The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Okja yesterday, absolutely loved it but it did make me sad.

It annoys me how easily we as humans are willing the slaughter anything that breathes for food, when we clearly don't need it. Guess it's a subject for a different thread.

Can't we all just get along :(

• Like 1

Really liked the second short film from Neill Bloomkamp's Oats Studios.

The first one, "Rakka" was really nice, and the second one "Firebase" was just as good.

Firebase is set during the Vietnam war, but is still very Bloomkamp. Can't wait to see the continuation of both of them.

The third short film "Zygote" drops tomorrow and so far they are all available on youtube.

Think they are going to go PPW with their later releases.

Really is a shame that they called off the Bloomkamp/Alien 5 project.

Finally got The Deer Hunter under my belt.  I think we'll go with an 8.5.  Pleasantly surprised that the story hadn't been ruined by spoilers in the intervening years.  Great cast (obviously) and all the iconic scenes that came together in my mind via old references/parodies.  And who knew old Meryl was a bit of a looker in her younger years too.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

Finally got The Deer Hunter under my belt.  I think we'll go with an 8.5.  Pleasantly surprised that the story hadn't been ruined by spoilers in the intervening years.  Great cast (obviously) and all the iconic scenes that came together in my mind via old references/parodies.  And who knew old Meryl was a bit of a looker in her younger years too.

Fantastic movie, one of my all time favorites.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I'd say out of all the older great films we've tried to force the yoof in our office to watch deer hunter was the worst received, running time and boring are the usual complaints

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'd say out of all the older great films we've tried to force the yoof in our office to watch deer hunter was the worst received, running time and boring are the usual complaints

Was that because it's too long and a bit boring? :)

51 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Boring and long, yes, that about sums it up. 

Yawn. 

Heard great things about this film, but I've tried watching it three times and only get halfway through. Until I watch it fully I can't judge, but it is long and slow going.

7 hours ago, BOF said:

First film I ever saw Meryl Streep in was Sophies Choice so I always thought she was a bit of a looker in her younger days. Christopher Walken's best performance and Di Nero was amazing in the movie too and not forgetting the chap who was dying when the movie was shot John Cazale. 

Edited by PaulC

I think part of the problem is it's a "war drama" from memory most of the film is about the wedding and the love triangle and the war is a back drop for half of the film, I suppose the argument would be does the final act work without the first act painfully setting up the characters?

The run time could be an issue but the three acts are done well and the story benefits from that. Plus it's of its time and there can often be a different feel and speed to that era.  I think the performances make the run time enjoyable. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think part of the problem is it's a "war drama" from memory most of the film is about the wedding and the love triangle and the war is a back drop for half of the film, I suppose the argument would be does the final act work without the first act painfully setting up the characters?

Yes the wedding is the boring bit. I think the character building was an integral part of the film. Many films these days don't focus on that enough. 

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Boring and long, yes, that about sums it up. 

Yawn. 

That was my reaction when I tried to watch it. I can't remember if I finished it, I don't think I did.

I was only about 18 when I tried though so it's one of those that I'd have to revisit before deciding I don't like it.

Bit like the Godfather.

10 hours ago, Rodders said:

Well Baby Driver is **** brilliant fun. :thumb: Wright's best film imo. Great music,cast and blend of action humour and a smidge of pathos. Top stuff. 

+1.

Loved it.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That was my reaction when I tried to watch it. I can't remember if I finished it, I don't think I did.

I was only about 18 when I tried though so it's one of those that I'd have to revisit before deciding I don't like it.

Bit like the Godfather.

It might be one for an older Stevo.  I'd say you've also got to be in one of those moods to sit and watch a long film. 

• Like 1

I had the Godfather collection but could be never be bothered to watch it. The 70s was a different. No home computers or tablets. The internet was still 2 decades away. 95% of people read newspapers. Films and tv were generally of a slower pace. I watched a re-run of the 70s cult classic The Survivors and its incredibly slow moving with not a lot happening. 

The Deer Hunter when released got bad reviews but its one  those films that became a classic over a period of time. But mainly because if the russian roulette scene

Edited by PaulC

Â