The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

So, what can I say about Baby Driver?

Saw it earlier this week and I think it's one of the best films I've seen at the cinema. I loved everything about it. It's not just the awesome soundtrack but how it's implemented into the film and I came out wondering why more films don't do it. Perhaps they will now, obviously I'm talking about more mainstream films as opposed to musicals.

It was so much fun and super slick and the choreography of everything from the car chases and shoot outs to the simple scene where he goes to get coffee is just wonderfully done.

We all had massive grins on our faces throughout. The story was good and you knew right away that it wasn't taking itself totally seriously and that whilst the film is set in the real world, it's not meant to be totally grounded in reality. I thought the characters were pretty well developed despite not being very deep and the romance running through it was believable if a little fairytale, but who doesn't love a fairytale?

The actors all did a good turn, particularly Jamie Foxx and the young lad playing Baby who I'd never seen in anything before. The characters were colourful and the dialogue was punchy. I think I read somewhere that they matched the lines to the rhythm of the music to some extent, which if they did is brilliant. The little extra details and flourishes really make this a special cinematic experience.

I think my only very minor gripe with the story would be...

Spoiler

Spacey's tonal shift in the third act from serious, 'don't **** up with me or you'll end up dead in the trunk of a car', professional criminal mastermind to 'd'aww, you kids are cute, I'll give up my life to save you' anti-hero.

I questioned it for a second but was along for the ride so it didn't bug me so much. Perhaps a little more backstory on his character earlier in the film that hinted at him being a bit of a softie for young love might have paved the way for his heroic actions towards the end of the film. If anything, the scene where he threatened Baby to do the job or Debra would wind up sleeping with the fishes made his ending more unbelievable.

But aside from that? I was glued from start to finish and I came out of the cinema absolutely buzzing and it's rare that a film makes me feel that way. Seeing it again next week.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 4

The Infiltrator with Bryan Cranston was an easy Saturday night movie to watch.

Based on true events of an undercover sting on Escobar's money laundering in the US led by customs in the eightees. 

Not mind-blowingly  original but certainly worth a watch. 

Due to the impeccable recommendations from this thread, I watched Train to Busan yesterday.

I was not disappointed. One of the best Z films since Romero's Night, Dawn, and Day.

Later that evening, while settling in with the missus, we watched another recommendation, a nice cheery Korean rom com, " I Saw the Devil".

Good movie, but it wasn't very romantic.

• Like 2

I really loved the design of the Vulture. A lot of the characters in the MCU play up to the fact they look kinda silly, but they're super heroes / villains so as a viewer I think we just accept it really. 

In Vulture though you can see his character in his outfit, he and his are basically junkers, and you can see that. 

I really liked the final post credit scene. The use of Captain America all the way though was great, and that topped it off brilliantly I thought. There was at least one audible groan, though. 

The big surprise in the movie really did blind side me, and the story really stepped up from there. 

I hear from a lot of people that they're getting sick of comic book movies. Oddly, I'm becoming more invested in them now than ever. 

14 hours ago, snowychap said:

Just reading about Randy Quaid. He's gone a little bit/pretty bananas.

I do like to hear of actors going bonkers like this! 

Watched Tobe Hooper's (Poltergeist, Texas chainsaw massacre...) Lifeforce for the first time in ages.

It really is one of the most amazingly terrible/brilliant films ever. The acting is hilariously over the top even thou there are some good actors. Fun fact: U get to see Patrick Stewart confined to a wheelchair although this time as a doctor and not a professor.

The plot is bizarre, as someone on IMDB wrote: "the greatest naked space vampire zombies from Halley's Comet running amok in London end-of-the-world movie ever made"

The entire movie is a big WTF?! But in a fun way.

Very much a so bad it's good movie.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

A cure for wellness.. it's a bit odd isn't it. Definitely a what the hell film

Decent movie, could have been very good if it was 45 minutes shorter and an editor had told the director when he was just being self-indulgent. 

I was quite enjoying it, but I thought it came off the rails pretty badly at the end. 

• Like 2

Â