The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just watched 65 which should have been called Jurassic Yawn. A good idea poorly executed imo 5.5/10

Also watched the new Shazam which was okay I guess. I didn't rate the 1st one much and this is about on par with it 6/10

On 08/04/2023 at 11:11, Mark Albrighton said:

Those who may be required to take the little ones to see the Mario film, it’s ok. About what you’d expect, at least I followed what was going on which is more than can be said about when I was sat watching “The Boss Baby : Family Business” in utter bewilderment.

But in fairness there’s a few references to the games that the film can lean on to give me a cheap little moment of nostalgia to make up for any shortcomings.

Jack Black’s song as Bowser is probably the highlight.

My grandson’s review went along the lines of me asking him if he enjoyed it, he said yes, then he hated it. I said what he said no he meant he hated it. OK. Why? He hated Bowsers voice. OK. That’s Jack Black, who? Po out of kung fu panda, nothing. Po!!! No, nothing. The singer in Tenacious D. Oh yeah, well I didn’t like his voice. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

tetris-movie-button-1677782204289.jpg

Fun movie, entertaining enough. A bit on the nose with some things, like the Maxwell stuff. 

Worth a watch

Have you watched Air yet?

I like those kind of films, the keaton McDonald's one being another, but they're always kind of 7/10 at best 

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Have you watched Air yet?

I like those kind of films, the keaton McDonald's one being another, but they're always kind of 7/10 at best 

No haven’t seen Air yet. 

I didn’t like the McDonald’s one. Decent film but incredibly depressing

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Operation Fortune on Netflix. 

Not Ritchie's best work but  certainly not bad either. 

You mean prime?😉

I'm with you though whilst not really sophisticated, it's a by the numbers action/comedy and I had great fun watching it.

I want Hugh Grant to do these types of roles more often.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeadlyDirk said:

You mean prime?😉

I do, yes. 

Switching around from Prime to Netflix to Disney just gets me confused. 

On 26/03/2023 at 16:36, Designer1 said:

Just back from...

spacer.png

Yeah, in a nutshelnuif you like the film series you won't be disappointed.

its all utterly ridiculous, but technically masterful and brilliantly entertaining. 

I thought it was fantastic.

Just watched it

Spoiler

Its utterly ridiculous how unrealistic  the film is and how he is able to survive this movie as long as he did. I must have counted about 7 times he would have broken his back alone let alone the amount of gun shots he missed 

Great film though in terms of entertainment. Loved the japan fight scenes 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone seen super mario bros yet? Im embarrassed to say i really want to watch it

My review and @Seat68’s grandson’s follow up review.

I would imagine the latter thoughts by Seat68’s grandson carries more substance than mine.

On 08/04/2023 at 11:11, Mark Albrighton said:

Those who may be required to take the little ones to see the Mario film, it’s ok. About what you’d expect, at least I followed what was going on which is more than can be said about when I was sat watching “The Boss Baby : Family Business” in utter bewilderment.

But in fairness there’s a few references to the games that the film can lean on to give me a cheap little moment of nostalgia to make up for any shortcomings.

Jack Black’s song as Bowser is probably the highlight.

On 09/04/2023 at 16:05, Seat68 said:

My grandson’s review went along the lines of me asking him if he enjoyed it, he said yes, then he hated it. I said what he said no he meant he hated it. OK. Why? He hated Bowsers voice. OK. That’s Jack Black, who? Po out of kung fu panda, nothing. Po!!! No, nothing. The singer in Tenacious D. Oh yeah, well I didn’t like his voice. 

• Thanks 1

Sadly no cinema screenings of this one locally for me, but I yarred my way to watching Infinity Pool yesterday.  Not quite as compelling as Cronenberg Jr.'s previous offering for me, and predominantly carried by Mia Goth's performance.  This is not a criticism I find myself levelling too often, but the orgy scene did drag on a bit too much.

On 09/04/2023 at 23:47, rjw63 said:

Operation Fortune on Netflix. 

Not Ritchie's best work but  certainly not bad either. 

We thought it was drivel and switched off after an hour. Was hoping it would be like The Gentleman.

• Like 1

Maybe one for the things that p*** you off thread, but can anyone explain why they are doing a live action version of Moana, (which they will undoubtedly have to do a massive amount of CG for), WITH THE ORIGINAL CAST? I think Disney have gone off the deep end. 

The original was great, and only released 7 years ago. As much as everyone loves Dwayne, it's not gonna be much of a reimagining if it has the exact same actors.

Why not tell a different story with the same characters?

Hard not to see it as cynical really.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Maybe one for the things that p*** you off thread, but can anyone explain why they are doing a live action version of Moana, (which they will undoubtedly have to do a massive amount of CG for), WITH THE ORIGINAL CAST? I think Disney have gone off the deep end. 

The original was great, and only released 7 years ago. As much as everyone loves Dwayne, it's not gonna be much of a reimagining if it has the exact same actors.

Why not tell a different story with the same characters?

Hard not to see it as cynical really.

A completely creatively bankrupt corporation which is in bad financial state and losing hundreds of millions per release. It's what the company deserves having been taken over by political activists more concerned with pushing their political ideology and messages than creating and telling good stories. 

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

A completely creatively bankrupt corporation which is in bad financial state and losing hundreds of millions per release. It's what the company deserves having been taken over by political activists more concerned with pushing their political ideology and messages than creating and telling good stories. 

I just think they are so big now that they play too safe. Their renaissance happened when the got Lasseter in, and whatever you think of him, he took risks on a story. He went in 2018, and things have kind of dropped off a cliff.

Â