The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Just back from seeing Warmduscher at the Cavern in Exeter, which only holds around 250 people.

Absolutely cracking gig, there were shades of Parliament, RatM, the beasties and iggy all rolled into one glorious noisy bastard lovechild! 

Would deffo recommend seeing them live. 

• Like 3

Saw Wardruna at Symphony Hall on Monday. Great sound to the venue, but still weird to sit down to a “metal” show (although not really metal, traditional Viking music).

Meant to have seen Me and That Man next Friday but that seems to have been cancelled as the guitarist is fighting in Ukraine!

Then meant to be seeing Primordial in April originally in Birmingham, however has apparently moved to Southend via Dover. Not a single message about it from the ticket office. Not exactly around the corner anymore!

Ah well found out F***ed Up are coming to UK next month so got a ticket to the Brum gig so very happy with that! :D

Sit down gigs you say? Aged audience you say? Aged musicians too? 

Laurel Canyon Union* (with guest Nick Hall) at Ilkley Playhouse, last night. 

* (Bunch of my mates, seen 'em dozens of times, and tbh this wasn't one of their best gigs, but that's not the point). First gig in ages for Mrs M - hope we didn't catch covid.  :( 

Screenshot_2022-03-26-07-56-33-01_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Genie said:

Just turned the football off, flicked the Ukraine concert on (ITV) and it’s Paloma Faith, absolutely horrific. She sounds like Vic Reeves when he does his club singer bit.

Good cause and all that, but the whole thing was ghastly. 

Not that I was thinking of going but as I had a priority access code , thought I’d check it out

Roxy music at the 02 , block A , so first 20 rows … £154 …. Wowsers that’s a lot for a guy who butchered a John Lennon song 

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Wowsers that’s a lot for a guy who improved a John Lennon song to be considered just shit

FTFY

But seriously its four members of the classic line-up, not often you get that these days. I cant ever concieve paying that much or even going to an arena show but that Roxy price for the line-up is far better than some bands from that era that still play

Oh and Brian Ferry is a word removed but hey

• Like 1

Booked tickets for Carly Pearce at Gorilla in Manchester. Too small a venue in my opinion but a good venue none the less. Aside from comedy gigs this is in September and may be my first since Feb 2020. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Booked tickets for Carly Pearce at Gorilla in Manchester. Too small a venue in my opinion but a good venue none the less. Aside from comedy gigs this is in September and may be my first since Feb 2020. 

Great venue. I think its about time I looked for a few gigs to go to

• Like 2

Went to my first gig in two and a bit years to see Cory Wong (of Vulfpeck fame and an excellent guitarist in his own right). Second time I've seen him and both times it's been in Bristol. Was a great night 

• Like 2

Simple Minds at Wembley last night .. I was a fan of them until they went the full Bono around the  Belfast Child era , so was quite looking forward to it 

Wouldn't say it was crap , but it was a bit meh if I'm honest ..  possibly due to a combination of factors  .....  Most people didn't know about 90% of the songs they played and were only there to hear "Don't you forget about me"   .. Wembley Arena sound system is a bit pants , ...  it was all seated so couldn't snake our way down near the front and soak up some atmosphere and bounce around  ..and  £7.50 a pint also soured the mood a little !! 

the drummer was probably the best bit of the show , though she's a fairly recent addition to the band and not really involved with any of the hits they had 

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I was a fan of them until they went the full Bono

Good analysis and analogy. I quite liked some of their earlier stuff, at the time, but like you say, they disappeared up their own fundament. I guess the combo of a big old hall, iffy sound system and acoustics, a load of songs no one knows, high beer prices, high ticket prices and you still going despite all that suggests you must be from that there down south?

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 00:22, bickster said:

FTFY

But seriously its four members of the classic line-up, not often you get that these days. I cant ever concieve paying that much or even going to an arena show but that Roxy price for the line-up is far better than some bands from that era that still play

Oh and Brian Ferry is a word removed but hey

Yes agree, booked to see them at the O2,cheaper seats £50 so not too bad.

Not had chance to see them live before so prepared to put up with such a soulless venue.
Ferry brilliant songwriter but what a dick.

• Like 1

Got F**cked Up booked for next Wednesday at the Castle and Falcon in Brum. Never been before and never seen the band before so excited on both accounts. All for less than £20, much better than Roxy Music or whatever! :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Wembley Arena sound system is a bit pants

Venues rarely have sound systems, blame the band for that or rather their choice of sound engineer, he designs the rig and there aren't that many arenas in the country, if the sound engineer is used to arena circuit, he'll know what he'll need and how to compensate for each venues accoustics, If the sound isn't right by the third song, he's shit and thats in a normal venue, in an arena it should be right from the off because he should just know how to compensate straight away during the first number.

Simple Minds - Everything after New Gold Dream was crap. Really liked them before that

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Got F**cked Up booked for next Wednesday at the Castle and Falcon in Brum. Never been before and never seen the band before so excited on both accounts. All for less than £20, much better than Roxy Music or whatever! :) 

Decent venue iirc.

• Thanks 1

Just been to see the Psychedelic Furs.Such a brilliant group.I don’t think they get the kind of recognition they deserve,obviously their greatest stuff was 40 years ago but they have a new album which is pretty good.

This is the first concert I have been to since the outbreak of the pandemic.What an incredibly uplifting experience live music can be.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Just been to see the Psychedelic Furs.Such a brilliant group.I don’t think they get the kind of recognition they deserve,obviously their greatest stuff was 40 years ago but they have a new album which is pretty good.

This is the first concert I have been to since the outbreak of the pandemic.What an incredibly uplifting experience live music can be.

I saw them the summer before the pandemic and I think they are one of the tightest bands I've ever witnessed

I'm always shocked that I own the first five albums on vinyl. They were always "second division" for me at the time but as time has ticked away I still play all five of those albums whereas there are bands that I really liked at the same time that I never play any more.

• Like 1

Â