The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

double bill yesterday

The Third Man - 7/10 - really enjoyed it, soundtrack was a little bizarre, but good plot, not too long, some particularly well shot scenes in post-war Vienna looked really impressive. Not sure I understand why it's been thought of as such a amazing classic, but maybe that's just general hype doing it's usual OTT thing.

Apocalypse Now Redux - 8/10 loved it - haven't seen the original and I do want to I think because I reckon I was able to work out where the extra material came in, in this one, the scene with the french colonials dragged on far too long and disrupted the flow of the film a bit, and the scenes involving the playbunnies felt like an additional extra, but aside, I thought it was terrific, though I do want to read Heart of Darkness ( is there a film version of that too? ) which apparently this is based on.

Bit odd to claim Marlon Brando 'stars' in the film really, though. He's in about 5 scenes and is basically a bulky man being weird. I like Brando, but hmm.

Also, it was quite fun to see some of these lines that have been parodied or quoted in their original context too.

just back from Madagasgar 3 with 5 kids for my sons birthday

the first 15 mins were as funny and as good a cartoon i've ever seen ... it kinda settled down into a story with a lesson after that , still funny but a dip after the opening 15

still a cracking series though .. take your kids or failing that abduct someone elses kids and take them

Just watched The Hunger Games. Hadn't read the book. It was pretty good, I reckon.

I saw it on a plane and quite liked it (i've not read the books either ) , but as a plot goes it's one of the weakest ones out there

matey boy who plays Felix Lighter has signed up for the next film , i'll probably watch it on another flight some time but doubt i would go to the cineam to see it

Pretty sure it hasn't been released in the UK yet, but has anybody possibly in the States seen Argo yet? Cannot stand Ben Affleck and typically avoid his movies, but this one looks quite good.

Good director, not such a good actor. Argo looks interesting, but the trailer can't seem to make up it's mind what genre of movie it is. It veers from comedy to political drama in astoundingly abrupt steps.

Good director, not such a good actor. Argo looks interesting, but the trailer can't seem to make up it's mind what genre of movie it is. It veers from comedy to political drama in astoundingly abrupt steps.

Yeah I'd agree with that, his directing is certainly miles better than his acting, but hopefully I can get over that in this film. I can see what you mean about the trailers, but I'm assuming most of it is along the lines of thriller, with a few bits and bobs of wit/snarky lines thrown in here and there.

Bit harsh Steveo :huh:

I didn't cry at the beginning though no. I don't think I've ever cried at a cartoon other than Transformers when Optimum Prime died. :(

You are a stone man if you did not shed a tear when Mufasa died in the Lion King!

Got around to watching 500 days of summer last night as it was saved on Tivo.

Wasnt expecting a lot as im not really into saccharine filled rom coms, but i was pleasantly surprised. A more realistic guy meets gal film!

First Iron Man 3 trailer out this morning. Was quite surprised with the serious tone of it, not a single joke throughout the trailer. Like Shane Black as a director and you can't go wrong with Ben Kingsley, plus it's faking elements from a great storyline in the comics. Very much looking forward to it.

Its a pretty good trailer, doesn't really give much away and has a far more downbeat feel than any other Marvel film to date. Its allegedly inspired by the Extremis storyline but I'm really not sure how much of that I can see in the reveals so far. It does look like the early reveals of the Iron Patriot armour were a bit of red herring though, I'm increasingly thinking that's War Machine given a cheeky paint job. And I'm really unsure how much of the Mandarin they're going to translate to the screen, they seem to be going for a much different take (which probably isn't a bad idea).

EDIT - people are spotting little things in the trailer already - the Mandarin has a Captain America tattoo on the nape of his neck... Thats very weird for a little nod, it could well be more important. Especially since there was a rumour that Phase 2 of the MCU will see a lot more crossover between the individual movies.

Thor 2 got a synopsis put out the other day as well, which seems interesting, they're doing a story of Thor going to the other realms of Yggdrasil with Christopher Eccleston playing a familiar bad guy in Thor's canon. It should end up as a bit of an epic if they do it properly, as well as being completely daft. I'm quite looking forward to a more in depth look at world Thor exists in - in his comics he's done a lot of hopping around between the realms and encountering their various inhabitants.

Â