The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Saw Jane Weaver tonight at the Hare & Hounds and she was more than decent. 

There was a lot from Flock, her latest opus but a lot of older more electronic/looped stuff too.

Well worth the entrance fee regardless! 

861603D2-22F3-4612-9F98-8F7ECB7E35D4.jpeg

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 3

I was meant to be seeing Parkway Drive at Wembley last April. They've finally cancelled after pushing it back a couple of times, and the good news is now they're playing in Nottingham, and have a much better warm up act.

A 30 minute round trip on the bus instead of a 6 hour drive, I can have a few beers, and get to see While She Sleeps instead of Crystal Lake, when I'd have paid the entry fee for WSS anyway. Brilliant news.  They're one of the few acts I'd like to see perform in a stadium, but I'll happily wait for that trade. Not until next year though.

Next weekend, I have Brilly Bragg on Friday then Svalbard on the Sunday :D 

• Like 2

Suede at Alexandra Palace last night  , my 4th time seeing them in the last few years. ( love that venue , before the main arena  they have a court with loads of food stuff , local bands playing and never a queue at the bar )

Was the 25th Anniversary of Coming up so they played that in its entirety then came back and did a full on set ... few times it looked like some besotted female was going to kidnap him and take him home , but it all added to the vibe and the band and the crowd were fully into it 

looking forward to seeing them a 5th time some point in the future 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 4

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Suede at Alexandra Palace last night  , my 4th time seeing them in the last few years. ( love that venue , before the main area  , its like an indoor festival with loads of food stuff , local bands playing in the food area and never a queue at the bar )

Was the 25th Anniversary of Coming up so they played that in its entirety then came back and did a full on set ... few times it looked like some besotted female was going to kidnap him and take him home , but it all added to the vibe and the band and the crowd were fully into it 

looking forward to seeing them a 5th time some point in the future 

A friend of mine has been to something like 4 nights on this tour and his updates have made me a little jealous. Suede are a band that I wouldn't say I was a fan of but then I look at what I own and how many times I have seen them, it contradicts it a little.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xann said:

You'll be wanting front row tix in future, @rjw63? :D

Oh I say, that's disgusting, foul, obscene.

You supply the tickets, I'll bring the goggles.

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2021 at 21:22, Davkaus said:

Next weekend, I have Brilly Bragg on Friday then Svalbard on the Sunday :D 

I'm getting cold feet with these, I've been really surprised they're not asking to see any proof of vaccinations or negative tests. I've been looking forward to the shows but I think I might sit things out until the new year and see what happens with a third spike

On 17/11/2021 at 20:43, Davkaus said:

I'm getting cold feet with these, I've been really surprised they're not asking to see any proof of vaccinations or negative tests. I've been looking forward to the shows but I think I might sit things out until the new year and see what happens with a third spike

I hope you went last night and still planning to go on Sunday. I think we are getting to the stage where life is too short to not go out and enjoy yourself. 

I’m also seeing Svalbard tonight, which is the first proper gig I’ve been to since February 2020. Nearly 2 years without one has been absolutely heartbreaking so I am so looking forward to it! Just got to survive the Villa game beforehand but it’s going to be a good day come what may!

10 hours ago, cyrusr said:

I hope you went last night and still planning to go on Sunday. I think we are getting to the stage where life is too short to not go out and enjoy yourself. 

I’m also seeing Svalbard tonight, which is the first proper gig I’ve been to since February 2020. Nearly 2 years without one has been absolutely heartbreaking so I am so looking forward to it! Just got to survive the Villa game beforehand but it’s going to be a good day come what may!

I did end up going, and though Bragg put on a damn good show, **** me it reminded me how much I hate people. Bit different to the normal gigs I go to, but I ended up having a go at two old crows who spent the entire gig having a chat to each other in shrill voices, even during the quiet songs. This sounds stupid, I know, you don't expect silence at a gig, and if it was cheering, or singing along, or the odd chat in between songs, no problem, but they were prattling on constantly for the full first half of the set. 2 or 3 people politely asked them to be quiet. They did for a few minutes at a time then caried on like they were catching up in a pub. I got so annoyed after the last person asked them, when they carried on, I walked over and screamed at them to SHUT THE **** UP, we paid £30 to hear the artist, not their tedious bollocks. 

People talking isn't a problem that's possible at a metal gig, so I doubt I'll have similar problems at Svalbard, if anyone can make themselves heard at that kind of gig, fair play to them. It'll be my first time in a pit for 21 months!

Enjoy the gig!

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I did end up going, and though Bragg put on a damn good show, **** me it reminded me how much I hate people. Bit different to the normal gigs I go to, but I ended up having a go at two old crows who spent the entire gig having a chat to each other in shrill voices, even during the quiet songs. This sounds stupid, I know, you don't expect silence at a gig, and if it was cheering, or singing along, or the odd chat in between songs, no problem, but they were prattling on constantly for the full first half of the set. 2 or 3 people politely asked them to be quiet. They did for a few minutes at a time then caried on like they were catching up in a pub. I got so annoyed after the last person asked them, when they carried on, I walked over and screamed at them to SHUT THE **** UP, we paid £30 to hear the artist, not their tedious bollocks. 

People talking isn't a problem that's possible at a metal gig, so I doubt I'll have similar problems at Svalbard, if anyone can make themselves heard at that kind of gig, fair play to them. It'll be my first time in a pit for 21 months!

Enjoy the gig!

Yeah you definitely won’t get that at Svalbard tomorrow! They were excellent but more just f***ing delighted at going to a proper gig again after all this. Around 21 months as well for me, last one before this was Napalm Death in Feb 2020. 

Up next Pigs x7 on Thursday but I think that may be it sadly for this year as a few have cancelled or postponed until next year. Still good to be back!

And I got to sing “Sweet Caroline” in the Holte End this afternoon too ;) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Up next Pigs x7 on Thursday but I think that may be it sadly for this year as a few have cancelled or postponed until next year. Still good to be back!

I'm going to see Pigs too, but in a couple of weeks in Nottingham, I'm also going to see The Wildhearts and Enter Shikari before Christmas, then I think that's it until next year which is shaping up to be alright, looking like a normal year, so far I have these booked, quite a few of them I'll be seeing for the first time:

Evil Scarecrow

Beartooth

Architects

Gojira + Alien Weaponry

Machine Head + Amon Amarth

Parkway Drive + While She Sleeps

August Burns Red + Bury Tomorrow

I Prevail

Half Man, Half Biscuit

Meshuggah

I'm 50/50 on booking Sabaton tickets, mostly because Lordi are supporting :D 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm going to see Pigs too, but in a couple of weeks in Nottingham, I';m also going to see The Wilhearts and Enter Shikari before Christmas, then I think that's it until next year which is shaping up to be alright, looking like a normal year, so far I have these booked, quite a few of them I'll be seeing for the first time:

Evil Scarecrow

Beartooth

Architects

Gojira + Alien Weaponry

Machine Head + Amon Amarth

Parkway Drive + While She Sleeps

August Burns Red + Bury Tomorrow

I Prevail

Half Man, Half Biscuit

Meshuggah

I'm 50/50 on booking Sabaton tickets, mostly because Lordi are supporting :D 

There's some good bands on that list. I am tempted by Gojira but would have to travel to your neck of the woods for it! You should also definitely check out Employed To Serve if you haven't already who are also supporting. 

With Sabaton you should go. First caught them back in 2007/8 and they were great then. The last couple of albums are a bit so so but they are still good fun live. Mind you I don't think I would bother travelling to London or Leeds for it. 

For me, I did have Pitchshifter and Lamb of God that were due to to be this year but both gone back a year. I also have Mol, Enslaved and Primordial off the top of my head for a fair chunk of Black Metal (ish). 

• Like 1

I'm 50/50 on Lamb of God, I'd like to see them, but not enough to travel to Birmingham after work, in rush hour in the middle of winter...They're in Manchester on the Sunday though so I might take the longer trip and make a day of it. I haven't heard the others on your list though, I'll check them out as well as Employed to Serve. If you do end up going to the Gojira gig, let me know, there's a pint on me!

Sabaton are another one in Nottingham, it's both a blessing and a curse that I'm so close to the city centre so I have no excuses when bands turn up at the arena or Rock City, it's ten minutes away. 

• Like 1

Currently at Nec to see Offspring and The Hives.  Beer is shockingly ex pensive. 

Missus got covid yesterday so oldest son snatched up the freebie

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Currently at Nec to see Offspring and The Hives.  Beer is shockingly ex pensive. 

Missus got covid yesterday so oldest son snatched up the freebie

Offspring really are decent live, and they have a back catalogue of wall-to-wall classics.

Well worth it, and good seats above a stairwell so no twatt standing up in front.

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The Hives.

Which band are they copying this time around. Another one of those bands like the Dandy Warhols that seem to pretend to be a different band on every album but never with enough of their own thing going on

Just now, bickster said:

Which band are they copying this time around. Another one of those bands like the Dandy Warhols that seem to pretend to be a different band on every album but never with enough of their own thing going on

They were only on for about 6 or 7 numbers. Just played their most well known stuff.

Howling Pelle tried to piss the crowd off but won them over in the end.

• Like 1

Â