The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

you can't go wrong with Ben Kingsley.

Agree. Never seen him in a bad film, or doing a less than excellent job.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I present you with the following:

2004_thunderbirds_001.jpg

Ben Kingsley as The Hood in the Thunderbirds live action movie.

Watched The Lives of Others on a recommendation. It's pretty much the polar opposite of something like Avengers, but I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

A brilliant film indeed. Very well directed. The story was told perfectly and it's a scary insight into how that part of the world was run well into the 80s.

Having subscribed to the new site netflix for free I've had the opportunity to watch loads of old movies that I never saw.

Enemy of the state-7. I liked it. And a film with Gene Hackman is more often than not very good.

Crimson tide-8. Well, then you put Gene Hackman together with Denzel Washington and it gets even better. Both kind of playing their standard roles, I think.

The Pelican brief-7. Another Denzel and another good one.

The Good girl-3. I just watched it because it was Jennifer Aniston. Not because she's a good actor, but because with a few beers inside me and just too early to go to sleep she's quite pleasant to watch.

Archangel-6. Not a film but a TV series based on a book I read many years ago and liked but never knew they filmed. Just had to watch. Decent, but the book is better. Strange to see Craig in Russia not really good at defending himself.

And then I watched Avengers last Saturday. I liked it a lot. 7.5, I think. That's good action. A bit like Transformers without the bullshit "comedy" parts and not too much action like the end of the first Transformers. And better actors. Just better. But that one was on BD.

That was all for now, I think.

So tonight it's either Shame or The Woman in Black.

What does the panel suggest?

I enjoyed Woman in Black for it's old school ghost story approach and atmosphere (and as a Hammer fanatic, it was a decent outing for the studio).

But Shame is easily one of my favourite movies this year, pretty much a perfect film imo. Fassbender and Mulligan are just immense.

I can see that, but it is a problem inherent with most films dealing with a type of mental illness. Unless you are in that mindset it is hard to identify and therefore empathise. Films get around this by having supporting characters that you can empathise with, as you are seeing the illness from their point of view. Shame didn't really have this either, unless Mulligan's character is meant to be that point of view, although she does have issues of her own but ones which a greater number of people can identify with than, say, sex addiction.

The aim might have been a sterile, emotionless environment due to the subject matter. This distanced the characters and I'm having trouble recalling a lot of the film as a result, good though it was. I was more interested in their back story which was only briefly hinted at (unless I missed it).

I just watched it because it was Jennifer Aniston. Not because she's a good actor, but because with a few beers inside me and just too early to go to sleep she's quite pleasant to watch.

have you seen horrible bosses? pleasant to watch is an understatement and a half

and i liked shame but the gf thought it was really boring, but we both thought the woman in black was a bit shit

Â