The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Are they trying to maybe get away from the 'standard Oscar fare' type model for nominating best film?  They've been criticised for not recognising the merits of films done well in other genres in the past.

Black Panther's nomination is obviously a hold over from the (deeply unpopular) plan to add in a Best Popular Film category. It shouldn't be in a Best Picture category. It's not even the best Marvel film released last year, yet alone one of the best of the year full stop. It's clearly an important film, and that is what has got it in contention at all, but it still shouldn't be there. Obviously it isn't going to win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

**** the Oscars.

Pretty much agree with this. I do find them weirdly curious, particularly in a retrospective way, seeing what films were considered among the best at the time, at least by Hollywood.

For example the 1980 winner - Ordinary People directed by Robert Redford. I’d literally never heard of that film before I looked it up, it hasn’t had any lasting legacy as far as I can tell, yet at the time they decided it was better than Raging Bull and the elephant man (or indeed any other notable films that I’m sure were ignored).

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Speaking of 2001* Don't get me started on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  Not a single tiger or dragon.  Then I remembered they were crouching and hidden.

*not my joke.

Reminds me of -

Beautiful Boy was a good film and probably deserved some nominations. but **** me I will never re-watch it was so miserable just like Manchester by The Sea. Good films but not a re-watcher 

When did the Oscars stop being about the best films, actors and directors and became a popularity contest?

I used to avidly watch the Oscars when I was more into my films (late 90's) and it was always a benchmark of a great film or performance.

Just now, Xela said:

When did the Oscars stop being about the best films, actors and directors and became a popularity contest?

I used to avidly watch the Oscars when I was more into my films (late 90's) and it was always a benchmark of a great film or performance.

Cue angry posts about “Shakespeare in Love”....

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Cue angry posts about “Shakespeare in Love”....

I really enjoyed it! Wouldn't have picked it over Saving Private Ryan mind you. That is a fantastic film. 

Just now, Xela said:

I really enjoyed it! Wouldn't have picked it over Saving Private Ryan mind you. That is a fantastic film. 

Oh I don’t mind Shakespeare in Love at all. It’s the sort of film that normally does well at the these awards - historical drama (sort of), Judi Dench is in it, so it wasn’t a surprise to me...But it’s always seems to be the go to film when people want to complain about the wrong film winning (and Paltrow winning too gets people annoyed). 

That and Marisa Tomei for “My Cousin Vinny” are the classic “how the hell did they win?!” comments.

Crash beating Brokeback was the dodgy result for me. Oh and for the 70th Oscars, Helen Hunt versus four British actresses (actors?), the American wins on the big anniversary, naturally.

Â