The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Should I watch Avengers before going to see Guardians of the Galaxy? Or are they unrelated?

unrelated. Crack on :) They come from the same branch of comics ( Marvel ) but that's about it I think

• Like 1

Before Midnight - continuing my efforts to watch these films entirely out of order, after watching Before Sunset first, and with Before Sunrise still to go, enjoyed it as per usual. I love Linklater and Hawke/Delpy are great. Dialogue and performances are just so hypnotic. 

• Like 2

Should I watch Avengers before going to see Guardians of the Galaxy? Or are they unrelated?

Naaah won't matter if you haven't seen Avengers.

Oh and by the way, GOTG IS **** AWESOME. Best Marvel movie so far.

I.AM.GROOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!

This is marvel saying they can do whatever they want with characters you've never even heard of and still make a very good film and make a ton of cash, I've seen a fair few reviews that liken it to firefly / serenity

:takemymoneyfrypicture:

IMAX tomorrow, good summer, been a while since I've been this hyped about apes and guardians, apes as very good but I'm expecting guardians to be something special

This is marvel saying they can do whatever they want with characters you've never even heard of and still make a very good film and make a ton of cash, it loosely ties in somewhere (if you watched the Thor end credits) I've seen a fair few reviews that liken it to firefly / serenity

:takemymoneyfrypicture:

IMAX tomorrow, good summer, been a while since I've been this hyped about apes and guardians, apes as very good but I'm expecting guardians to be something special

My first foray into manga (always thought about watching Akira but have never got round to it) with Tekkonkinkreet.. What the hell.. Head is truly blown with that

Tekkonkinkreet is a good movie. You should definitely check out some Studio Ghibli. It's a bit more fantastical than Tekkonkinkreet but still good. If you want some good anime TV series to watch then find out the Anime & Manga Thread, there's some really great suggestions there.

Anyway, I just finished watching Super with Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page and Kevin Bacon. The only reason I watched it is because it was written and directed by James Gunn who has gotten lots of plaudits recently for co-writing and directing Guardians of the Galaxy.

I wish I hadn't now. It's a film in the same vein as Kick-Ass in that it's a more realistic take on people becoming costumed-vigilantes under the guise of becoming a real superhero. It's pretty awful, but I also really disliked Kick-Ass so I guess it's not that surprising. 

The thing I found both films have in common is that they really don't know what kind of film they want to be. Both start out as somewhat adult-comedy action flicks, but then turn pretty dark which to me just makes the film feel disjointed and I'm very aware of that while watching it. They do not flow well at all and I think Super is even worse than Kick-Ass was in regards to this, and that's saying something in my opinion. It definitely starts off being a comedy but then starts to get a little darker until the third act where it takes a really unexpected and very dark and serious turn. The ending is also pretty naff and makes the whole story feel a bit hollow and pointless, but I won't explain why in case people want to see it.

I think it's a bit early to be calling it a trend for more realistic "superhero" movies to jump between genres and be missing a well-paced story and thrilling climax since there aren't too many examples of these types of movies around, but it's certainly interesting to me that both Kick-Ass, its sequel and now Super seem to suffer from the same major identity crisis when it comes to defining what kind of films they are, what kind of story they're trying to tell and what themes they're trying to convey.

I wouldn't recommend watching either films to be honest. I don't know whether James Gunn has improved drastically in the last few years or whether it's the fact that he had another writer and source material to work from with Guardians of the Galaxy, but it definitely surprised me just how poor a job he did with Super.

Edited by Ginko

Had to press pause while watching Raid: Redemption cuz the relentless violent gore was getting to be a bit much. It's a well made movie, and I like good mindless action, but jeeezus. 

I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Not only is he a great actor but he comes across as a nice and pretty damn cool guy. His HitRECord website is really interesting and there's a bunch of cool stuff people have done to contribute to it.

Either way, even if you're not much of a fan of his, you have to agree he's better than the wooden, talentless sack of crap that is Clive Owen. Jesus that guy is a terrible actor, and his accent in Sin City is atrocious. 

• Like 2

I'm expecting guardians to be something special

It is!

How have you seen it?? Didnt think it was out in the UK yet or had been leaked??

Looks like tosh to me. Batista from the wwe as one of the main actors?! Its a kids film essentially I guess.. I expect it to be awful but ill watch it im sure at some point.

Prefer the dark, moody comic book films like blade and batman that are aimed at grown ups.

Guardians was superb. A little unnecessary comedy in parts, but still great overall.

Added enjoyment that Donnie will hate it, it will be successful and a second already announced.

Like all Marvel it's clearly a kids film though, because they're the ones that understand all the sexual reference jokes right?

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â