The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Feel like I need cheering up so my viewing this evening:

Weekend-at-Bernies-1989-%E2%80%93-Hollywood-Movie-Watch-Online.jpg

220px-Porkys.jpg

I just watched Dr Strangelove (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb) again, Absolutely bloody amazing film, I forget how good it is and fall in love with it every time I see it.

Brilliant film!

• Like 1

I saw Looper tonight. It was absolutely brilliant, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was as fantastic as ever, as was old Brucie and the story was really tight which must have been an absolute ballache considering it's all about timetravel and changing the future. Really, really good movie. Go see it. It's not one of these films that is a headache to follow either. It's very well written, well filmed and well acted.

Watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for the first time in a number of years last night, I completely forgot how fantastic it was! A modern day Film Noir, with some great comedic elements involved, brilliant fun.

Maqroll - The director of Elite Squad 2 Jose Padhila is currently filming the remake of Robocop with an outstanding cast, hopefully it'll turn out the same calibre of film, but when you've got the luxury of a great story like Robocop, you can't really go wrong. Knowing the franchise though it'll probably fumble and be a major disappointment. I hope not!

If it's anywhere near as good as Elite Squad, I'm buying a ticket!

Skyfall seems to be getting good reviews.

Although Heineken does make an appearance, according to one.

i read heineken had paid $45m so that he drinks their beer rather than a martini! sounds too much to be true

11 reviews in at RT all positive, not including total film who gave it 5/5

just watched ill manors, not a bad watch to be honest, if you like your gritty english depressing ghetto films like kidulthood, adulthood and harry brown then you wont go far wrong with this

Not much to say on it really, it is what it is

oh yeah is 'the road' any good?

I have had it for a few weeks but haven't put it on yet, Ive heard its pretty depressing so I'm waiting till I'm in the right sort of mood to watch it

The Road is alright. It's a fairly awkward film as theres not a plot or narrative in the usual sense, which I understand is fairly accurate to the book (never read it, can't stand the way Cormac McCarthy writes). What you get is 2 hours of the experience of a man and his son in the desolution of an unexplained global disaster, as they simply endeavour to survive, intercut with a small amount of flashback to the time of the disaster and the birth of the boy. It can be depressing, and is also intensely bleak and oppressive. Sadly, it's also often boring, imo

You definitely want to be in the right frame of mind to watch it, you wouldn't watch it on a whim I don't think.

I thought The Road was a superb movie, wonderful performances all round and it caught the mood of the book (which I initially thought would be unfilmable) quite brilliantly.

Slight disclaimer is that I am admittedly a massive fan of both Hillcoat and McCarthy.

I saw Sinister earlier.

I was impressed. There of plenty of good jumpy moments, that even though you know they're coming, still seem to have a big impact. I am thinking of the scene involving a common garden tool...

It does a good job of keepong the tension going, helped by Hawk's performance and a fantasticly unsettling score.

Watched the first 2 LOTR films today. I **** hate Elijah Wood. He reminds me of Green Street and it makes me sick to my stomach when I think of that film. (Mark Wahlberg has a similar effect on me)

Apart from that, they're pretty good :) (though I found myself fastforwarding some of the more risible bits of dialogue).

Started watching The Hurt Locker too late last night so I still have an hour to go. Enjoying it so far though. Very well filmed. The 6 Academy Awards (incl. Best Film) would probably point at that. I avoided it for so long because I foolishly mixed it up with Jarhead and I'm not a big Gyllenhaal(sp?) fan, or war fan ...

I found Looper to be quite dull and very predictable.

Good acting and well shot mind you .

It's quite amazing how any people don't like this movie. I don't know anyone who has seen it that likes it. Such a contrast to the movie critics. I think it's clear that they're being pushed to review movies in relation to what masses will enjoy and away from what is actually any good.

Looper was terrible.

I liked The Road when I saw it, worth watching, although it is grim.

Saw Prometheus tonight for the first time since seeing it at the cinema and actually I think it improved on 2nd viewing, I think I may have been hyper-critical at the time. Still assume that a few missing scenes were unwisely edited out of the final film, but it was good fun.

Up next: got Apocalypse Now Redux ( whatever that last word means ). Never seen it before, but always wanted to for a while, so looking forward to it, at 3hours long, looks like it's a bit of an epic.

It's quite amazing how any people don't like this movie. I don't know anyone who has seen it that likes it. Such a contrast to the movie critics. I think it's clear that they're being pushed to review movies in relation to what masses will enjoy and away from what is actually any good.

Looper was terrible.

Really? Was thinking of going to watch it this week, might reconsider now.

The trailer looks sick though, you're sure it's bad?

Â