The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The synopsis actually sounds better than that looks

And it looks good...

Mrs H got me the book for Christmas and I've not had time to read it ..guess I don't have to now :) 

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

“Air” with Matt Damon, story about Nike signing Michael Jordan. Was really good, worth a watch.

Watched this last night and totally agree.

Great ensemble cast and a really well put together movie. 

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

image.jpeg.db1cc12fff9420064c9ebca12632ba3b.jpeg

Wow, what a gem of a film, a little bit of Eastwood style 'man with no name' Western, a little bit of Rambo 'going to need some more body bags and do my own stitches'  and a fair sprinkling of Tarantino type storytelling. 

Great way to kill (Nazis) for an hour and a half 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

image.jpeg.db1cc12fff9420064c9ebca12632ba3b.jpeg

Wow, what a gem of a film, a little bit of Eastwood style 'man with no name' Western, a little bit of Rambo 'going to need some more body bags and do my own stitches'  and a fair sprinkling of Tarantino type storytelling. 

Great way to kill (Nazis) for an hour and a half 

Just about to post the same thing. Cracking film!

• Like 1

Watched William Friedkin's Sorcerer earlier (Blu-Ray) What a great film.  Roy Scheider was criminally underrated wasn't he?

• Like 3

I watched “Old” the other day. Shyamalan film, for those who don’t know. Group of people visit a luxury resort, are specially invited to a private beach. Once there they find that they physically can’t leave and that the location ages them (a couple of years every hour).

It’s Shyamalan, so you know that the dialogue is unlike anything any actual human has said. And I think because of that the performances can be a bit stilted. But I love these high concept films with a small cast that are trapped. Really ticks a number of boxes for me even if it doesn’t quite work.

After reading about it, apparently it’s influenced by an early 60’s Spanish film “The Exterminating Angel”, which I subsequently watched as a comparison.

Again, a group of 20 people attend a fancy dinner party, but are physically unable to leave the room by an unseen force. It’s definitely not for everyone, and it isn’t something that has any obvious answers or interpretations. It’s the sixties and it’s foreign, so it unsurprisingly feels a bit out there and impenetrable. Ebert included it in his great movies selection and thinks it’s about Franco. Worth a watch if you want to feel a bit nonplussed. 

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I watched “Old” the other day. Shyamalan film, for those who don’t know. Group of people visit a luxury resort, are specially invited to a private beach. Once there they find that they physically can’t leave and that the location ages them (a couple of years every hour).

It’s Shyamalan, so you know that the dialogue is unlike anything any actual human has said. And I think because of that the performances can be a bit stilted. But I love these high concept films with a small cast that are trapped. Really ticks a number of boxes for me even if it doesn’t quite work.

After reading about it, apparently it’s influenced by an early 60’s Spanish film “The Exterminating Angel”, which I subsequently watched as a comparison.

Again, a group of 20 people attend a fancy dinner party, but are physically unable to leave the room by an unseen force. It’s definitely not for everyone, and it isn’t something that has any obvious answers or interpretations. It’s the sixties and it’s foreign, so it unsurprisingly feels a bit out there and impenetrable. Ebert included it in his great movies selection and thinks it’s about Franco. Worth a watch if you want to feel a bit nonplussed. 

One of the most unintentionally hilarious movies I've ever seen.

(And I like a lot of his stuff)

• Like 1

Watched Air the film about how Nike signed Michael Jordan

Its good, it's got a couple of cheesy big speech moments but the story is interesting, it's not as good as the like of the big short but it's on par with like the founder, similar kind of vein where its just a nice relaxed story, maybe a bit heavy on the soundtrack and doesn't tell you much about any of the characters outside of their day job (would people care?)

• Like 1

Im suprised- they ahve annouced a john wick 5

Spoiler

You would think the death and being set free at the end of 4 would be a good place to end it

Guess they will just keep it going until the high table has fallen

Â