The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

How amazing is Her?

Didn't expect much going into it( got a bit of a love hate relationship with Spike Jonze, absolutely loved Adaptation but hated Being John Malkovic and Where the wild things are) and expected it to be a bit of arty farty nonsense but it blew me away.

Incredibly touching throughout and heartbreaking towards the end.

Well played Spike Jonze you fully deserved the original screenplay Oscar.

• Like 4

Just watched Killer Joe . Still digesting it. Initial conclusions, I'm not eating chicken drumsticks again. Brutal, but MM is terrifyingly soulless. Good film, not sure I'd volunteer to watch it again anytime soon though.

I've watched this about 8 times. Absolutely adore it. Such a good film!

Just watched Killer Joe . Still digesting it. Initial conclusions, I'm not eating chicken drumsticks again. Brutal, but MM is terrifyingly soulless. Good film, not sure I'd volunteer to watch it again anytime soon though.

What did you think when

He poisoned her body with the fried flesh of a dead animal?

• Like 1

What did you think when

He poisoned her body with the fried flesh of a dead animal?

I thought he was incredibly unholy and he's not a good person like me ;)

• Like 1

Boy does Guardians of the Galaxy get better second time around. Really appreciated more Karen Gillan as Nebula and Dave Bautista's Drax. Also the end battle above Xandar was so much more enjoyable. It really is an effin great film.

• Like 4

Guardian's of the galaxy - 6 out of 10. Alot better then I expected. First 30 minutes was brilliant I have to say then it descended into any other generic blockbuster film and the last 40 minutes was a bit of a mess. The super fast action scenes where you have no idea whats going on are frustrating. Was still pleasantly surprised as I was entertained throughout, the main chracter was excellent and loved the soundtrack.

Joe - 7.5 out of 10 - has to be one of the top 10 movies of 2014. Nicholas cage was excellent as was the homeless guy. If you liked the film Mud, this is very similar and you will certainly like this.

Planet of the Apes - 7 out of 10 - Still prefer the old school original planet of the apes from before I was born. Enjoyed it as much as the first one and the third one should make up a decent trilogy of films.

I-Wish_DVD.jpg

Absolute gem of a movie. It's a family drama with amazing natural performances from the two (real life) brothers.

Directed by Hirokazu Koreeda who also made the superb Still Walking.

Needless to say - recommended  :thumb:

Just watched blue ruin. Completely not what I was expecting at all, in a good way. Well acted, clever story, I enjoyed how its a parody of the clichéd Hollywood revenge story but turned upside down and inside out.

I liked the ineptitude, naivety, desperation and stupidity of the protagonist yet he was still kind of brave, driven and determined. Think a dopey matthew Broderick meets John McClane.

Some shocking, almost Drive-esque violence and some great moments of tension and panic. Great to see Buzz too!

Highly recommended to those looking for something a bit different.

8.5/10

• Like 3

Boy does Guardians of the Galaxy get better second time around. Really appreciated more Karen Gillan as Nebula and Dave Bautista's Drax. Also the end battle above Xandar was so much more enjoyable. It really is an effin great film.

See, she was a negative for me in this film. Her accent kept dropping at certain points and she sounded ridiculous. I can only surmise they gave her voice the electronic treatment to try and mask it.

Loved the film though. Chris Pratt and Bradley Cooper stole the show for me.

How amazing is Her?

Completely agree, thought it was brilliant. You've reminded me I need to re-watch this. As much as I enjoyed it the first time round I think I spent too much of the first half of the film worrying about the potential for the second half to be disappointing, there seemed to be so many elements of that film that could've been dealt with badly, but it didn't disappoint.

Went to see Guardians of the Galaxy last night. I was pleasantly surprised, enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The soundtrack was pretty decent as well. However I thought a couple of the characters were a little weak.

Â