The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

16 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Saw Wrath of Man last night, new Guy Ritchie film with Statham. Very good watch

One of Statham’s better roles for years. The fella out of that FBI serial killer profiling program was good as well

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Milfner said:

It was just fine overall tbh. 

Yeah, I'd echo what v4e said. It just sorta missed the mark. Spent two hours telling the same story three times. The payoff was probably in the courtroom stuff but they spent about 1% of the film on that. The story is certainly interesting, but yeah. Maybe a three / four part TV series would've suited it better.

I agree with this summary to be honest. I didn't hate it, and I think the concept is really good. Said at the time it's very similar to the TV series "The Affair" where they tell the same story different ways.

The problem with The Duel is I think each version is too long. By the third one most of it is stuff you've seen before. Yeah there are differences, obviously, but it's still the same story you've already seen twice. They maybe should have intertwined it a bit better to keep it more interesting.

As others have said the real story is how women were treated and thought of.

The most striking part was when Adam Driver's character says something like

Spoiler

"Yes she offered the customary protestations" as a defence to raping her

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

One to see at the cinema but the Matrix Resurrections is floating around in the sea for those that cant go. Copies are perfect.

Its got a HBO release at the same time as the cinema I think

I'll probably do it tomorrow night 

Watched Ron Gone Wrong and Wall-e last couple of days 

RGW is a poor mans big hero 6 but its still just about OK, a 6/10 time killer

Wall-e gets better everytime I see it, didn't appreciate it at first because I thought it was a weaker entry for pixar and there's the lack of talking but the magic of the film is that it doesn't need the talking and the human stuff towards the end is getting more on point by the year 

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

Matrix reviews are all over the shop. Appears to be a bit of glorious car crash that gets worse the long it goes on.

Sadly it is complete drivel, does not work on numerous levels (waking up at 3am in the living room cold with a dry throat and thick head review)

Edited by Follyfoot

Just watched the new Matrix.

It's reboot and a nostalgia fest. Could have been written by a fan-boy.

It was never going to be as revolutionary as the Matrix, but there are many other stories that could have been told in that world IMO. It's enjoyable enough if you liked the original, but don't expect to have your mind blown at all.

Originally the Matrix was a serious story telling vehicle and what I didn't expect was it often bordering on  parody/pastiche of itself in the same ways that Bond's do - a nod and a wink to the camera. Kinda lame.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chindie said:

Matrix reviews are all over the shop. Appears to be a bit of glorious car crash that gets worse the long it goes on.

Watched it last night. The casting is very poor for nearly all of the main characters bar the originals. 
The action scences and fight choreography is not a patch on the original films which is such a let down.

• Sad 1

Just back in from The Matrix.  I liked some of it, some of if it didn't work, but far and away the worst thing is that **** GOD AWFUL massacre of "Wake Up" over the end credits.  Truly, truly horrific.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Just back in from The Matrix.  I liked some of it, some of if it didn't work, but far and away the worst thing is that **** GOD AWFUL massacre of "Wake Up" over the end credits.  Truly, truly horrific.

Brass Against? Lol

Got roped into my girlfriend’s Christmas tradition of watching Die Hard with her friends last night and honestly I don’t get the fuss at all. It seemed like your pretty run of the mill action flick for me, a solid 6/10 but I was expecting a lot more, also do things just need to be set at Christmas to be a Christmas movie now? I couldn’t see any other thematic connection in there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eidolon said:

Got roped into my girlfriend’s Christmas tradition of watching Die Hard with her friends last night and honestly I don’t get the fuss at all. It seemed like your pretty run of the mill action flick for me, a solid 6/10 but I was expecting a lot more, also do things just need to be set at Christmas to be a Christmas movie now? I couldn’t see any other thematic connection in there.

I put it on the other night but it seemed so dated I ended up browsing on here and then fell into a Youtube hole.

6 hours ago, Eidolon said:

What makes a movie a Christmas movie? 

Edited by Rds1983

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

What makes a movie a Christmas movie? 

It has to mention or show something Christmas related. Ergo, Die Hard is a Christmas movie. Any other definition is incorrect. 

• Like 1

Â