The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

8 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I don't see any reason why there isn't room for all genres. I watch a very wide range of movies and to me a good movie is a good movie, irrespective if the main characters are wearing capes or not.

Indeed.

I might be the comic book guy here but i do enjoy more or less any genre, if the movie is good enough. I can enjoy anything from Oscar bait to animations, there's not much i right off as a genre.

I'm just tired of sneering at comic book stuff. It's exceptionally easy to avoid if its really not your thing, and bar, in a big year (and not including the stuff that isn't obviously comic book based, the Road to Perdition's of the world) maybe 7 weekends in 52, there's not one coming out. But there's a dozen other films out every week.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Indeed.

I might be the comic book guy here but i do enjoy more or less any genre, if the movie is good enough. I can enjoy anything from Oscar bait to animations, there's not much i right off as a genre.

I'm just tired of sneering at comic book stuff. It's exceptionally easy to avoid if its really not your thing, and bar, in a big year (and not including the stuff that isn't obviously comic book based, the Road to Perdition's of the world) maybe 7 weekends in 52, there's not one coming out. But there's a dozen other films out every week.

Its not always as simple as just ignoring it though. They are all over the buses, the adverts are on tv during every advert break, there's big spreads in the news papers. If you go to the cinema its on in every screen and there's a showing every 5 minutes while the indie film you wanted to see has one showing at 10:45pm if you are lucky.

I can see both sides to the argument but its a lot easier to ignore the latest Oscar bait film than it is to ignore Avengers 3. I think that's where some of the frustration comes from.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Its not always as simple as just ignoring it though. They are all over the buses, the adverts are on tv during every advert break, there's big spreads in the news papers. If you go to the cinema its on in every screen and there's a showing every 5 minutes while the indie film you wanted to see has one showing at 10:45pm if you are lucky.

I can see both sides to the argument but its a lot easier to ignore the latest Oscar bait film than it is to ignore Avengers 3. I think that's where some of the frustration comes from.

I must be a strange case. I can't recall the last bus advert i saw, I've genuinely not seem a TV ad in months, or a newspaper. I don't even watch ads on YouTube. When the latest Marvel entry comes along, that doesn't change. I don't see the ads, because I've no interest in paying attention to them.

I've never had a problem seeing a movie i want to see at a cinema, and I've watched things in the last few years from Macbeth to Far from the Madding Crowd and High Rise. And i saw those without putting myself put much at all - a slightly longer walk, mostly.

As said, you can ignore it if you want to. I ignore loads of stuff i don't like. I can't be bothered with wasting attention on things that irritate me. Hence I've never seen a single episode of any crap Saturday night 'talent' show. And those things dominate every channel across dozens of weeks and multiple programmes and associated media :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jon_c said:

They also make a plethora of god awful horror movies every year, (how many saw, or paranormal activity films now?) Or maybe a load of terrible Adam Sandler comedies, or the Fast and the Furious franchise. But they make money. 

You know what I do, don't watch them. 

They're aren't so many horror movies coming out now really.

I hate comic book films in general, although there are notable exceptions, but I don't have any problem with them being made.

There's hundreds of terrible movies made every year and most of them don't make nearly as much money as most comic book movies do.

They're mostly crap, but just don't watch them. They're not going to stop making them until they stop making money and that isn't going to be any time soon.

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

Indeed.

Fairly sure comic book guy would have something to say about the use of right over write :)

ive watched most of the superhero films , they are what they are and even though I don't give buzzing reviews of them afterwards ( deadpool and the raccoon movie being the exception ) I still go see them for a bit of escapism , fun and an excuse to eat pick n mix ..

I guess my main gripe is they keep expanding the characters and then spinning off new stories and then bringing them all together , Logan kinda at least went for a more original approach instead of just bringing down giant aliens through a worm hole whilst the hero saves the day and wisecracks as he does it ... 

No doubt , I'll end up seeing the next ones , I just sorta wish they limited the output a little 

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

men in black other than no 1 has been shit though

ourTyji.png

MIB2 was the weakest of the 3, but they're all great :) I've probably seen MIB3 more than the others combined.  I could play any role in it.  It's perfectly cast.  Great characters.  Boris the animal, Griffin, hell even Jeffrey Price "duh, time jump!".  Yes, you've just uncovered my guilty pleasure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Fairly sure comic book guy would have something to say about the use of right over write :)

ive watched most of the superhero films , they are what they are and even though I don't give buzzing reviews of them afterwards ( deadpool and the raccoon movie being the exception ) I still go see them for a bit of escapism , fun and an excuse to eat pick n mix ..

I guess my main gripe is they keep expanding the characters and then spinning off new stories and then bringing them all together , Logan kinda at least went for a more original approach instead of just bringing down giant aliens through a worm hole whilst the hero saves the day and wisecracks as he does it ... 

No doubt , I'll end up seeing the next ones , I just sorta wish they limited the output a little 

I'll blame long days and being unwell ATM :)

The spinning off is mostly a Marvel Studios thing, because they've gone for the Cinematic Universe which reflects the comics themselves. Characters have their own titles and they have crossovers and major event storylines that bundle everyone together. Adding characters expands the stories they can tell and introduces new things - a black pointedly African character, a sci fi story, etc etc. The nature of the beast is to expand the universe and bring in new characters.

I see the criticism of the 'wormhole in the sky' etc a lot but how many actually had that as a finale? Just going off Marvel themselves

Iron Man - No

Incredible Hulk - No

Iron Man 2 - No

Thor - No

Captain America TFA - No

Avengers - Yes

Iron Man 3 - No

Thor The Dark World - Just about Yes

Cap Winter Soldier - No

Guardians - Just about Yes

Age of Ultron - No

Ant-Man - No

Civil War - No

Dr Strange - Just about yes (but played very differently ultimately to the extent I'd probably argue it isn't).

4 in 14 movies? And some of those are being kind to the claim. Even if you add on other franchises it doesn't change that much.

Logan and Deadpool ended up being very different, and that's great and hopefully means we can see more exaggerated genre bending (something Marvel started themselves), but that doesn't mean everything else is the same story, unless we're very unkind and reduce everything to it's lowest point, in which case every action movie ever is the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

ourTyji.png

MIB2 was the weakest of the 3, but they're all great :) I've probably seen MIB3 more than the others combined.  I could play any role in it.  It's perfectly cast.  Great characters.  Boris the animal, Griffin, hell even Jeffrey Price "duh, time jump!".  Yes, you've just uncovered my guilty pleasure.

It's. Just. "Boris".

• Like 1

Get Out was a decent and entertaining enough film though dont really believe the hype that its receiving

Spoiler

the "twist" if you could call it that was quite easy to predict

Edited by blandy
Spoiler added

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Get Out was a decent and entertaining enough film though dont really believe the hype that its receiving

If your box is meant to be a spoiler, it's still appearing in full. 

I completely agree with the analysis. Nowhere near worth the hype and extremely predictable. 

Â