The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I don't appear to care much for Wes Anderson films. Does that make me weird?

Yes!* (*not really, his style definitely isn't for everyone)
Agreed. I love him yet love a few of his films, find the others average and don't like the rest. Edited by Ingram85

I love Wes Anderson! But yes his films are all of a similarish style so if you don't take to the style that's understandable. Although Moonrise Kingdom is really such a beautiful film I'd always encourage anyone to watch it regardless of their stance on Wes!

• Like 1

I found Moonrise to be a good if clichéd wes film

His best imo are Life Aquatic, Rushmore & Darjeeling, all three are superb.

Fantastic Mr Fox & Moonrise are OK.

I didn't like, click with or get into Royal Tenenbaums at all. Really didn't enjoy it.

Haven't seen Grand Budapest yet.

I'm with you Ginko on Mulholland Drive. Did not care for it at all. It was interesting for the first half, then it just went weird. But I don't really like Lynch in general.

Yeah, I'm not much of a Lynch fan either from what I've seen, which admittedly is Mulholland Drive, The Elephant Man (which I found interesting more down to the subject matter rather than the film itself) and his appearances as the bartender in the Cleveland Show... which always struck me as odd.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I'm with you Ginko on Mulholland Drive. Did not care for it at all. It was interesting for the first half, then it just went weird. But I don't really like Lynch in general.

Yeah, I'm not much of a Lynch fan either from what I've seen, which admittedly is Mulholland Drive, The Elephant Man (which I found interesting more down to the subject matter rather than the film itself) and his appearances as the bartender in the Cleveland Show... which always struck me as odd.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I think he's a bona fide genius to be honest.

Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Wild at Heart, Mullholland, Twin Peaks are all exceptional. And just to prove he has a soul, he goes and directs Straight Story which quite frankly is one of the sweetest things ever committed to film.

The only film of his I find totally impenetrable is Inland Empire - I tried to enjoy it but it was a chore.

• Like 1

I can understand why people like him, it's just not really my sort of thing. I don't know whether it's because I'm more of a mainstream cinema fan or perhaps it's because I've read quite a few screenwriting books and written a couple of things here and there and his style of writing just isn't my own, he's just not for me. I absolutely respect him as a filmmaker though and people do seem to love him, so from that I can only gather that he's just not my cup of tea.

I suppose I'm quite boring in that I like my stories to have a beginning, middle and end, character development and a relatively clear denouement. I totally get why people enjoy films where a lot of it is left up to interpretation, and I even wish I was that open-minded and creative to enjoy that sort of thing, but I just don't on the whole. It's probably some mild form of OCD or something. I always need to know the canon :P

• Like 1

Safety Not Guaranteed which fictionalises one of the oldest internet pranks going is...good.

The performances just didn't quite do it for me though the characters grew on me towards the end.

It's nagging me that it could have been a lot lot better with a better cast, and it was enjoyable anyway.

Worth a watch.

Would've been cool were there a dark twist knocking about towards the end. He is just a nutcase and ends up killing her.

Edited by Tomaszk

Saving Mr Banks .......I didn't hold out much hope for the film ...but wow I really liked it 8/10

its a great film, better than captain phillips IMO it didnt really get much fuss made over it, and most of the reviews i saw said farrell was awful in it, i thought the flashbacks were excellent

Saving Mr Banks .......I didn't hold out much hope for the film ...but wow I really liked it 8/10

its a great film, better than captain phillips IMO it didnt really get much fuss made over it, and most of the reviews i saw said farrell was awful in it, i thought the flashbacks were excellent

I thought Thompson and Hanks were excellent but blimey the emotional manipulation was way over the top. 

I think the fact that I knew beforehand that she never, ever learned to live with the film also soured it a little (she cried at the premiere because she hated what they had done to her story so much) But of course, that wouldn't have been such a great story would it?

Edited by Designer1

Â