The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 31/05/2023 at 02:56, sne said:

Watched it today and IMHO its pathetic.Great if you like dark rooms ( even at 3pm ) and slamming doors,if these things dont interest you then dont bother going.

• Sad 1

@sne re- The Boogeyman.

Spoiler

All you see is shadows and slamming doors.The Boogeyman appears 10 minutes before the end of the film.Not only that,there is this 10yo girl and all through the movie she is scared of the Boogeyman.Then near the end,the Boogeyman is sitting on her with tendrills comming from his mouth and nose and eyes into her mouth,eyes,nose.And after shitting herself all through the movie she actually helps to kill him in the end.Not bad for a 10 yo girl who keeps looking for monsters under her bed all through the movie,then has the courage to put him away.

On 26/05/2023 at 19:51, theunderstudy said:

Watched William Friedkin's Sorcerer earlier (Blu-Ray) What a great film.  Roy Scheider was criminally underrated wasn't he?

A god-damned masterpiece.  The cinematography throughout is stunning but the denouement, when Scanlon's carrying the nitroglycerin to the oil field, out of this world.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Yeah, absolutely stunning.

If you enjoyed the first one (as most did) then you won't be disappointed. 

Great story, good characters and technically astonishing.

• Like 2

Took the kids to see across the spider-verse today.

As the poster above states, excellent film. Gives lots of service to the fanboys like me, whilst still being an outstanding film for the casual fan.

The animation was truly incredible. I've never seen a film like it. They took what they did in the first and absolutely took it to the next level and then some.

There's a lot of heart in there too, and without posting spoilers, it leaves you wanting much, much, more.

• Like 1

Quick counterpoint to the Spider-verse stuff. 

Took my wife and two kids to see it yesterday. My kids (6 and 8y/o) were obsessed with the first one. For my part the first spider-verse film was probably my favourite ever Spidey film.

Two of us, myself and my youngest loved the new one. I thought it was endlessly inventive, clever, and absolutely gorgeous to watch. 

My wife and my eldest strongly disliked it. Reasons given included: too long, too complicated to follow (as told by my kid, not my wife, haha), and that the plot seemed a bit muddled and bloated in the middle. 

I disagree with most of those points, although I think it could be tighter, but my eldest was visibly very bored toward the end. 

I appreciate our experiences seem to be in a minority (which is good because I'm very much looking forward to the last part). 

Spoiler

It probably didn't help that we didn't know going in that it was a two-parter. I think my wife in particular was expecting some resolution. 

Edited by HKP90

spacer.png

Hmmmm.

Interesting, but only in fits and starts.

Incredibly self indulgent, baggy and overlong.

Clever, but not as clever as Ari Aster thinks it is.

That tricky second album becomes that tricky third movie.

Maybe a rewatch at some point will help, and I always applaud originality in film, but for me it was a wearisome drag.

Sorry Ari.

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Four years after its release, I finally got round to watching 'Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood'. Remarkably, I'd seen no spoilers in that time, so the ending was a surprise. 

Brilliant film, instantly my favourite Tarantino. 

I didn’t even watch it to the end. Mind you, I doubt I’m much of a judge of what’s good or not in films.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Four years after its release, I finally got round to watching 'Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood'. Remarkably, I'd seen no spoilers in that time, so the ending was a surprise. 

It's a brilliant. Really brilliant. Literally a love letter to Hollywoods golden era, which also providing a response to it's ending from someone who clearly loves it, in the form of a very adult fable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Absolutely brilliant, seen it 3 or 4 times. DiCaprio and Pitt, great dynamic. The final scene, oh suit you sir.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

DiCaprio and Pitt, great dynamic. 

Very reminiscent of the Newman & Redford partnership, I thought. 

I seem to recall Margot Robbie looked stunning , Brad Pitt was as cool as ever and the rest of it was just  nothing happening … followed by a bonkers ending 

The retro stuff was kinda cool but once was enough for me … 

• Like 2

Embarrassingly I didn't understand it

My knowledge of the real world events it referenced didn't kick in until the very very end

Still enjoyed it though

Agree about Pitt and di caprio, I'd happily watch either of them do just about any film, big fan of Pitt think he's almost underrated as a proper actor but he's a very good one

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I seem to recall Margot Robbie looked stunning , Brad Pitt was as cool as ever and the rest of it was just  nothing happening … followed by a bonkers ending 

The retro stuff was kinda cool but once was enough for me … 

For me, once is enough for almost any film, no matter how much I like it. Don't really 'get' re-watching movies. 

With OUATIH, I guess it helps if you're a nerd about 1960s American pop culture. Which I am. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

For me, once is enough for almost any film, no matter how much I like it. Don't really 'get' re-watching movies. 

If its late night and I'm too lazy to walk up the stairs to go to bed I'll sit there and channel hop and invariably  find a film that I've seen before and watch it , even though I've already missed the first 20 mins in some cases !! 

something like Kelly's Heroes or Shawshank  I've lost count of the number of times seen

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

With OUATIH, I guess it helps if you're a nerd about 1960s American pop culture. Which I am. 

yeah i guess that would be a factor ,  I kinda have a fascination around the whole JFK and the conspiracy side

Spoiler

Oswald did it

but beyond that I guess I'm just a little too young for that  Iconic Americana time 

Â