The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Don't get the hate for Tom Cruise to be honest. I know he's a Scientologist and I have very strong feelings towards them, but I just judge Cruise by his acting and how he comes across in interviews. From them he seems like a decent chap, if a little strange, but as Xela said, incredibly dedicated to his work and very professional. I like a lot of his films.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Don't get the hate for Tom Cruise to be honest. I know he's a Scientologist and I have very strong feelings towards them, but I just judge Cruise by his acting and how he comes across in interviews. From them he seems like a decent chap, if a little strange, but as Xela said, incredibly dedicated to his work and very professional. I like a lot of his films.

My dislike of him is not entirely based on his personality or weird traits that sometimes come out. Its mainly because he's too big of a star name which means that I can never watch a film of his and not just be thinking that's tom cruise, I can never believe he is actually the character he is portraying and that's a big issue for me.

• Like 1

So last weekend I went camping near Matlock in Derbyshire and into Matlock Bath where a friend told me local boys Shane Meadows and Paddy Considine has filmed Dead Man's Shoes which I'd never watched but had heard good things about.

Well, I watched it last night and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I expected something darker and deeper and it just felt a bit like a pretty decent student film in the end. There was no real character work done so I didn't feel anything for anyone except for maybe Toby Kebbel's character (he was the best part of the film for me).

The story was a bit silly (why did no one call the police if they knew they were going to be murderered?) and the twist at the end didn't have any effect on me, neither did the ending itself which also seemed daft. I think it was trying too hard, but perhaps I'm being a bit unfair as I was expecting something akin to In Bruges which is one of my favourite films - 6/10 WNB (again)

I then treated myself to watching In Bruges again afterwards. Such a great fil'um that has you laugh out loud one minute and gets you in the feels the next. So many memorable and quotable bits and the cast is bloody brilliant - 9.5/10 WB (again and again)

• Like 1

On 2017-6-2 at 14:34, TrentVilla said:

Powerful you say, like a tall muscular guy perhaps like an athlete?

But with really, really small hands that they may want to conceal..

CcVmGYBUEAAabQ_.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I then treated myself to watching In Bruges again afterwards. Such a great fil'um that has you laugh out loud one minute and gets you in the feels the next. So many memorable and quotable bits and the cast is bloody brilliant - 9.5/10 WB (again and again)

A photo from a trip to Bruges last year, this made me chuckle much more than it should have. 

FB_IMG_1496572486151.jpg

• Like 1

Swiss Army Man was very amusing, kooky and an easy 90 minutes viewing. 

Both Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe (as a 'talented' corpse) were very good indeed. 

Loved the soundtrack too (sung in the majority by the cast) 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 3

This looks a bit interesting.

Not sure what it will actually turn out to be, doesn't even have an proper entry on IMDB yet.

Edited by sne

So, Wonder Woman. 

Can't quite put my finger on what it was, but it was captivating throughout and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen......

DC5D4EF6-8A13-42C6-BB61-52FA733B6C29-1626-000001AF0A289B22.jpeg

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

Watched that British boxing film Jawbone. Great cast with Ian McShane, Michael Smiley and Ray Winstone, you slags. Not the usual geezery rubbish.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2017 at 12:17, pooligan said:

5 Fingers  (1952)

A Golden oldie i came across by chance Really enjoyed watching it 

I wonder what you've to search for to come across a name like that by chance ;)

On 03/06/2017 at 18:26, villa4europe said:

You're not allowed to say that!

youre right about reacher though, deserved a 2nd one but didn't hit the heights, I'd say MI has peaked too, mummy doesn't really interest me, glad they're doing edge of tomorrow 2 again that deserved a sequel

You're also getting a Top Gun 2.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

wild-bunch.jpeg

Terrific movie.

Surreal, wickedly dark and humorous.

Have you seen 'We Are What We Are' or the Mexican original 'Somos Lo Que Hay'? 

Also very dark, amusing and along the same lines. 

8 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Have you seen 'We Are What We Are' or the Mexican original 'Somos Lo Que Hay'? 

Also very dark, amusing and along the same lines. 

I have indeed mate. I thought Raw was much better if I'm honest.

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I have indeed mate. I thought Raw was much better if I'm honest.

That's great news as I've yet to see Raw but it's on my list!

train to busan tonight (as it's the wife's birthday!)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

That's great news as I've yet to see Raw but it's on my list!

train to busan tonight (as it's the wife's birthday!)

Train to Busan is one of the best things I've seen this year. 

Absolutely superb movie.

• Like 2

Â