The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just now, Ginko said:

@BOF is in my bad books for insulting Baby Driver and Schindler's List within the same page :angry:

Didn't find Schindler's List or Godfather I or II boring, quite the opposite in fact, but I did struggle through The Deer Hunter. Apocalypse Now is another one I tried in my youth and got bored, though I suspect I'd enjoy both AN and TDH a lot more if I watched them now.

I watched Chinatown a couple of years ago and still found it all a bit dull, though. I guess I'm not all that cultured.

You took my Baby Driver review as an insult?  Glowing, hardly, but insult?  No.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

You took my Baby Driver review as an insult?  Glowing, hardly, but insult?  No.

I wasn't being totally serious in all fairness, though I adored it so I guess any criticism, no matter how minor, is going to be viewed as an insult by me ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Chinatown is **** brilliant.

I really wanted to like it. In many of the screenwriting books I've read it's hailed as the perfect script and story, but i just didn't love it like I knew I should.

2 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I wasn't being totally serious in all fairness, though I adored it so I guess any criticism, no matter how minor, is going to be viewed as an insult by me ;)

Actually I've read it back and I think it probably sounds harsher than I wanted.  The musical start straight up terrified me though.

13 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I thought that her look was a homage to the waitress in the original Twin Peaks (Shelly Johnson).

Wow, she looks the spit of her.

1uRatnB.gif

I thought the universally loved ( it seems ) Baby Driver was total and utter garbage.

I just left the theatre in a state of confusion, was it a comedy, was it a musical, was it action, was it a heist film. What were they going for, what am I supposed to make of it all?  At the very least as it went on and got a bit more sillier I thought it was building towards an epic finale but it was all just so flat and cliche.

I must be out of touch or getting old because I thought it was just a total mess.

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I thought the universally loved ( it seems ) Baby Driver was total and utter garbage.

I just left the theatre in a state of confusion, was it a comedy, was it a musical, was it action, was it a heist film. What were they going for, what am I supposed to make of it all?  At the very least as it went on and got a bit more sillier I thought it was building towards an epic finale but it was all just so flat and cliche.

I must be out of touch or getting old because I thought it was just a total mess.

I'm stunned that anyone could call that film garbage

• Like 4

It's as much a musical as Guardians of the Galaxy is.

I thought it's use of music was brilliant. John Hamm's shotgun blasts in time with the music was beautiful.

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

I really don't see how Baby Driver could be considered a musical. It uses music in an imaginative way, but it's hardly West Side Story! 

I would have walked out very early if it was a musical, and that is not a joke. 

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm stunned that anyone could call that film garbage

I enjoyed it though a tad overhyped but I think its definitely a film that will be divisive among most with nothing in the middle

I dunno, maybe it was the mood I was in or the fact I don't get to the cinema too often, I wanted something entertaining and I got it and wasn't looking at what type of film it was supposed to be. For me it had great choreography on the car speeding scenes, and a simple plot around which the humour and set pieces took part. May not have been flawless, but I thought the main lad was engaging, Jon Hamm was clearly having a blast ( yes, that's an intended pun B) ) , there were some good laughs. Plus I loved the music involved, it really tied the film together, a bit cheesy maybe at times, but within the self aware confines of the film it was foot tappingly kinetic. Never a dull moment.

Not saying there aren't criticisms:

Spoiler

Spacey's character's volte-face at the end was a bit out of the blue for example.

Beauty and the Beast. I can't imagine how they could have a live action adaptation of a classic Disney cartoon, meshed with a Broadway musical, any better for the big screen. They seem to be getting better at it, although I must admit I haven't seen all the previous adaptations. If they can keep their production values as high as they have with this one (which it seems they will), then I dare say they'll be churning out live action remakes for literally decades. Probably for the entire back catalogue.

I'm looking forward to The Aristocats myself. Hopefully with real animals.

They could have made the beast look more like his animated counterpart. They tried to make him more graceful and less animal, so he looks wrong.

Also, not cast Hermione.

• Like 3

See, I'm usually a stickler for a film needing to have an identity, so I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it if I didn't think Baby Driver knew what kind of a film it wanted to be. It's an action/heist film with a romance running through the middle and the occasional gag. It never tries to take itself seriously and I think that's pretty clear from the outset. It's not a musical, but it incorporates the music more directly into the film and uses it in imaginative ways.

Anyways, I saw Spider-Man: Homecoming last night. Was okay. I'm a big Spidey fan and I didn't dislike it, but it didn't really do much for me either. I can't think of any criticisms really, but I can't say I was all that wowed. I do like Tom Holland though and Keaton was a good villain.

War for the Planet of the Apes is up next. Love the first two films so hoping this will end it on a real high. I was a bit pissed off that the newest trailer I saw last night at Spider-Man seemed to show the entire film, though.

Edited by Ginko

Â