The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I thought I knew a lot about the OJ trial, but

Spoiler

I never realised just how racially motivated the whole thing was. I was very surprised by that. One of the jurors openly admitting she found him not guilty purely because he was black and she was getting her own back on the law was quite shocking.

I also didn't know how he got pretty much screwed over with his current prison stretch. I can't feel sorry for him because he should be in jail anyway, but the sentence he's serving is incredibly harsh if you purely look at the crime he committed that time around, imo.

I watched Logan the other day, I tend to hate superhero / Xmeny type films but thought this was very good.

I think I've come to the conclusion that the reason I dislike the superhero films is simply because it's aimed at children. By that i mean, no gory violence, barely any blood, and a lot of cheap humour (which isn't remotely funny, Tony Stark I'm looking at you) etc...  

Whereas Logan was quite brutal and had subtle humour, and I liked it.

Edited by PieFacE

21 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Alexandra Daddario will make Baywatch watchable.

She plays the 'plain' one in Baywatch!

Unbelievable! 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Hide contents

I never realised just how racially motivated the whole thing was. I was very surprised by that. One of the jurors openly admitting she found him not guilty purely because he was black and she was getting her own back on the law was quite shocking.

I also didn't know how he got pretty much screwed over with his current prison stretch. I can't feel sorry for him because he should be in jail anyway, but the sentence he's serving is incredibly harsh if you purely look at the crime he committed that time around, imo.

Spoiler

agreed on both. But when you see the extent of the LAPD being dicks, you can understand the inflammatory context in which that happened, if not condoning it of course. Agree on the second bit too, I was amazed by how excessive that seemed. Just so much wrong-righting / righting-wrongs going on from the beginning

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I think the woman saying she just wanted to go home was equally as shocking, I also didn't know about the hitler stuff in the closing speech, way out of order

Saw King Arthur tonight.

There's stuff to like in it, but it's also a mess. Every choice made on the CGI was a bad one. Every piece of att design is bad. It plays up the fantastical elements, but takes it slightly too far every time. It's too much cockerney geeza to be credible. And how they spent 175m on it I don't know.

A shame.

Well Wonder Woman is a cracking slice of entertainment.

Goes without saying that it's comfortably DCEU's best movie (not difficult really)

It all rattles along at a good pace and a very straightforward narrative means that pace doesn't drop. There's some cracking set pieces, the highlight of which is a scene in no mans land (superbly shot) followed by a battle in a German occupied village.

Gal Gadot is decent enough, if something of a mixed bag - she's great in the action scenes but less so when she has to do anything dramatic (she is bloody lovely though).

My only real gripe is the last 20 minutes or so shift into very predictable comic book territory, but I can forgive that to be honest as the rest is such good fun.

Hopefully this will mark an upturn in the quality of the DC releases, although from what i've seen of Justice League, i'm still very sceptical.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Well Wonder Woman is a cracking slice of entertainment.

Goes without saying that it's comfortably DCEU's best movie (not difficult really)

It all rattles along at a good pace and a very straightforward narrative means that pace doesn't drop. There's some cracking set pieces, the highlight of which is a scene in no mans land (superbly shot) followed by a battle in a German occupied village.

Gal Gadot is decent enough, if something of a mixed bag - she's great in the action scenes but less so when she has to do anything dramatic (she is bloody lovely though).

My only real gripe is the last 20 minutes or so shift into very predictable comic book territory, but I can forgive that to be honest as the rest is such good fun.

Hopefully this will mark an upturn in the quality of the DC releases, although from what i've seen of Justice League, i'm still very sceptical.

I've been surprised with how positive the reception has been to this. All the talk during production was it was a saveable mess (like Justice League is supposedly), the Cap 1 feel is very apparent, and otherwise its an origin story. And Gadot is a dreadful actress.

But the reviews are pretty unanimously positive... Kinda looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've been surprised with how positive the reception has been to this. All the talk during production was it was a saveable mess (like Justice League is supposedly), the Cap 1 feel is very apparent, and otherwise its an origin story. And Gadot is a dreadful actress.

But the reviews are pretty unanimously positive... Kinda looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.

I always had a feeling this would be quite good. The DC movies do have a different feel to the marvel universe and sooner or later they were going to get one right, might have been a fluke, who knows.

37 minutes ago, Chindie said:

15 hours ago, Designer1 said:

It all rattles along at a good pace and a very straightforward narrative means that pace doesn't drop.

Sorry to quote myself, but the line above is the most important thing for me. It's very much A to B, then move swiftly on to C in storytelling terms but that helps immensely.

I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Sorry to quote myself, but the line above is the most important thing for me. It's very much A to B, then move swiftly on to C in storytelling terms but that helps immensely.

I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it.

I am up for some straight forward action fare... Very glad to hear there some nicely shot sequences. I'm a sucker for an 'iconic moment' shot, which I'm guessing the No Mans Land sequence should be (and was hinted as being the standout moment from the first trailer).

Great :). I'm happy DC might finally have one right, I might not like much of their roster but there's enough big hitters in there which lend themselves to a different kind of tone to Marvel. Hopefully the beginning of a change.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

They were 'just' stabbed multiple times weren't they?

They were stabbed ferociously. Nicole was stabbed so brutally her throat was ripped open and her vertebrae was slashed.

The bodies had all the signs of a very powerful attacker going absolutely berserk.

21 minutes ago, Chindie said:

They were stabbed ferociously. Nicole was stabbed so brutally her throat was ripped open and her vertebrae was slashed.

The bodies had all the signs of a very powerful attacker going absolutely berserk.

Powerful you say, like a tall muscular guy perhaps like an athlete?

• Like 3

Â