up in Southsea Castle. In fact the whole set up and location is pretty good if not let down a bit on the lineup which it will get judged on.

At least if Sunday isn't popular the queues at the bar will be short.

Yeah dont take it as a criticism of you, I go to a fair few festivals that are pretty similar, and I am a middle aged man that goes to festivals with friends and partners.

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Yeah dont take it as a criticism of you, I go to a fair few festivals that are pretty similar, and I am a middle aged man that goes to festivals with friends and partners.

Don't worry didn't read it that way. 

Apart from these few one dayers at Victorious I don't think I've been to a festival since Glastonbury 10 years ago. I'm not sure what one I'd go to now. Few line up posters have enough to pull me in to rally my mates together for another. When I was younger I think the line up mattered less it was just 3-5days on this piss and whatever else. Now I'd want enough to see to make the ticket price worthwhile. May or may not happen but certainly got another Glastonbury in me, whether that's with mates or taking my girls in a few years time. Its probably the only one that has something on somewhere at whatever time.

And as  I touched on before me and the Mrs certainly didn't get together because of shared music taste so us going to one together wouldn't really work.

Was at Municipal Waste/Kreator/Lamb of God last night - was originally meant to be April 2020! The last of covid postponed gigs and was excellent. Felt like 3 years of frustration released.

Now just waiting for good old Napalm Death to come on stage. Nice to get back to normality properly.

• Like 2

On 10/03/2023 at 00:31, theboyangel said:

Just back from Shame in Bristol - absolute epic gig. The band really are a quality live act! 

0FF8608A-157C-494F-9DF3-6A4E84185A55.jpeg

Ah, I was gonna get last minute tickets but weather put me off the drive from Brum. Thought about doing Manchester today but left it too late. Might try and do the final UK date in London end of April now. New stuff sound good?

Seen them a couple of times, the first at a festival I think not long after first album came out and had never heard of them. They were the absolute standout from the festival, absolutely class live. Second was the second album tour.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Ah, I was gonna get last minute tickets but weather put me off the drive from Brum. Thought about doing Manchester today but left it too late. Might try and do the final UK date in London end of April now. New stuff sound good?

Seen them a couple of times, the first at a festival I think not long after first album came out and had never heard of them. They were the absolute standout from the festival, absolutely class live. Second was the second album tour.

Deffo go see them again if you have the opportunity - the new material transposes really well live and slots in amongst the best of their back catalogue!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got about 19 hours of cumulative train travel to get to one gig and one two-dayer next month. 😬

First up:

May be an image of text that says "YOURCODENAMEIS:MILO LIVE AT THE CLUNY NEWCASTLE UPON-TYNE WITH SUPPORT FROM KKETT 07/04/23 AND DUNES 08/04/23 ç"

This was originally scheduled for something like late 2020 as a fundraiser for the venue, it's been rescheduled about 3 times since and I've been fretting the possibility of it being canned forever throughout, but it's finally going ahead.  YCNI:M are an absolutely seminal band for me and I never got to see them live all those years ago.  Super excited, and an added bonus that by the time we get back from Newcastle we'll still have two days off to recover.

The weekend after that, it's up to Leeds for:

May be an image of text that says "bad owl presents... STRANGEFORMS SATURDAY 15th & SUNDAY 16th APRIL BRUDENELL SOCIAL CLUB, LEEDS 2023 JAMIE LENMAN // CONJURER SLOW CRUSH // THE GURU GURU // THE ST PIERRE SNAKE INVASION BICURIOUS // COLOSSAL SQUID //VAA// GOD AL ONE FES // DEAD BIRD // GRAYWAVE ENVOYS //SANG FROID"

Mostly heading to this in lieu of RADAR Festival which I used to hit up every year; they (RADAR) moved from Guildford (i.e. a short train ride away) to Manchester this year so for the added travel/hotel cost, Strangeforms has the better line-up for me (RADAR's good but leans way too much on the tech-metal/djent for me, I like a bit more variety in my weekenders).  Plus I'll take any excuse for a pilgrimage to the Brudenell, one of my favourite venues.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Goat at The Mill last night. One of the best gigs I’ve ever been to - the sound is much more heavier live than what I expected!

The support, Japanese Television, were excellent too. 

• Like 3

image.thumb.jpeg.72d909dead6d3c29330ed12307ec8478.jpeg

Simon Rattle and the London Symphony Orchestra performing Mahler's 7th on Sunday.

An extra piece had been added, the Poulenc anti fascist composition for choir  'Figure Humaine'. A work that had been written in secret in Nazi occupied France.

During the interval Rattle had this to say...

"Ladies and gentlemen,

I have a lot to say about what is happening in classical music in this country – as does anyone in our profession right now.

But please don’t look so alarmed! I’m not going to bludgeon you with it. I hope that our most eloquent communication can be through music; but just allow me five minutes.

More than 40 years ago, I had an unforgettable conversation with the wonderful and much missed stage and opera director, Sir Peter Hall when we were working together in Glyndebourne. He was, in this time in the Thatcher years, running the National Theatre, and was very much someone who was defending the whole cultural sector.

We sat and had lunch and I said, “Peter, it’s a cheeky question, but it seems like every month the Prime Minister is attacking you from the Commons. So how does that feel?” He says, “Well, to be honest, Simon, it doesn’t feel wonderful, but someone has to do it.” And then Peter looked and did his most charming smile with the most mischievous, twinkle in his eyes, and said, “Guess what, it will be your turn next.”

And so, thank you, Peter, you probably say this much better than I do. But there we are.

The last few months have been devastating for our sector. After the Arts Council’s swingeing cuts in November, which have affected all of us and left some extraordinary groups fighting for their lives, we were all stopped in our tracks by the proposed vandalism by the BBC, of which the closure of the BBC singers was only the tip of the iceberg.

There’s a kind of dishonesty at the heart of many of the decisions. George Orwell will recognise the language: ‘Refresh the administration’ and ‘reimagine the art form’

When the two largest supporters of classical music in this country cut away at the flesh of our culture in this way, it means that the direction of travel has become deeply alarming. It’s clear we are facing a long-term fight for existence and we cannot just quietly acquiesce to the dismantling or dismembering of so many important companies.

There is nobody here tonight, even musicians, who do not recognise the enormous challenges faced by the world at present and in this country in particular, where people are struggling even to feed and heat themselves. But none of this is a force majeure. It is rooted in political choices. And we do have to ask ourselves, when we are hopefully the other side of this, what kind of country we want to live in?

I, for one, am hoping that classical music will still be able to flourish – of course the musicians here have had no choice but to become past masters of doing more with less. But the closeness to the edge means that as support is constantly cut, there is no more room to manoeuvre, and inevitably organisations will start to fail. And as other political decisions affect music in schools and then music colleges, the vital organic pipeline that feeds our music will start to run dry.

We understand that this is a time of belt-tightening and that change is inevitable. We could help, if we were ever asked or consulted: classical music is still a very fragile, interconnected ecosystem, and we know about adapting it without damaging any of the vital functions along the way. This is frankly not true of many of the people who are currently making decisions without any coherent plan. Of course, they are also in a difficult situation, as the government has slashed their financial possibilities, political choice.

But there’s a kind of dishonesty at the heart of many of the decisions. George Orwell will recognise the language: “Refresh the administration” and “reimagine the art form”. They are two bits of “newsspeak” which mean the opposite of the actual words, but you can all choose your own personal idiocies.

Anyone with knowledge of how an orchestra actually functions will know you can’t reduce the membership by 20% by natural wastage or in any other means – it is then no longer an orchestra and also all the years of building up a team expertise have gone out of the window. This should not need explaining.

If you actually want opera to be experienced in more parts of the country, it is ludicrous to cut the grants of the companies who do exactly that. This should not need explaining. And by the way, without an orchestra or chorus you no longer have an opera company - these are not things that can just be reassembled later, or bought in from Ikea. Or not yet at least. This should not need explaining.

So many of the problems are rooted in a political ignorance of what this art form entails, and more worryingly, there seems to be a stubborn pride in the ignorance.

Up and down the country, the situation is similar. What we hope is that over the next weeks and months, many more of these stories will be told.

We are in a fight, and we need to ensure that classical music remains part of the beating heart of our country, of our country and of our culture."

• Like 2

Blur have been announced as the first act next month for when "The Halls" reopens, The Civic and The Wulfrun as they are really known. This is a warm up for the much larger dates they are playing later in the year. I recall they have played a couple of warm up dates over the years at the civic, so not a huge surprise. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Blur have been announced as the first act next month for when "The Halls" reopens, The Civic and The Wulfrun as they are really known. This is a warm up for the much larger dates they are playing later in the year. I recall they have played a couple of warm up dates over the years at the civic, so not a huge surprise. 

I'm seeing them at Wembley but I'm tempted by one of the smaller intimate venues , I've got a presale link for tomorrow so might try my luck 

• Like 1

well that was a waste of time 

pre sale  - assigned a random place in the queue  ..was in the select your tickets section inside 1 minute after it opened ..and surprise surprise no tickets available even though its capped at 2 per booking

I don't even know why they pretend its a fair fight 

55 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

well that was a waste of time 

pre sale  - assigned a random place in the queue  ..was in the select your tickets section inside 1 minute after it opened ..and surprise surprise no tickets available even though its capped at 2 per booking

I don't even know why they pretend its a fair fight 

On the plus side, you don’t have to go and see Blur. 😛

• Haha 3

Peter Hook at Sub89 in Reading last night , great intimate venue holding around 200 people 

last nights set was a New Order set , followed by the full “closer” album followed by “Unknown Pleasures” … then an encore , with of course “love will tear us apart” and a bouncing mosh pit 

I’m seeing New Order later in the year , they will be hard pushed to be as good as Last nights gig 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Off to see "The View" tonight in hackney 

this happened at their Manchester gig last night , so no idea if the gig will go ahead not 

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Off to see "The View" tonight in hackney 

this happened at their Manchester gig last night , so no idea if the gig will go ahead not 

Its off tony, I saw it reported on https://www.gettothefront.co.uk/

The View, has postponed tonight’s show at London’s Oslo following onstage issues between band members at last night’s gig at Manchester’s Deaf Institute

• Thanks 1

Â