The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

5 hours ago, bickster said:

I saw them the summer before the pandemic and I think they are one of the tightest bands I've ever witnessed

I'm always shocked that I own the first five albums on vinyl. They were always "second division" for me at the time but as time has ticked away I still play all five of those albums whereas there are bands that I really liked at the same time that I never play any more.

They seemed to fuse a bit of Roxy,Bowie and Lydon together.Forever Now is the album of theirs I play the most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Only2McInallys said:

They seemed to fuse a bit of Roxy,Bowie and Lydon together.Forever Now is the album of theirs I play the most.

It’ll always be the first album that I play the most

On 06/04/2022 at 19:28, Only2McInallys said:

Just been to see the Psychedelic Furs.Such a brilliant group.I don’t think they get the kind of recognition they deserve,obviously their greatest stuff was 40 years ago but they have a new album which is pretty good.

This is the first concert I have been to since the outbreak of the pandemic.What an incredibly uplifting experience live music can be.

Playing here very soon for a pittance - might go see them!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If I didn't pick up a dose of covid in that crowd it'll be a bloody miracle. 

Fingers crossed, I’ve been to 2-3 ‘close’ gigs in the last few months and have remained covid free! 

Hopefully the same for you 🤞

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'd got a ticket for this gig, which I purchased in 2020, hoping that covid would be over by the time of the original date. I was going to go to this, but decided to give it a swerve, for the very reason you've alluded to. 

How was the gig? Please tell me it was terrible? 

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

I'd got a ticket for this gig, which I purchased in 2020, hoping that covid would be over by the time of the original date. I was going to go to this, but decided to give it a swerve, for the very reason you've alluded to. 

How was the gig? Please tell me it was terrible? 

I'm not the best judge - I own one TF album (Grand Prix), and they only played one song from it. The sound was rather muddy, too, so I found it all a bit... average. I only went because a mate had a spare ticket (like you, he'd been sitting on them for two years). 

I think a hardcore fan might have got more out of the gig than I did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The sound was rather muddy, too, so I found it all a bit... average. 

That'll do for me. Happy to tell myself I missed out on nothing. 👍

• Like 1

Going to see Ghost in Friday in Brum. Can't wait!

Here's the 5 star Guardian review of their Manchester show:

Metal

Ghost review – rock’n’roll pyro pantomime is hellishly good fun

AO Arena, Manchester

Tobias Forge’s band of ghouls just reached No 2 in the UK charts, and their symphonic metal – complete with bat wings, confetti and flamethrowers – has universal appeal

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/apr/11/ghost-review-rocknroll-pyro-pantomime-is-hellishly-good-fun

Edited by Lichfield Dean
URL wrong
  • Like 1

Ghost are always fantastic.

I was meant to be seeing Evil Scarecrow last weekend, and Ghost this weekend, but still having to give things a miss, with the covid numbers and having to test to see the little one in hospital. I had a dozen or so gigs booked in for the first half of the year and I doubt I'll be going to any of them, gutted!

The one I've most been looking forward to is Architects at the start of May. There's a chance!

Had a busy weekend. Saw Khruangbin with my brother on saturday and it was much better than I had hopes for. Mainly because I wasn't sure if they would translate well in a live setting, but they were brilliant! Would recommend.

Also saw Hällas last night with a group of friends. They played their first EP and their first LPs in order. What a show! They sound much heavier live and played their set to near perfection. Solid blend of 70s prog and early heavy metal. If you get the chance, catch them live!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Had a busy weekend. Saw Khruangbin with my brother on saturday and it was much better than I had hopes for. Mainly because I wasn't sure if they would translate well in a live setting, but they were brilliant! Would recommend.

Also saw Hällas last night with a group of friends. They played their first EP and their first LPs in order. What a show! They sound much heavier live and played their set to near perfection. Solid blend of 70s prog and early heavy metal. If you get the chance, catch them live!

Hällas sound like they're worth checking out. I've heard some of their music and liked it.

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Hällas sound like they're worth checking out. I've heard some of their music and liked it.

Worth it if only for hearing Star Rider live.

On 10/04/2022 at 10:04, mjmooney said:

I’ve been to loads of gigs , and busy pubs with live bands , even back in Dec when the  perceived threat level was high again  , no infections 

and then I caught it  a couple of weeks ago in either Tesco’s  or some other random shop where I didn’t go near another soul 

go figure …

On 10/04/2022 at 16:40, og1874 said:

For the best sound at any gig, stand in front of the audio engineer's booth

I know that. Sometimes it's still poor, it depends on the acoustics of the room. Wouldn't have worked in this case anyway - the mixing desk was on the stage, over at one side. Go figure. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I know that. Sometimes it's still poor, it depends on the acoustics of the room. Wouldn't have worked in this case anyway - the mixing desk was on the stage, over at one side. Go figure. 

That’ll be why it sounded crap then lol

Mclusky on Weds in Camden.  My wife hates Mclusky (which confuses me, as she loves so many of the bands that would cite Mclusky as a heavy influence, but then I gave up trying to understand my wife's taste in things when she agreed to marry me) and originally this was going to be me and a mate when the tickets were booked.  In the interim apocalypse, he has (very) recently welcomed his first sprog into the world, ergo my wife is now subbing to use the spare ticket (she at least likes John, who are one of the supports*).

This has now became my favourite example of the butterfly effect in action:

1 - my friend ejaculates.

2 - my wife has to go and see Mclusky.

Makes you think.

*last year when the gig was announced, the support was meant to be Jarcrew, who I'm now gutted have dropped out (not that I don't like John, but still).

Edited by GarethRDR

Â