The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Separado last night. If you like Gruff Rhys it's good fun. I'd seen his American Interior film a few years ago exploring a mythical Welsh link in the old american colonies, and that was very entertaining. This one was a few years before that and explores a familial link with him and the welsh speaking gaucho Rene Griffiths, a timeline split one great grandparent buggering off to Patagonia in the 19th Century. It's quirky with some slightly psychedelic moments to it, but an entertaining look of someone exploring their family roots. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Designer1 said:

wild-bunch.jpeg

Terrific movie.

Surreal, wickedly dark and humorous.

Seconded. Pretty tough watch at times. Had to pause one scene to control my gag reflex (but i'm a bit a big woose like that)

But overall a great movie with a properly creepy vibe throughout. Would thoroughly recommend it to any big horror/ gore/ body-horror fans out there. Might be a bit much for the "normo's"

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

...Trying to work out the gag...

Not a gag.  It's actually a compliment.  We're waiting.  It's coming and I know it'll be a biggie, and I expect nothing less.  You've a rep to uphold in here now :thumb:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BOF said:

Not a gag.  It's actually a compliment.  We're waiting.  It's coming and I know it'll be a biggie, and I expect nothing less.  You've a rep to uphold in here now :thumb:

Hopefully I'll jot something down over the weekend if I manage to see it. Not well at the moment.

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

In other news, the Mummy, the kickstarter for the Dark Universe, is shit.

I swear nobody saw that coming...

Dark Universe - DOA.

You know my thoughts on that.

I allowed myself a little wry smile when the first reviews started filtering through as I had expected it to be poor from the trailer.

I'm going to see it next week (I have a cinema pass so might as well) although I imagine I'll need a Karloff and Lugosi double bill to cleanse the palate afterwards.

What a waste of brilliant characters.

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

You know my thoughts on that.

I allowed myself a little wry smile when the first reviews started filtering through as I had expected it to be poor from the trailer.

I'm going to see it next week (I have a cinema pass so might as well) although I imagine I'll need a Karloff and Lugosi double bill to cleanse the palate afterwards.

What a waste of brilliant characters.

I wasn't expecting it to be much cop but I thought it might be fun and we'd go see it one night for a giggle.

Apparently it's dogshit though. I find Tom Cruise an awkward presence in movies these days but some things you go past that (Edge of Tomorrow fur instance) but in a really bad movie? And that dialogue... Christ.

Then I realised it's directed by Kurtzman. Who is/was a dreadful, dreadful writer. Seems he transferred his skill to directing... And he's a producer on a bunch of other Dark Universe projects!

Universal, you done **** it. This is a really easy idea to do well. How'd you **** up so bad?!

• Like 1

When Kermode reviewed the movie, he said something along the lines of 'its so much a Tom Cruise movie that they should have just called it Tom Cruise' :D

Oh well, at least I've got My Cousin Rachel to look forward to at the weekend. No Joe Pesci though ;)

mid feb date too, thats a surprise, bank holiday in yank land

i watched WW last weekend, its pretty much what the critics have said, good solid enjoyable film, easily the best DC film, she's beautiful but not a perfect actor, the fight scenes are really well choreographed, the big battle isnt as good as the rest of the film, it balances the films biggest named star (chris pine) being male and it being gadot's film, my 2 complaints would be 1 really suspect piece of casting and despite me thinking its probably better than the first CA i felt id seen a large chunk of it done before

22 hours ago, Designer1 said:

When Kermode reviewed the movie, he said something along the lines of 'its so much a Tom Cruise movie that they should have just called it Tom Cruise' :D

Oh well, at least I've got My Cousin Rachel to look forward to at the weekend. No Joe Pesci though ;)

So it's yet another movie of Tom Cruise running.

Bildresultat för tom cruise running from gay thoughts family guy animated gif

Guess they have to add to the compilation...

Edit: No it  was already on it :D

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Great little film. 

eo72XQKflZdvUgkKz7N431YnU7t.jpg

Very much is the style of Beyond Sunrise...

It made me want to back to Hong Kong and soak in the atmosphere and sights again. 

Film 8/10. Jamie Chung 9/10. WB

Edited by Xela

So er, uneducated non-comic fan question here - is he literally the human manifestation of a Black Panther or...what? Or something akin to the African version of Captain America? What's the source of his strength?

Â