The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Had to go up to the big shhhhmoke this afternoon beauty and the beast was sold out today in most cinemas but I made a promise to the kids so went on a trip ......anyway I thought it was good 7/10 the atmosphere in the packed cinema was good as well 

Sony have announced a Venom movie. Seemingly will be a standalone film, so no connection to MCU or so on, which seems... Well, dumb. The suggestion is they would like their own Deadpool/Logan, so see Venom as the ideal character to use.

They aren't right.

A Venom movie without Spiderman or connection to a wider comic world is intensely stupid. It's a character invented as an inversion of a hero, who won't be in the movie...

Also would likely mean no Venom in the MCU :(

• Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 12:50, Ginko said:

I watched the trailer to Get Out a couple of times and had no idea if it was meant to be scary or funny.

I can't do films like that. Not that you can't have elements of each genre in a single film per se, but films that don't feel to me like they know what they're trying to be. I hated Kickass for a similar reason.

The premise for Get Out did intrigue me so I've read the entire plot. I'm not particularly regretting anything by doing so, I don't think it's my sort of film.

On 3/16/2017 at 13:02, Designer1 said:

After reading the reviews it seems that the movie definitely does have an exact idea of what it is, and what it's trying to achieve.

It also sounds as though it achieves this with a huge amount of originality.

That in itself, sells it to me. I can't wait.

Well, having just got back from watching this, it was . . . meh. 

The premise is great, fantastic even, but the problem is you can see how everyone involved was so busy feeling chuffed at the superb idea that they forgot to make much of a movie out of it. It's so straightforward.

• Like 1

I'm down south for a christening so went to the cinema last night, can't remember the last time I went to the cinema on a Saturday night, it was chaos, 4 showings of beauty and the beast between 7-9, non of them had 2 seats together, ended up getting the last 2 seats for kong

it was ok, the action was good enough, the cast is pretty good, it's a good looking film, it just has such bland writing, some of it really is paint by numbers stuff that's been don e hundreds of times before, it's riddled with cliches

still I'd say it's better than Godzilla, the military cliche stuff for some reason was more forgivable in Kong whereas for me it ruined the last part of Godzilla 

Just back from Get Out.

Really, really enjoyed it. Entertaining from start to finish and deserving of all the positive reviews.

Spotted quite a few influences in there even though it's a film with it's own identity. One in particular stood out...

Spoiler

The ending of Skeleton Key.

A few bits here and there were a little off and didn't work but nothing to ruin the enjoyment. In fact, the only scene which really made me groan due to it's daftness was...

Spoiler

The photographs in the box! I mean come on, she would have at least hidden them :)

But apart from that, very good.

Suburra - a decent Italian film (by the minds behind Romanzo Criminale, which is also very good) surrounding the corrupt dealings between politicians and criminals to see in a law to allow major development of a seaside resort. 

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Suburra - a decent Italian film (by the minds behind Romanzo Criminale, which is also very good)

Sollima also worked on the Gomorrah TV series too. Very good director.

• Like 1

A blast from the past, enjoyed Brassed Off tonight. Hadn't seen it before, Pete Postlethwaite is great though I always wonder what he's been in. Recognisable name, not so much his films or shows! But anyway, was good fun/ depressing, the precursor to the likes of The Full Monty and Pride. 

Edited by Rodders

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

A blast from the past, enjoyed Brassed Off tonight. Hadn't seen it before, Pete Postlethwaite is great though I always wonder what he's been in. Recognisable name, not so much his films or shows! But anyway, was good fun/ depressing, the precursor to the likes of The Full Monty and Pride. 

I love Brassed Off. I grew up playing in a brass band and they get the personalities in that world spot on. Great little film.

Finally watched Audition yesterday.

Spoiler

I think the torture scene didn't actually happen. There were so many altered states with reveries, dream sequences and the whole film within a film angle.

The IMDB forum was useful for this type of film. Has a popular alternative appeared since its demise?

Dark Tower poster

rg6g91wzv9my.jpg

Very Inception-esque, not quite sure why. Fans will already be aware that the story seems to revolve around the 'drawing' of the boy Jake from 'our' level of the Tower to Roland's - rather than the Gunslinger story where Jake is lost in Mid-World before being 'drawn' from our level. It will also deal with some of Roland's backstory, as Susan Delgado has been cast.

I'm fine with that (although would prefer a TV show version of Wizard and Glass to fully explore Roland's backstory, as it is terrific and ripe for adaptation), I'm fine with Idris Elba as Roland, and I'm very happy with McConaughey as 'The Man in Black' - but I still can't see how this will be any more than a 7/10 movie and will be utterly shocked if it is very good. At best I hope it leads to a Drawing of the Three / Wastelands movie which is much richer in story. Imagine a movie with set pieces including the Lobstrosities, the 'Speaking Ring', the introduction of Oy, the Shardik battle, Lud, and Blaine the Mono. Really whets the appetite.

8 hours ago, pooligan said:

Whistle Down The Wind (1961)  

One of the first films i can recall watching as a kid. Dated now of course but still a film i enjoy watching 

Yes Hayley Mills, Tiger bay too. The 60s is a golden age for British cinema I think. They were so many gritty kitchen sink films. Like  This sporting life, a taste of honey, Room at the top, look back in anger.

• Like 1

I wish they would stop making comic book movies, very much flogging a dead horse, accept that horse is made of millions of dollars.

Weve had 10 years of Marvel and there seems to be no end. With DCU films coming as well I am so bored of the genre, actors and ever extending cast of characters. 

TV adaptations are even worse. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I wish they would stop making comic book movies, very much flogging a dead horse, accept that horse is made of millions of dollars.

Weve had 10 years of Marvel and there seems to be no end. With DCU films coming as well I am so bored of the genre, actors and ever extending cast of characters. 

I think we've discussed this in here and the conclusion is that they'll stop when we stop going, and it doesn't look like we will any time soon.  So they're only giving 'us' (generic film going audience) what we seem to want.  Supply & demand innit?  As long as there are plenty of other fillums out there then meh.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

As long as there are plenty of other fillums out there then meh.

Is the correct answer.

Don't like them? bored with them? simple, don't watch them. There is a huge amount of other films from many other genres to invest in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Watch the multitudes of other movies and TV shows released every week.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Is the correct answer.

Don't like them? bored with them? simple, don't watch them. There is a huge amount of other films from many other genres to invest in.

The only thing I could say as devil's advocate to my own point, and it is unquantifiable, is that the money, effort and resources going into the comic book films is taking away from what would be getting made if those films weren't being made.  So they're replacing what would otherwise be getting made.  Although perhaps they're just pushing those other projects further down the line.  I dunno ...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

The only thing I could say as devil's advocate to my own point, and it is unquantifiable, is that the money, effort and resources going into the comic book films is taking away from what would be getting made if those films weren't being made.  So they're replacing what would otherwise be getting made.  Although perhaps they're just pushing those other projects further down the line.  I dunno ...

I understand the point but I have to go by my own experiences. For me I've seen no drop off in great movies since the Marvel / DC franchises began their new output. Like you say it's unquantifiable.

• Like 1

or does it make the film industry healthier overall?

think logan had a one liner at the end saying it'd supported 15k jobs in the industry, do fox take the profit it from it and pile it all in to xmen or does some of it find its way in to funding a fox searchlight film?

Â