The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

'Full Metal Yakuza' is now my favourite straight to video film.

I remember when I was first introduced to the delights of Takashi Miike all those years ago and my mate saying to me 'Watch this, it's like Robocop!' - Well, not quite but great all the same :)

Kensuke Hagane versus Alex Murphy would be a much better crossover than the likes of 'Alien versus Predator'.

• Like 1

Bernie - Linklater again, become instantly more interesting when I realised how much truth was involved, including hiring actual Carthage residents to discuss Bernie and the old bitch. From the quasi-documentary side of things it was fascinating to hear the "gossips" impressions and memories of a guy( not a spoiler really given it's on the promo for the film but still:

they refused to believe killed a fellow resident despite his public confession.

Jack Black was terrifically sad and slightly creepy as the eponymous lead, very different to his usual roles. But as I said, narratively, the hook that it's based on true events for me was critical for my engagement with the story. 7/10

• Like 3

Give over, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was absolutely brilliant, far better than X-men DoFP and I'm a comic book nerd.

brilliant how ?

the cgi work was amazing I'll give it that but the film itself was meh ...the script was piss poor and had more holes than a Clark / Baker / Bennet / Lowton back 4

x-men had more of a package going on , nice touches of humour etc ..hence why i enjoyed it more

I'm genuinely asking now, what were the plot holes in Dawn? I thought it was pretty tight story and script-wise.

As for X-Men DoFP, it's way too convoluted and they shoe-horn in a bunch of superheroes and don't do them justice. Quicksilver is an absolute joke, Bishop gets like two minutes of screen time considering his importance in the original story and the rest of the 'future' heroes aren't utilised in any particularly cool way either. Blink, Sunspot, Colossus, Warpath, completely underwhelming.

I realise that as a fan of the comics I can't help but critique the films particularly harshly, but I just thought it was a bit too silly. I haven't really thought about too many plot holes in that film but it's a time-travel movie so there's bound to be plenty. As for Dawn, I honestly can't think of any but I'd be interested to hear what you thought.

Also watched Of Mice and Men. Really good (i've not read the book)

Malkovich is excellent

Excellent movie indeed. The book is very good too.

Thanks for adding to the conversation CED.

I reckon CED was having a subtle jab at another poster...might be wrong though... ;)

That was my thought too.

As my brother text after seeing GOTG with me, "So when are we going to see the ULTIMATE MARVEL MOVIE again?" It's just a great great fun film.

I know so many people who've seen it multiple times already it's ridiculous. To the point I almost feel ashamed for seeing it just the once!

Blink, Sunspot, Colossus, Warpath, completely underwhelming.

I think Blink was good, but she was the only future mutant - outside of the obvious ones - that got to really do anything of any sort.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Watched Stand By Me on the weekend.

Never seen it before, but it was rather good.

Actually, that's a lie. I'd clearly seen BITS of it before, because there were certain things that happened that I knew were going to happen

The leeches bit, Jack Bauer running that truck off the road when he's racing the other car, the fat kid finding a penny at the end

But I couldn't remember the story.

Anyway, yeah it's good. Never knew much about that River Phoenix bloke either. Shame.

Also watched Of Mice and Men. Really good (i've not read the book)

Malkovich is excellent

Great choices :)

Watched GOTG today, absolutely loved it.

Also saw Inbetweeners 2, not a let down. Some good laughs, good for a sequel.

Give over, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was absolutely brilliant, far better than X-men DoFP and I'm a comic book nerd.

brilliant how ?

the cgi work was amazing I'll give it that but the film itself was meh ...the script was piss poor and had more holes than a Clark / Baker / Bennet / Lowton back 4

x-men had more of a package going on , nice touches of humour etc ..hence why i enjoyed it more

I'm genuinely asking now, what were the plot holes in Dawn? I thought it was pretty tight story and script-wise.

As for X-Men DoFP, it's way too convoluted and they shoe-horn in a bunch of superheroes and don't do them justice. Quicksilver is an absolute joke, Bishop gets like two minutes of screen time considering his importance in the original story and the rest of the 'future' heroes aren't utilised in any particularly cool way either. Blink, Sunspot, Colossus, Warpath, completely underwhelming.

I realise that as a fan of the comics I can't help but critique the films particularly harshly, but I just thought it was a bit too silly. I haven't really thought about too many plot holes in that film but it's a time-travel movie so there's bound to be plenty. As for Dawn, I honestly can't think of any but I'd be interested to hear what you thought.

yeah there's your problem fan boy :P

plot holes in Dawn  , well

there's only one power plant in SF would be a good start :)  not to mention that solar and wind power appear to have become obsolete

a jeep can still run after 10 years of no electricity to charge the battery etc ..

not only did the apes learn to fire machine guns in about 30 seconds ( lucky they have fingers the same sizes as humans hey :)  ... they also learnt to fire them surprisingly accurately and with unlimited ammo as well

an armoury outisde the city walls with no doors and two numpties for security 

an ape can kill another ape and nobody goes looking for the body not even the son

ok maybe I'm being  a little picky :)

i really liked both...

not even picking up on tonys points, carver was a shit drive the plot character, oldman is underused, too many throw away characters, the scar so the character is instantly recognisable was poor and the obvious plot was obvious

i liked quicksilver, his scene was good, agree about bishop's screen time but he was ok, blink was cool, sunspot wasnt needed, warpath was completely lost because he didnt have obvious powers, wolverine wasn't bad ass enough, but if you want to talk plot holes IMO it felt like singer decided that X3 didnt exist, my biggest problem with xmen is still that they cant do gambit, rogue or jubilee properly and that for a reason i really dont understand they leave nightcrawler out

xmen slightly pipped it for me, guardians is better than both, but then i think captain america is better than both too and i know tony didnt like it

Guardians of the galaxy:

Stunning. Not much needs to be said I imagine but it blew me away. The perfect mix of story, action, comedy and seriousness. It was pitch perfect. I genuinely cannot think of much they could have done to improve it (

flesh out the gamora/nebula back story a tiny bit?

).

The main villain was one of marvels better bad guys, the CGI was stunning and the comedy moments were genuinely funny. Groot is just amazing.

From start to finish it was a joy to watch, held my attention throughout and absolutely destroys any memories of Thor 2.

Not only THE best marvel film to date, it's one of my favourite films of all time. Truly a new star wars esque moment for kids and adults alike.

10/10

Just got in, was going to write a bit more but what you have said is exactly how I feel. 

• Like 1

yeah there's your problem fan boy :P

plot holes in Dawn  , well

there's only one power plant in SF would be a good start :)  not to mention that solar and wind power appear to have become obsolete

a jeep can still run after 10 years of no electricity to charge the battery etc ..

not only did the apes learn to fire machine guns in about 30 seconds ( lucky they have fingers the same sizes as humans hey :)  ... they also learnt to fire them surprisingly accurately and with unlimited ammo as well

an armoury outisde the city walls with no doors and two numpties for security 

an ape can kill another ape and nobody goes looking for the body not even the son

ok maybe I'm being  a little picky :)

Ha, I do appreciate being a nerdy fanboy is immediately going to lose me points, but I'm not one of the guys who demands everything be true to the source material. I love movies and recognise changes have to be made sometimes, I just don't think DoFP made any changes for the better.

As for your Dawn comments...

There's not necessarily only one power plant in San Francisco, but I think we're meant to think that the rioting over the last decade has left alternative forms of energy production broken and unusable. I think that's a bit of a harsh criticism and can't honestly be used as a stick to beat the movie with.

Cars have alternators. These nifty bits of kit continually charge the battery by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy while the engine is running, so as long as they continually drove the Jeep - I assume they siphoned petrol from abandoned and broken cars which is perfectly doable - then the battery would be fine, so that's a non-point for me.

The Apes are super-smart, that's the whole point of the film really. They have opposable thumbs and could learn how to fire guns. I wouldn't say they were particularly accurate though, with the exception of Koba but he is meant to be another exceptional chimp even among the smart chimps, almost equal to Caesar. I will give you the unlimited ammo though, I did actually notice that at the time. I just told myself that when they expended the ammo in one gun, rather than reloading which they couldn't do, they just picked up the rifle of a fallen ape, which Koba actually did at one point I think.

Much like the two idiots you mention, I can't really defend the Armory. I will concede to that. I think there were more than just the two guys stationed there, they were just testing in that area whereas the others were off doing other things or testing more weapons? I don't know. There were more men there though because they overrun them and take their weapon stockpile before they advance on the tower (the bit where the guards hide under the truck). You win that one though. I don't know the tactics of warfare and where the best place is to store your weapons, but I can imagine having them on the border that faces your enemy's location isn't a bad idea in theory as it's a first line of defence? I dunno, they were definitely weak and disorganised though.

The ape not killing another ape thing is reinforced very early in the film and a few times without, but it has no bearing on that part of the film as Koba framed humans for burning the ape village and shooting Caesar. Even though they're super-smart, they're also quick to anger and very fearful of humans and Koba takes advantage of the panic by immediately mobilising them to go to war. I think Koba specifically seeks out Blue Eyes (Caesar's son) to make sure he goes with him to fight the humans and not look for his father. Blue Eyes has a particular hatred for humans already so it's believable that his rage got the better of him and he immediately went to seek revenge.

You were being a bit picky, but you're not completely wrong ;)

• Like 1

i really liked both...

not even picking up on tonys points, carver was a shit drive the plot character, oldman is underused, too many throw away characters, the scar so the character is instantly recognisable was poor and the obvious plot was obvious

i liked quicksilver, his scene was good, agree about bishop's screen time but he was ok, blink was cool, sunspot wasnt needed, warpath was completely lost because he didnt have obvious powers, wolverine wasn't bad ass enough, but if you want to talk plot holes IMO it felt like singer decided that X3 didnt exist, my biggest problem with xmen is still that they cant do gambit, rogue or jubilee properly and that for a reason i really dont understand they leave nightcrawler out

xmen slightly pipped it for me, guardians is better than both, but then i think captain america is better than both too and i know tony didnt like it

To be fair i watched cpt America on a small screen on a plane ... I saw lots of Internet forums have it as one of the top 10 films of 2014 so I'm beginning to think I watched the wrong film :)

Â