The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've done a bit of research and it was actually a film called Confessions. 

I bet @Designer1 has seen it! :)

I have it on Blu ray mate. Did I not put that on the list I sent you? I need a slap if I didn't.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I have it on Blu ray mate. Did I not put that on the list I sent you? I need a slap if I didn't.

You didn't mate, but no need to slap yourself! :D

Just now, Xela said:

You didn't mate, but no need to slap yourself! :D

Nah it's one of my faves so I've given myself a slap and a swig of milk ;)

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 20:35, Designer1 said:

MV5BMDA0N2U0OTUtN2U3My00NDg4LTgwNTctZmMy

Well that was terrific fun. Slick, funny and entertaining with Wright reining in some of his usual director 'box of tricks' to the benefit of the overall film. Recommended.

Absolutely superb soundtrack too :)

• Like 1

Indulged in a couple of films on the ay to and from holiday.

La La Land: It's definitely worth the hype. I thought it was brilliant.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: I've only seen "Rise" before. I think these are decent value. Nothing spectacular but a good watch. I'm a sucker for end of the world/post apocalyptic/disaster movies so it sat well with me

Crazy Stupid Love: slightly embarrassed to admit loving this film. Seen it a couple of times. Carrell and Gosling are both great.

The Hangover: standard

Passengers: this was probably the one that provoked the most thought with me. And discussion as the other half watched it too.

In general I liked it. I like the concept, I like the desperateness (is that a word) and the hopelessness of the situation. it would be a properly terrifying situation to be in. I'm also not sure it was deserving of the controversy it generated about the rapey nature of the movie. I think that must have been generated by people who hadn't actually watched it, but only heard the plot which, admittedly, does sound pretty rapey.
However, the tone of the movie is clear the whole way through that the decision the character makes is totally wrong, and the fact he wrestles with it for so long adds to that.

There were a couple of things I disliked:

The ending was crap. I think a more tragic ending would have been much more fitting. Either Pratt's character dying or Lawrence's character going back into hibernation to separate them would have been a better way to finish.

Spoiler

I also hated Lawrence Fishburne's character's cameo. It was just so incredibly convenient that his hibernation pod happened to malfunction as well (when it had already been hammered home how foolproof those pods are), and that he lived just long enough to tell them what they had to do to save the ship and then conveniently died incredibly quickly before he could help them. I realise why they had to do it, but I don't think it was done very well

Worth a couple of hours of your time though.

Seeing Baby Driver tonight. 

Haven't looked this forward to a film for quite some time. Hope it's as good as some of you lot are saying. I'm sure it will be, I bloody love Edgar Wright. Even Scott Pilgrim which I know divides a lot of people (though I am a fan of the source material admittedly).

My friend showed me the Baby Driver trailer a few months ago and was incredibly excited about it. Whereas I gave it a big fat meh and couldn't see what the fuss was about.

So I'm quite surprised to see the hype around it now.

But I'm also very much looking forward to it, given that hype :) 

Alien Covenant was better on second viewing I thought. Admittedly its a one man show from Fassbender but he elevates the movie above the standard sci-fi fare it could have been. (See Life for a more recent example)

Can anyone tell me what the point of Spider Man Homecoming is please?

3 different versions now all within 10-11 years? Absolutely laughable and just stinks of consumer rip-off, Reviews are starting to filter through now and it looks mediocre, exactly as expected.

8 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Can anyone tell me what the point of Spider Man Homecoming is please?

3 different versions now all within 10-11 years? Absolutely laughable and just stinks of consumer rip-off, Reviews are starting to filter through now and it looks mediocre, exactly as expected.

Short version? Popular character being brought into the biggest franchise in the world.

Long version? Sony own the rights to Spider-Man and all directly related properties so long as they keep using them. The Raimi trilogy did very well (3 being one of the biggest movies ever for a while and 2 is still considered a brilliant example of a comic book movie), Raimi got annoyed during 3 and didn't want to do another, so they took 5 years to reboot it. The reboot didn't quite work and the sequel underperformed. Sony wanted to keep the license and also desperately want a cash cow franchise universe, but keep **** up, meanwhile Marvel want the character back and everything they do makes shitloads. They strike a deal that basically says 'Marvel get to use the character for a while, Sony pay for solo movies and Marvel make them as part of the MCU, Sony keep the profits'. So they reboot it again for a clean break and to establish a more comic accurate take on the character.

It's 3 versions over the span of 16 years. That's a lot, but then in a similar length of time there'd been 4 Batmen (Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale between 1989 and 2005).

Consumers don't have to watch it. And it's reviewed pretty well so far.

• Like 3

On 26/06/2017 at 19:11, Xela said:

Fancied a nice happy film on Sunday... was a toss up between Bambi and this:

I Saw the Devil

220px-Isawthedevil.jpg

Well, that was a nice cheery film!

Seriously though, it was fantastic and very violent. Another great bit of Korean cinema

There are no happy endings in these films!

Watched this last night because of this thread and loved every stinking minute of it! Think I have found my genre based on this and old boy. Gonna try that bedevilled one that you are talking about next

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Watched this last night because of this thread and loved every stinking minute of it! Think I have found my genre based on this and old boy. Gonna try that bedevilled one that you are talking about next

tumblr_nxsve46NjX1rdh22zo1_500.gif

The circle, what a load of crap. Tom hanks has certainly done some bad movies lately and Emma Watson should stick to Harry Potter because she brings the term wooden to a whole new level. 

18 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

I strongly recommend The Isle as well if you haven't seen it. Brilliant film. 

• Like 1

Â