The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I know that. Sometimes it's still poor, it depends on the acoustics of the room. Wouldn't have worked in this case anyway - the mixing desk was on the stage, over at one side. Go figure. 

So they had the monitor desk and the front of house desk on the stage? Stttttrrrrange!

7 hours ago, bickster said:

So they had the monitor desk and the front of house desk on the stage? Stttttrrrrange!

There was no front of house desk. Yes, it was strange. 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

There was no front of house desk. Yes, it was strange. 

Teenage Fanclub? I have only seen this with tiny bands doing their own sound. Seems odd for a band of their stature. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Teenage Fanclub? I have only seen this with tiny bands doing their own sound. Seems odd for a band of their stature. 

I can only think it was up in the balcony behind us. It's been many years since I've been in that room. 

I didn't suggest that the sound was 'shit', just that it was slightly muddy. The general balance and volume was pretty typical for a rock gig. I'd never seen the Fannies live before, but what I'd heard on the records was crisp production, with the vocals/lyrics and jangly guitars crystal clear. As I'm not that familiar with the most of the songs they played, I'd like to have heard something clearer. The loyal fans in the audience knew them well enough to bellow along with the choruses without having to hear them particularly well. I'd have been the same with a band I knew better. They were OK, it's a style I generally like, and I kind of expected the atmosphere to be like that anyway. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I can only think it was up in the balcony behind us. It's been many years since I've been in that room. 

I didn't suggest that the sound was.  'shit', just that it was slightly muddy. The general balance and volume was pretty typical for a rock gig. I'd never seen the Fannies live before, but what I'd heard on the records was crisp production, with the vocals/lyrics and jangly guitars crystal clear. As I'm not that familiar with the most of the songs they played, I'd like to have heard something clearer. The loyal fans in the audience knew them well enough to bellow along with the choruses without having to hear them particularly well. I'd have been the same with a band I knew better. They were OK, it's a style I generally like, and I kind of expected the atmosphere to be like that anyway. 

I used to be a big fan of them. Loved them, but never saw them live as it was said they were poor live (early 90s) I didn't want to be disappointed. That said I would imagine that possibly isn't the case now. 

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I used to be a big fan of them. Loved them, but never saw them live as it was said they were poor live (early 90s) I didn't want to be disappointed. That said I would imagine that possibly isn't the case now. 

They certainly weren't poor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

went to see War on Drugs last night at the o2 academy in Brum.

Absolutely superb, faultless.

There’s a band I like everything I hear off them but never quite get around to buying their material and giving it a proper listen. 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

There’s a band I like everything I hear off them but never quite get around to buying their material and giving it a proper listen. 

I would very much recommend going to see them live if and when you get an opportunity, they were really really good, and like you, I’m a relatively casual ‘fan’ of theirs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

One of those everything sounds the same bands for me. All I hear is Bob Dylan on Speed

I don't dislike them but everyone of their songs is obviously them but it always sounds like the last song of theirs I heard

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

One of those everything sounds the same bands for me. All I hear is Bob Dylan on Speed

I don't dislike them but everyone of their songs is obviously them but it always sounds like the last song of theirs I heard

I'd like them a lot more if they dropped the motorik shite. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's not even the right sort of music for Motorik IMO because there isn't enough variation in the guitar lines, it's like they sort of have motorik guitars lines too if that makes sense

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'd like them a lot less if they dropped the motorik stuff. The most recent album I didn't buy, in part because it sounds like they'd been listening to too much Hotel California. I think I've got all, or most of their other albums, though.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I'd like them a lot less if they dropped the motorik stuff. The most recent album I didn't buy, in part because it sounds like they'd been listening to too much Hotel California. I think I've got all, or most of their other albums, though.

Fair enough, we have different (possibly opposite) tastes. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Fair enough, we have different (possibly opposite) tastes. 

There's a fair bit of Venn diagram overlap, I think. Definitely not "opposite",  although I'm pretty sure there's a good chunk of each other's taste that really isn't "[his] sort of thing at all".

• Like 1

El Ten Eleven pulling out of all their UK/EU dates, was meant to be seeing them at Portals festival in a month.  Wouldn't go as far to say they were the only reason I bought a ticket, there's plenty of other great stuff on (and I no longer have to worry about a potential Teeth Of The Sea clash) but Goddamnit they accounted for, like, maybe 70% of my impetus. 😭

Starting to feel like anything less than big ticket US acts are going to be increasingly scarce in their appearances over here, and am quite nervous about Maserati in a couple weeks.  At least I'd seen El Ten Eleven once before, Maserati are bucket-list level for me, will be properly gutted if it doesn't go ahead.

Post-this week's Mclusky show (ace as it was), I can definitely confirm my gig-legs have abandoned me through atrophy over the last few years.

Â