The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

I am being dragged along tomorrow night kicking and screaming by my wife to see her all time favourite band Jethro Tull at Cambridge Corn exchange. Jethro Tull is not my cup of tea, but its live music and it's got to be better than watching telly ..........isn't  it??????

47 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I am being dragged along tomorrow night kicking and screaming by my wife to see her all time favourite band Jethro Tull at Cambridge Corn exchange. Jethro Tull is not my cup of tea, but its live music and it's got to be better than watching telly ..........isn't  it??????

Tell her she is living in the past. 

• Haha 1

Tonight, My second The Room gig since they reformed. Good stuff. Couple of new songs from the next album added to the set Again at the Carnival Brewery which is definitely great for small gigs, all beers brewed on the premises, no daft prices it’s just a bit of a trek to an industrial estate on the edge of town but craft/ Cask ale at sensible prices at a gig isn’t to be sniffed at

My other half has been wanting to go to a Jane McDonald concert. I’ve been very positively encouraging her. My standard speech on ‘music is music’ and how I bet it will actually be a good night with audience interaction, anecdotes and rollicking good crowd pleasing songs.

I think I’ve just realised she means both of us.

I’m literally sat here now strategising how I stay sounding super super positive and then come up with the thought hey! This could be more of a friends / book group kinda thing.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

My other half has been wanting to go to a Jane McDonald concert. I’ve been very positively encouraging her. My standard speech on ‘music is music’ and how I bet it will actually be a good night with audience interaction, anecdotes and rollicking good crowd pleasing songs.

I think I’ve just realised she means both of us.

I’m literally sat here now strategising how I stay sounding super super positive and then come up with the thought hey! This could be more of a friends / book group kinda thing.

One for the confessions thread. A few months back I had a very similar conversation with my wife. Now it seems we have tickets to see Jane McDonald in blackpool later this year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

One for the confessions thread. A few months back I had a very similar conversation with my wife. Now it seems we have tickets to see Jane McDonald in blackpool later this year. 

We fight like brothers, my man.

• Like 1

Won't really work if the tickets have already been bought, but I've found great success with the "I don't really fancy it, but why not put the money saved by me not coming to you going all out and really treating yourself?".

Thus far this has only backfired once; this year, in my efforts to avoid having to see Dogstar my wife has forked out for the VIP tickets as they include a photo with the band, thus enabling her to be within arms-reach of Keanu Reeves. 

She's booked a hotel for the night, and lunch the next day at what described as a "sushi conyevor restaurant but for cheese not sushi".

Heaven help the poor bastard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

What’s worse than going to see Jane McDonald? Going to see Jane McDonald in Blackpool. I doubt Chris can beat that.

Jane McDonald would be grounds for divorce

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

What’s worse than going to see Jane McDonald? Going to see Jane McDonald in Blackpool. I doubt Chris can beat that.

Jane McDonald would be grounds for divorce

Yeah, I think he’s got me there.

I did see Brian May at an ice rink, which had the acoustics of an ice rink. Saw Beverly Craven, or to be more precise, her feet, and a piano lid. The support for that one was a lecture on toxic shock syndrome and a goody bag of tampax.

But yeah, I think he’s beat me.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Now it seems we have tickets to see Jane McDonald in blackpool later this year

I have no idea who Jane McDonald is, but it sounds like sincere condolences are in order.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

In addition we are staying at the football ground.  

Could be worse, you could be in the Norbreck Castle

(and yes I have stayed there, the night before Black did a kids TV show called It’s Wicked iirc.) 

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

My other half has been wanting to go to a Jane McDonald concert.

You are lucky; mine wants to go to see Robbie Williams !!

• Like 1

On 24/03/2024 at 09:12, theboyangel said:

Made the trip to Bristol yesterday to see Yard Act at the O2 Academy.

Supported by the surprisingly good Gustaf, a five piece (four girls, one guy) Brooklyn band who were the perfect foil for the headliner. They all looked like they were thoroughly enjoying themselves, especially the percussionist who utilised anything for bells, tins, voice modulator and a variety of squeeze dog toys! 

I’ve seen Yard Act before and was interested to see how there new more ‘danceable’ sound transposed live. They were absolutely phenomenal with the new stuff seamlessly fitting in with older tracks. 

The band clearly had a great night too and the capacity crowd were well up for it too! 

Took my 17yr old lad who, to date was happy standing a little back or to the side to watch gigs. This time we were front and centre in the bouncing throng! 

No doubt I’d definitely watch them again! 

IMG_4751.jpeg

I was there too! Great gig!

• Like 2

Here’s what is on my plate 

Robyn Hitchcock May 16 Sacramento, CA

Peter Rowan June 1 Napa, CA

Elvis Costello/Darryl Hall June 12 Lincoln, CA

Drive-by Truckers June 28 & 29 San Francisco, CA

Dave Alvin & Jimmie Dale Gilmore July 17 Chico, CA

Alejandro Escovedo July 19 Chico, CA

Neil Young & Crazy Horse July 25 Bend, OR

Bob Dylan/Willie Nelson/John Mellencamp August 4 Wheatland, CA

Los Lobos August 9 Sacramento, CA

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Elvis Costello/Darryl Hall June 12 Lincoln, CA

Is that a double bill or a collaboration? Strange strange double bill, it’s a strange enough colab but that’s just not what I’d call complimentary artists

17 hours ago, bickster said:

Is that a double bill or a collaboration? Strange strange double bill, it’s a strange enough colab but that’s just not what I’d call complimentary artists

Double bill. I originally hoped it was one of those double bill tours where the acts rotated who closed but it looks like DH is headlining every show. I am a huge Elvis fan so it’s a mild disappointment 

Sorry for the delayed reply. I am new and used up my daily post quota so had to wait for the clock to reset 😀

On 02/02/2024 at 11:28, imavillan said:

Happy days, i've got tickets for the Bristol gig

One of my all time favourite ever albums released in 1996

Not that i'll expect him to play anything from it 

spacer.png

gutted i can't go to this now.

If anyone wants the tickets foc or a donation to VT DM me 

Mods; apologies is this is not allowed. I've looked at the rules and couldn't see anything unless i missed it.

Edited by imavillan
  • Sad 1

Â