The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

It might be one for an older Stevo.  I'd say you've also got to be in one of those moods to sit and watch a long film. 

Yep. I've not written it off. I just couldn't get on with it first time. Again, like the Godfather. I just don't think I was of an age where I could fully appreciate it.

I imagine if I went and saw it at a cinema I'd be into it. But it's getting rarer that I invest in a film of that length at home these days.

It's been added to the list.

I love loads of seventies movies, and I do regard it as the great decade of American independent cinema, before Star Wars and Jaws came along and ruined the summer, Easy Riders and Raging Bulls and all the rest of it. 

I just find both The Deer Hunter and The Godfather (especially part 2!) really boring. 

The Deer Hunter - watched it ages ago, but remember thinking it was a slog. I think I'd struggle now as my attention span has shortened over the years!

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I love loads of seventies movies, and I do regard it as the great decade of American independent cinema, before Star Wars and Jaws came along and ruined the summer, Easy Riders and Raging Bulls and all the rest of it. 

I just find both The Deer Hunter and The Godfather (especially part 2!) really boring. 

Number 2 gets away with it for me because it's the 2 stories, i think the bit where de Niro goes to Sicily grinds but other than that it's ok

Thinking about 70s movies

Deliverance
A Clockwork Orange
One Flew over the cuckoos nest
The Shining
Paris Texas
Taxi Driver
French Connection and French Connection 2
High Plains Drifter
The Day of the Jackal
Marathan Man
The Whicker mAN
Straw Dogs
All The Presidents Men
Papillon
Carrie
The Sting

• Like 2

War of the planet of the Apes tonight

meh with a little bit of good stuff , liked how the neatly tie a few more things up into the original timeline , kinda enjoyed playing spot  the film they ripped off / paid homage to but really they should have stopped after the first one 

but no doubt I'll be back for the 4th one to see how they follow the timeline ....

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I do probably think it's the decade with the most overrated films but you still have Jaws, Star Wars, alien, taxi driver, grease (yeah I went there) rocky, Kramer vs Kramer 

Manhattan, Julia, Logans Run (whatever happened to Michael Yorke), Westworld. The 70s ant that bad afterall

Sooo.  Baby Driver.

Well THAT was weird. It was on my recommendation that 2 of my mates tagged along, as they knew nothing about it. You may be familiar with my pathological f**king HATRED of musicals, so you'll understand that my heart went sideways at the start when it looked like it might BE one. Where he buys the coffees (that's not a big spoiler btw) I'm thinking oh f**king no way.  And my mates were rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of the merciless mocking I'd be getting afterwards.

Thankfully that's the worst it got. But that's only in hindsight. I still spent the next half an hour waiting in absolute dread for the next musical outburst.

I also think the film suffered from an identity crisis. At points it was cartoony. At points it was trying to be serious. Then there was the overly cheesy one-liner deliveries.  The gunfire synchronised with the music (yes really). Then the spaghetti-westernesque close-ups of angry squinting eyes. And the cool car chase stuff.

It's fun and all. But it's trying too hard and it thinks it's a whole lot cooler than it is.

And it's still ... a bit weird.

We'll go 6.96/10

WPB

But that waitress.  Hommena hommena.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Number 2 gets away with it for me because it's the 2 stories, i think the bit where de Niro goes to Sicily grinds but other than that it's ok

Godfather 2 is possibly the most bored I've ever been watching a movie.

When it asked me "insert disc 2" I almost cried.

• Like 1

If I'm bored with a film I just don't bother watching it. I don't care how highly rated it is, theres no point wasting time watching something you don't like. I thought The girl a train was eant to be good but was bored after 20 mins so didn't watch the rest. The Godfather would just bore me. The Sopranos I have never bothered with because anything to do with the mob just bores me. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

If I'm bored with a film I just don't bother watching it. I don't care how highly rated it is, theres no point wasting time watching something you don't like. I thought The girl a train was eant to be good but was bored after 20 mins so didn't watch the rest. The Godfather would just bore me. The Sopranos I have never bothered with because anything to do with the mob just bores me. 

I'm usually the same, but I made an exception for supposedly the best film(s) ever.

The Sopranos isn't really about the mob. Sort of.

@BOF Not seen baby driver, but the waitress is Lily James isn't it? If so, then it's also a :wub: from me.

On the subject of giving up on classic films. I remember trying to watch Chinatown and switching off after half an hour or so, I really found it slow and boring. 

A year or two later I found myself watching it again and getting really engrossed in it. For me, it's one of the "classics" from the seventies which warrants the praise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

For utter eye-stabbing long film boredom and me, see Schindler's List.

:o 

it isnt as perfect as its sometimes made out to be but im not sure boring is a something id tag it with

Edited by villa4europe

20 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

@BOF Not seen baby driver, but the waitress is Lily James isn't it? If so, then it's also a :wub: from me.

Yes it is.

@BOF is in my bad books for insulting Baby Driver and Schindler's List within the same page :angry:

Didn't find Schindler's List or Godfather I or II boring, quite the opposite in fact, but I did struggle through The Deer Hunter. Apocalypse Now is another one I tried in my youth and got bored, though I suspect I'd enjoy both AN and TDH a lot more if I watched them now.

I watched Chinatown a couple of years ago and still found it all a bit dull, though. I guess I'm not all that cultured.

Â