The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

watched a film called Blindness this morning (read the book the other day) it was ok

just finished watching Noah, terrible film, although it is nice to see that Ray Winstone is still the best person in the world at playing Ray Winstone

just put on Captain America The Winter Soldier, seen it at the cinema thought it was great

Well just got out of Guardians.... Bloody magic. Unlike any other Marvel film in its feel. Avengers is closest. Imagine Avengers with characters who you hardly know. Rocket Racoon owns this. Is it up there with Star Wars as people suggest? No. But maybe thats cos Im 42 now and Star Wars is unique as I saw that at 6 years old but can see how had I saw this at 6 it would be the same. Unkown characters that bring such appreal onscreen. Seriously, kids will love it. It's Marvel knocking it out the park beautifully. That Drax and Groot scene is just so much a wink that they're having fun. And thats this film. Bloody great fun. I sat with a smile on my face, nodding approvingly. This and Cap2 show Marvel really on another level to anyone out there atm except Pixar. Warners/DC take note.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

My first foray into manga (always thought about watching Akira but have never got round to it) with Tekkonkinkreet.. What the hell.. Head is truly blown with that

Film four? Get Paprika set to record in the same time slot tonight
Record set cheers

Blimey that is head trip.. Not sure my hungover mind can comprehend that

It's one of them where it tries to "real" trying to give reasoning behind the legend

I don't want that shit, give me 300 any day of the week over that, the mythology is far more interesting

it's been a while since I've disliked a film so much from pretty much the opening 5 minutes (in which it turns out 90% of the trailer was actually just a montage explaining back story) I think the prologue was just about finishing when I thought "this is shit"

it's utter rubbish

The Rock has failed to live up to the high standards he set in The Scorpion King.

Hercules is a great story gutted it went to "the rock"

tried explaining that to the missus after, this is like pearl harbor for me, after 2 shit films this year no one will touch hercules for a while now which is a great shame

• Like 1

Before Midnight - continuing my efforts to watch these films entirely out of order, after watching Before Sunset first, and with Before Sunrise still to go, enjoyed it as per usual. I love Linklater and Hawke/Delpy are great. Dialogue and performances are just so hypnotic.

Out of interest, why didn't you watch them in the correct order Rodders? Just wondering. Before Sunrise is such a great film, so too Before Sunset, but the latter's success in my opinion is really confined to the fact that it's a second part of the story. Before sunrise has such good dialogue, (a lot of it improvised so I believe) and fantastic acting by Hawke and Delpy. It's so natural, flows seamlessly and really struck a chord with me. LinkLater is a tremendous and completely original director.

Just watched Calvary. I enjoyed it. Brendan Gleeson always puts on a good performance. It was a good reflection of small town Ireland, especially the characters in it although on the Friday night when he was getting drunk there was only 5 of them in the pub which would obviously never happen in a pub in rural Ireland  :P    

8/10

Â