The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

5 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Burning Spear playing two UK gigs 13th and 14th August, Birmingham and London. Might have to make a trip to see the family. Be good if the Villa are at home the same day. 

I had a quick look and as soon as I saw the ticket prices it got a huge no freaking way from me

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

I had a quick look and as soon as I saw the ticket prices it got a huge no freaking way from me

I've not got that far yet. I'm not sure I want to look then now. 

BBC absolutely loving this ABBA show. for those that aren't aware, there's a new ABBA show whereby there's a live band but the group themselves appear as 'avatars', essentially digital so not singing live. and apparently it's wonderful and is 'the future', so much so that other bands are considering doing the same

i really, really, really hope it's not. it's not for me. if you're paying to watch a band, the minimum i expect is that they're there in person

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

BBC absolutely loving this ABBA show. for those that aren't aware, there's a new ABBA show whereby there's a live band but the group themselves appear as 'avatars', essentially digital so not singing live. and apparently it's wonderful and is 'the future', so much so that other bands are considering doing the same

i really, really, really hope it's not. it's not for me. if you're paying to watch a band, the minimum i expect is that they're there in person

It's not for me as it isn't Abba, but as this really as close as it's going to be, if people want to spend their money on effectively an attraction, and not a concert, a fool and his money etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

It's not for me as it isn't Abba, but as this really as close as it's going to be, if people want to spend their money on effectively an attraction, and not a concert, a fool and his money etc. 

what i don't get is that older artists than ABBA are still going strong. if they were dead then i'd kinda get it, but they're not. it seemed like a lazy money maker to me

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

what i don't get is that older artists than ABBA are still going strong. if they were dead then i'd kinda get it, but they're not. it seemed like a lazy money maker to me

I think for them, you have their history but also Agnethas crippling stage fright. That's a guess, but they don't need the money so it may be that there isn't that need. 

Long shot but turns out I've a spare ticket for Mogwai at Ally Pally in London tonight if someone wants it for free, you'll just have to meet me at the venue for doors at 18:30.

The only stadium gigs I've ever been to as a punter were two nights at the NEC in 1990 to see Depeche Mode.

On the first night we'd got a bit into the set and Dave Gahan launched the towel he'd been mopping his brow with into the audience.

On the second night at the same point in the set as previously, again a towel went into the crowd.

The difference this time was that a few of the hardcore fans at the front had guessed it was part of the running order.

We briefly lost sight of Dave G under a pile of towels.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Xann said:

The only stadium gigs I've ever been to as a punter were two nights at the NEC in 1990 to see Depeche Mode.

On the first night we'd got a bit into the set and Dave Gahan launched the towel he'd been mopping his brow with into the audience.

On the second night at the same point in the set as previously, again a towel went into the crowd.

The difference this time was that a few of the hardcore fans at the front had guessed it was part of the running order.

We briefly lost sight of Dave G under a pile of towels.

Reminds me of the first and second time I witnessed that Irish band named after a spy plane with a dwarf named after a dog biscuit as lead pontificater

Same songs, same order, same time he climbed the speaker stack, same bullshit out of his mouth, I swear his sweat dripped at the right time

• Haha 2

Just now, bickster said:

Reminds me of the first and second time I witnessed that Irish band named after a spy plane with a dwarf named after a dog biscuit as lead pontificater

Same songs, same order, same time he climbed the speaker stack, same bullshit out of his mouth, I swear his sweat dripped at the right time

See also Green Day, seen them around 4 or 5 times. Same schtick every time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I was forced to attend a show from those same iPhone-hijackers, and they opened and closed the set with their latest chart single.

Gobshites.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I was forced to attend a show from those same iPhone-hijackers, and they opened and closed the set with their latest chart single.

Gobshites.

That's just bad form, you should never play a song twice in one set. NEVER!!!!!

Those ABBA shows are twice a day, potentially for 5 years if there is demand.

It’s not really a live gig, it’s an alternative to the West End for the bus trip brigade.

I don’t imagine it’ll be replicated by the kind of band you can see in The Windmill, Brixton.

7 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

That's the Mogwai cherry popped then. My word they really are something else live. Think I felt the kickdrum rattle the very soul out of my body.

Fantasic live and very loud, I was so glad the other year when I found out they were playing in Liverpool (on the night of the gig) and was just moaning to my mate that I never knew they were on and he turned out to be the promoter (I didn't even realise this either). An hour later, I'd picked up another mate and we were in!

• Like 1

Saw a few bands at Bearded Theory Festival. The Mission, Frank Carter and Placebo on the first day. Frank Carter was good, saw Gallows years back when he was in them and thought they were OK, in this guise I enjoyed him more. Placebo didn't play the hits and The Mission, well it was The Mission. 

Saturday watch ska band The Kubrick's. Not bad. 2 piece called John. They probably have their fans, it wasnt for me. Misty in Roots. **** sake. The Skints, seen before but my god this line up is killing me. Ferocious Dog, a pound shop levellers, but my grandson liked them, a band called Shame, which I suspect is popular, and prior to Patti Smith, Frank Turner. He was excellent. Patti Smith was OK. She was never going to play the set I wanted, but she was fine. 

First large gathering since February 2020. It felt good. 

• Like 4

The Mission, odd one for Bearded Theory. The fans that followed them were the Eskimos. Now they were called the Eskimos because they were lead by a bloke called Ray Woolsey, the Mission fans knew him as Eskimo Joe because he supposedly looked like an eskimo but he was of South American ancestry. In Liverpool however, we knew him as Ray Ramone, he was a regular punter at Planet X and also managed local goth band (I forget).... anyway. Ray lived in the ground floor flat of a house that I lived in the top flat of. Now not only did I DJ at Planet X but also worked in the ROyal COurt where many bands played inc the Mish. So whenever the Mish played the Eskimos would sleep over at our house or should I say on the stairs leading up to my flat. We'd work the gig and go on the piss but we'd go on the piss later than the Eskimos because they had to start hitching to the next gig in the morning so we'd come home much later and just have to tread all over them to get to the flat, they all hated me. Ray would just laugh and say I told 'em :D

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Mission, odd one for Bearded Theory. The fans that followed them were the Eskimos. Now they were called the Eskimos because they were lead by a bloke called Ray Woolsey, the Mission fans knew him as Eskimo Joe because he supposedly looked like an eskimo but he was of South American ancestry. In Liverpool however, we knew him as Ray Ramone, he was a regular punter at Planet X and also managed local goth band (I forget).... anyway. Ray lived in the ground floor flat of a house that I lived in the top flat of. Now not only did I DJ at Planet X but also worked in the ROyal COurt where many bands played inc the Mish. So whenever the Mish played the Eskimos would sleep over at our house or should I say on the stairs leading up to my flat. We'd work the gig and go on the piss but we'd go on the piss later than the Eskimos because they had to start hitching to the next gig in the morning so we'd come home much later and just have to tread all over them to get to the flat, they all hated me. Ray would just laugh and say I told 'em :D

Every year they put on a band that will appeal to that audience, The Mission this time. 

Â