The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Bird Box is similar to but way way inferior to A Quiet Place. 

I'd be very surprised if Birdbox wasn't a direct result of A Quiet Place.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

MV5BMWJhNTM1MWYtZTllNy00MDRhLTlmZGQtMWY5

Superb psychological drama.

Well acted with a stand out performance from the talented bastard that is Johnny Flynn (Detectorists fans should recognise that name straight away). 

It's on Amazon Prime and is highly recommended :thumb:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love Silence of the lambs. Although never got round to watching the sequels, as I suspect I’d be disappointed. Did watch “Manhunter” with Brian Cox, that was good too.

Whenever I think of Lambs I always associate it with “One flew over the cuckoos nest” and “It happened one night” purely because they won “the big five” oscars and that little bit of pointless trivia has forever linked the three for me.

On 19/01/2019 at 22:34, Designer1 said:

MV5BMWJhNTM1MWYtZTllNy00MDRhLTlmZGQtMWY5

Superb psychological drama.

Well acted with a stand out performance from the talented bastard that is Johnny Flynn (Detectorists fans should recognise that name straight away). 

It's on Amazon Prime and is highly recommended :thumb:

Watched on your recommendation Si! Top film.  Cheers! 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Love Silence of the lambs. Although never got round to watching the sequels, as I suspect I’d be disappointed. Did watch “Manhunter” with Brian Cox, that was good too.

Whenever I think of Lambs I always associate it with “One flew over the cuckoos nest” and “It happened one night” purely because they won “the big five” oscars and that little bit of pointless trivia has forever linked the three for me.

I believe they are all on Netflix at the mo and worth watching, albeit not as great as Silence Of The Lambs.  

Watched Beautiful Boy yesterday. Still mulling over whether I liked it or not. There are powerful moments, and great performances from Chamolet and Carell, but  it didn't have the impact one might have expected. There are scenes which almost seem to scream "you should be in tears now", and it just didn't click. Whether it suffers from the time hops, from present to past ( although I think those bits actually worked well ) or trying to balance the perspectives of the father and son, something about it felt not quite patched together right, which is a shame. There are definitely absorbing, and moving moments in the film, and it definitely hits home the impact of a father trying to desperately help his son, and the sense of addiction not being something you can really just switch off from but annoyingly, too often I felt a little detached from it all. Maybe a more consistent, 'embedded' structure would have helped. 

47 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Watched Beautiful Boy yesterday. Still mulling over whether I liked it or not. There are powerful moments, and great performances from Chamolet and Carell, but  it didn't have the impact one might have expected. There are scenes which almost seem to scream "you should be in tears now", and it just didn't click. Whether it suffers from the time hops, from present to past ( although I think those bits actually worked well ) or trying to balance the perspectives of the father and son, something about it felt not quite patched together right, which is a shame. There are definitely absorbing, and moving moments in the film, and it definitely hits home the impact of a father trying to desperately help his son, and the sense of addiction not being something you can really just switch off from but annoyingly, too often I felt a little detached from it all. Maybe a more consistent, 'embedded' structure would have helped. 

I thought Steve Carell was great in it and his CV continues to expand quite impressively, he's so much more than the comedy actor he might have seemed in the 40 year old virgin and Anchorman days. I also thought he was great in Fox Catcher and The Way Way back for very different reasons.

Yes it was slightly jarring from switching back and forth quite a bit and as you say I didn't quite feel attached to the young lad although it was a great performance. Overall I think the subject matter prevented me from enjoying it as an experience but sometimes that's what the film sets out to do, I'm thinking of We need to talk about Kevin or the Florida project in a similar vein, sometimes its an uncomfortable ride. Ultimately here the parts seem to be greater than the sum for whatever reason.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

So Polar on Netflix was strange, I guess.

Seem like they tried to make some sort of mix between a Wes Anderson movie and the old Danish dark comedies by Anders Thomas Jensen that Mads Mikkelsen used to star in and Sin City all in one.

Extremely stylized, ended up a bit forced, weird for the sake of being weird. Lots of blood, lots of boobies, lots of ultra violence. Almost like a comic.

And while browsing around it turns out is it actually based on a graphic novel so that explains it. :D 

Meh.

Edited by sne

Oscar 2019 nominations

Best Picture

Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star Is Born
Vice

Actress in a Leading Role

Yalitza Aparicio
Glenn Close
Olivia Colman
Lady Gaga
Melissa McCarthy

Actor in a Leading Role

Christian Bale
Bradley Cooper
Willem Dafoe
Rami Malek
Viggo Mortensen

Directing

BlacKkKlansman
Cold War
The Favourite
Roma
Vice

Actor in a Supporting Role

Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Sam Rockwell, Vice

Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams, Vice
Marina de Tavira, Roma
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone, The Favourite
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Adapted Screenplay

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
BlacKkKlansman
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
If Beale Street Could Talk
A Star Is Born

Original Screenplay

The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Roma
Vice

Cinematography

Cold War
The Favourite
Never Look Away
Roma
A Star Is Born

Production Design

Black Panther
The Favourite
First Man
Mary Poppins Returns
Roma

Costume Design

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
Black Panther
The Favourite
Mary Poppins Returns
Mary Queen Of Scots

Film Editing

BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Vice

Foreign Language Film

Capernaum
Cold War
Never Look Away
Roma
Shoplifters

Documentary Feature

Free Solo
Hale County
Minding the Gap
Of Fathers and Sons
RBG

Documentary Short Subject

Black Sheep
End Game
Lifeboat
A Night at the Garden
Period. End Of Sentence

Animated Feature Film

Incredibles 2
Isle Of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Animated Short Film

Animal Behavior
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

Live Action Short Film

Detainment
Fauve
Marguerite
Mother
Skin

Original Score

Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
If Beale Street Could Talk
Isle Of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns

Original Song

All The Stars, Black Panther
I’ll Fight, RBG
The Place Where Lost Things Go, MPR
Shallow
When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings, Buster Scruggs

Visual Effects

Avengers: Infinity War
Christopher Robin
First Man
Ready Player One
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Makeup and Hairstyling

Border
Mary Queen of Scots
Vice

Sound Editing

Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
A Quiet Place
Roma

Sound Mixing

Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
Roma
A Star Is Born

Melissa McCarthy & Lada Gaga best actress ...

Sorry BoF I have to say I like the former and look forward to seeing her in her new film ( a world away from her comedy, mind so even those who really don't take to her comedy should give it a go btw ) and Lady Gaga was impressively good in A Star is Born.

The WTF bit for me is Bohemian Rhapsody in Best film :crylaugh:

I mean Black Panther is odd too - I mean it's a great fun action, Bond type thriller with a superhero cloak over it, but within that genre it's solid and entertaining but its not even the best Marvel film of the year, and it unfortunately I suppose is going to incur the usual vitriol from the "it's all PC" rocket polishers though. But hopefully the preseence of the aforementioned queen film distracts their attention instead.

I suppose twitter as ever is losing it's shit over the nominees

Lady Gaga was excellent in A Star is Born so no surprise to see her in there. Would be surprised if she won it though. Colman is better in the Favourite, for example.

Would be amazing to see Colman win that.

Just now, Rodders said:

Sorry BoF I have to say I like the former and look forward to seeing her in her new film ( a world away from her comedy, mind so even those who really don't take to her comedy should give it a go btw ) and Lady Gaga was impressively good in A Star is Born.

I mean Black Panther is odd too - I mean it's a great fun action, Bond type thriller with a superhero cloak over it, but within that genre it's solid and entertaining but its not even the best Marvel film of the year, and it unfortunately I suppose is going to incur the usual vitriol from the "it's all PC" rocket polishers though. But hopefully the preseence of the aforementioned queen film distracts their attention instead.

I suppose twitter as ever is losing it's shit over the nominees

I don't mind MMcM actually @Rodders, so I'll definitely check out 'Can You Ever Forgive Me' for curiosity's sake.  In fact I often enjoy when comedic actors move away from their comfort zone and play a straight role - as they're often very good at it (it's harder to be funny than not).  I just didn't have her in that upper echelon of actress, but I'm not against the idea.

ah fair enough, I know she has a lot of critics - or a few critics who are very vocal at any rate, but I've always enjoyed most of her stuff.

But yes comedians going straight is great - Steve Carell is such a good example of that. Saw him in a film called Last Flag Flying incidentally - aother good performance from him

6 minutes ago, Rodders said:

If Black Panther wins best film then I think the Oscars should just call it a day  ...  ignoring that the plot is essentially  just the Lion king but with super hero panthers  , I can think of dozens of more worthy films from 2018 that deserve a nomination  .. tbf I watched it again over Christmas with my daughter ( who has got into the marvel films so we've kinda started at Iron Man 1 and worked our way through them all) and it's better second time around then my initial reaction when i saw it in the cinema , but Oscar nomination worthy ..no

Bohemian Rhapsody I agree with you on .. I enjoyed the film far more than someone who doesn't like Queen really ought to  , but it's No best film

Â