The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Before Midnight - continuing my efforts to watch these films entirely out of order, after watching Before Sunset first, and with Before Sunrise still to go, enjoyed it as per usual. I love Linklater and Hawke/Delpy are great. Dialogue and performances are just so hypnotic.

Out of interest, why didn't you watch them in the correct order Rodders? Just wondering. Before Sunrise is such a great film, so too Before Sunset, but the latter's success in my opinion is really confined to the fact that it's a second part of the story. Before sunrise has such good dialogue, (a lot of it improvised so I believe) and fantastic acting by Hawke and Delpy. It's so natural, flows seamlessly and really struck a chord with me. LinkLater is a tremendous and completely original director.

Accident really. I came across Before Sunset, unaware it was a sequel. Not that it took too long to realise it. And then I put the other films on my lovefilm account, and I put too much faith in them to send the first film first. I couldn't be arsed to send Midnight back. Anyway, they all work  well as individual films but definitely improved no doubt by seeing all of them.   Looking forward to Before Sunrise.  I do like Linklater a lot. Really need to see Boyhood, though will have to wait for the dvd release of that one now, no cinema's showing it anymore

Sharknado 2 about to start.

Kelly Osbourne in a cameo already. High standards have been set.

imma live comment on this in what will probably be a very long and really edited post.

Pro-tip: always opt for chicken on a plane.

When people say there is nothing to worry about, there is always something to worry abouOMFLAN shark just flew into the engine.

HAHA OMG shark just flew down the aisle and decapitated Kelly Osbourne.

Tara Reid is hanging out of the plane and shooting at a shark that just bit her hand off and left her all luke skywalker but her acting is as convincing as the Villa defence over the 2012/2013 winter period.

Stereotypical White Nuclear Family introduced, they're flanned.

Well things just got meta - Tara Reid wrote a book called 'How to Survive a Sharknado'. I wonder if the tips will come in handy?

In the understatement of the century, a TV guy just called the weather 'unprecedented'.

Judd Hirsch is driving a taxi and, because he's a whacky New Yorker, he'll find a way to the Mets game even if the traffic is awful. There are cameos everywhere.

HOLY FLAN Billy Ray Cyrus is a doctor. He just said he'll be right back so he's gonna die.

the guy from A Serious Man (no, his brother) just whacked a shark with a baseball bat and it hit the score board.

WHAT

A CROCODILE JUST ATE A MAN IN A SEWER THEN A SHARK CAME IN A RUSH OF WATER AND BIT THE CROCODILE

Some interesting commentary about the lack of gun shops in NY. If only they had guns! Sharknado 2, brought to you by the NRA.

First glimpse of the titular Sharknado. OMG. A man dropped his briefcase and ran back for it but he got crushed by Lady Liberty's bonce.

TV man's top tip: Stay away from a Sharknado, it is dangerous. It is basically 'a twister with teeth'.

Advert breaks are now longer than film segments.

Hero just skipped across sharks like they were stepping stones and his brother says 'you just jumped the shark' lol :\

Basically at this point New York is flanned but the budget isn't big enough to show wide scale destruction so we're focusing a few dull characters and wee set pieces. Hero wants to throw a bomb at a tornado.

TWOTWISTERSGONNAMERGE

Bombs failed but resulted in flaming sharks!

KURT ANGLE IS A FIREMAN

Motivational Speech 101 ended with a slo-mo shot of a shark being split in half by a chainsaw. Crowd cheered and one woman said 'you're brilliant'. Oscar worthy stuff.

THREETWISTERSGONNAMERGE

Tara Reid just turned her missing hand into a hand-chainsaw thing not too disimilar to Ash in the Evil Dead. Her acting remains as suspect as Iceland frozen dinners.

Hero saved day by blowing up something in the Empire State Building. Science and lightning was involved. Sharks fall to earth and everyone has a field day with guns and shit. One shark falls into a news studio and the anchor stabs it in the face with her killer heels. HERO FLIES THROUGH A SHARK MID-AIR WITH A CHAINSAW WHAT

Somehow Tara Reid's hand is retrieved from the belly of a shark and Hero proposes again by pulling of the ring off her former finger.

Happy ending.

2/10

Did you recognise the pilot (Capt Wilson)?

I haven't had a chance to go to the cinema much this year. What are peoples top 5 films of 2014 so far? I need to catch up!

I've seen loads this year to the point I forget half of them , but ones I really enjoyed were :

Edge of tomorrow - cruises best film by miles

X- men days of future past - worth going to see just for the escape scene

Alan Partridge - silly fun

Wolf of Wall Street - Hollywoods least popular actor gets overlooked for an oscar again

American Hustle - Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence , it would be rude not to

Films to avoid :

Planet of the apes - great cgi , the rest of it was fairly dire

Her - possibly the only film in living memory I've not watched through to the end

300 - Eva Green in a scene that would make your grandmother blush can't redeem this film

I'm sure there are others but my brain is having the night off

Edited by tonyh29

Give over, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was absolutely brilliant, far better than X-men DoFP and I'm a comic book nerd.

brilliant how ?

the cgi work was amazing I'll give it that but the film itself was meh ...the script was piss poor and had more holes than a Clark / Baker / Bennet / Lowton back 4

x-men had more of a package going on , nice touches of humour etc ..hence why i enjoyed it more

I know there are a few Herzog fans on here, so just in case you haven't already done so I recommend watching the shiny new Hi-Def transfer of Nosferatu on Blu-ray. It makes an already stunning piece of film making even better.

nosferatublubfi.jpg

I know there are a few Herzog fans on here, so just in case you haven't already done so I recommend watching the shiny new Hi-Def transfer of Nosferatu on Blu-ray. It makes an already stunning piece of film making even better.

nosferatublubfi.jpg

Waynes world is better.

Went to see Boyhood last night, thought it was brilliant. However one thing I would say is I don't think it's much of a cinema film, might just be me but I think I would rather have watched it at home. And saying that I can't imagine watching any of the Before films at the cinema either.

• Like 1

For the first time in years, I sat through the three and bit hours of Ghandi last night.

Truth-bending and historical inaccuracies aside, it's the kind of film the word "epic" was made for. 

Edited by choffer

'Full Metal Yakuza' is now my favourite straight to video film.

I remember when I was first introduced to the delights of Takashi Miike all those years ago and my mate saying to me 'Watch this, it's like Robocop!' - Well, not quite but great all the same :)

• Like 1

Watched Stand By Me on the weekend.

Never seen it before, but it was rather good.

Actually, that's a lie. I'd clearly seen BITS of it before, because there were certain things that happened that I knew were going to happen

The leeches bit, Jack Bauer running that truck off the road when he's racing the other car, the fat kid finding a penny at the end

But I couldn't remember the story.

Anyway, yeah it's good. Never knew much about that River Phoenix bloke either. Shame.

Also watched Of Mice and Men. Really good (i've not read the book)

Malkovich is excellent

Â