The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Really? Was thinking of going to watch it this week, might reconsider now.

The trailer looks sick though, you're sure it's bad?

No not really.

The vast majority of people liked Looper.

Not sure where Conor is getting his info from.

And on Looper, most people I've talked to liked it.

It's a grand film. Derivative? Of course, but great fun all the same. People use 'derivative' as a stick to beat films/books/music with as if there were points in modern culture when people sprang forth with truly original ideas. That is bullshit. There is a difference between blatantly ripping off other films, and taking something from them to create something of your own. At times Looper does fall into the former category but I found enough in the film to enjoy. The main issue I've come across is that it is sold as an action film when it really is nothing of the sort.

I liked it too.

I didn't like it as much as other people did. i thought it was a good film, but fell short of being very good.

Regardless, I certainly wouldn't say that most people didn't like it. Quite the opposite.

One beat

two beat

three beat

sugar beat

four beat

five beat

six beat

wheat-a-beat

seven beat

eight beat

nine beat

heartbeat

MY heartbeat

My heart beating for you.

I watched A Room for Romeo Brass

• Like 1

Well I can only give my own opinion of the movie. But I have talked to 4 friends who have seen it and none thought it was good.

The reason is it's very predictable, and this is due to the whole film being a rehash mainly of Terminator and 12 Monkeys. I also thought the film was a mess too, bad comedy thrown in really resulted in that. It also had odd pacing.

Lots of things wrong with it. It thought it was bad for many reasons.

There is a difference between lending from movies that have come before and making something good. Inception is The Matrix meets the more thought provoking themes in Solaris. The result is a great flick.

Looper fails to even get close to this. It's not merging two different styles in an attempt to make something a bit unique. It's just ripping off two of the most famous time travelling movies to make another time travelling movie.

It's also poorly done. Such an odd pace and miss mash of things, trying to be serious and also comedy. It adds to the mess.

• Like 1

I trust some of my friends w.r.t. films and I don't trust others. One of the ones I trust has highly recommended Looper. That's good enough for me.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying you were wrong not to like it. Quite the opposite.

Just saying that claiming most people don't like it its just not true.

I was claiming my friends. None of them have liked it and of the 2 people who had posted in this thread that I read one was positive one was negative.

So I said most. I can only guage opinion I know of.

Also I know about 95% of people require less than I do from a film to enjoy it. I analyse movies totally during a viewing. I am not a switch off person. As such my opinions will be different to the majority of opinion.

Each to their own. What I used to find good was I had 2 reviewers who's opinions were close to mine, but in the past 2 years they have moved towards overrating many main stream movies, I assume due to a requirement to tailor their opinions to the masses. It's understandable.

I trust some of my friends w.r.t. films and I don't trust others. One of the ones I trust has highly recommended Looper. That's good enough for me.

Exactly, that's the way to go really. One friend had seen Looper and not liked it before I went with a friend and neither of us liked it. I've 3 mates who I'd share similar views on movies with. Looper was further proof we have similar tastes.

Trust your friends opinions.

Fair enough, but even the opinions in here are vastly in favour of Looper.

Oh and by the way, this

Also I know about 95% of people require less than I do from a film to enjoy it. I analyse movies totally during a viewing.

Makes you sound like a liiiiitle bit of a dick ;)

• Like 1

I defer to your opinion, evidently your analytical skills put us 95% to shame.

:mellow:

This is the film thread. Not a good representation of the total film goers my % was referring to. Many/most in here are in the 5% obviously.

One beat

two beat

three beat

sugar beat

four beat

five beat

six beat

wheat-a-beat

seven beat

eight beat

nine beat

heartbeat

MY heartbeat

My heart beating for you.

I watched A Room for Romeo Brass

"I'm getting that feeling already of people with their hands on her. Makes me quite angry, I think I've been overcome with love."

Started watching The Hurt Locker too late last night so I still have an hour to go. Enjoying it so far though. Very well filmed. The 6 Academy Awards (incl. Best Film) would probably point at that. I avoided it for so long because I foolishly mixed it up with Jarhead and I'm not a big Gyllenhaal(sp?) fan, or war fan ...

Lowest grossing Oscar best film winner I believe

I think it won because it wasn't Avatar as much as anything , decent film but isaw better ones that year

I like about 10 minutes of Hurt Locker, the whole scene with Ralph Fiennes. The rest of it I cannot stand, simply because it's the only film I can recall that doesn't feature a single major character I like. Doesn't help that I don't especially like Frogman Renner either in fairness, but theres not a single main character in that film that is in anyway likable. Not even in a 'love to hate' kind of way. Everyone of them is a clearing in the woods.

Â