The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 09/03/2017 at 21:01, Designer1 said:

To say the characters are wafer thin would be doing a disservice to wafers. Apart from John C Reilly (who at least gets a little bit of backstory) you literally do not give a flying **** about any of them because they are all so blandly drawn with only the slightest of characteristics.

It's amazing how glaringly obvious this point is, but how many films fail on it.

NOTHING in a film matters if you don't care about the characters. It's literally top of the list of things to get right.

• Like 1

The irony with Kong is that you would assume the studio was aware of this and tried to do something about it by getting the director they did. For such a large budget film it's amazing that they put so much trust in a guy whose only previous film was the marvelous Kings of Summer where he crafted a cracking little film with great characters.

By all accounts it seems he's nailed the effects and blockbuster elements of the film but failed on the cast and character elements which is pretty much the opposite of what you would expect.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Just back from Logan. It's pretty decent. Just read back the comments on here re it and agree the scene where it went slightly downhill. 

Spoiler

Didn't need weapon x24 to be HJ, I thought that he was meant to be a mix of mutants and not just wolverine.

Also disappointed that I sat through all the credits and nothing happened. Thought it would be the claw being poked through the rocks as we know HJ has another wolverine film to go.

17 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Just watched No Escape on Netflix with Owen Wilson and Pierce Brosnan not expecting much but it's actually an incredibly gripping thriller.  Some of it was more terrifying than any horror film.

I thought it average at best.

MV5BMTkzODMwNDkzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDA4

Really solid psychological drama. Logan Marshall Green playing a similar paranoid and broken character to the one he portrays in Quarry.

Can't really say too much as it's definitely a movie which works better if you go in completely dry (K.Williams.gif)

Keep an eye out for the very last shot. Kind of took me by surprise in a good way :)

• Like 1

Logan

if it was as good as the trailer I'd have been happy alas it didn't fulfill the promise ... it does still win best standalone  Wolverine film but then it didn't really have a lot of competition .

I'm kinda worried that the x -men franchise is now going to reboot based around the young girl and we go again... let's hope not 

deadpool trailer when everyone thought the film had started looked promising , more of the first film by the looks of it :)

Looking forward to seeing this at the weekend:

PH2IYvYgQy0j63_1_l.jpg

Getting some very positive reviews

Critics Consensus: Funny, scary, and thought-provoking, Get Out seamlessly weaves its trenchant social critiques into a brilliantly effective and entertaining horror/comedy thrill ride.

I watched the trailer to Get Out a couple of times and had no idea if it was meant to be scary or funny.

I can't do films like that. Not that you can't have elements of each genre in a single film per se, but films that don't feel to me like they know what they're trying to be. I hated Kickass for a similar reason.

The premise for Get Out did intrigue me so I've read the entire plot. I'm not particularly regretting anything by doing so, I don't think it's my sort of film.

After reading the reviews it seems that the movie definitely does have an exact idea of what it is, and what it's trying to achieve.

It also sounds as though it achieves this with a huge amount of originality.

That in itself, sells it to me. I can't wait.

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

After reading the reviews it seems that the movie definitely does have an exact idea of what it is, and what it's trying to achieve.

It also sounds as though it achieves this with a huge amount of originality.

That in itself, sells it to me. I can't wait.

Key and Peele's sketch show is very good and they do tend to think outside of the box .

Keanu was actually far better than it deserved to be as well. 

Peele has talent. (Key is the better actor mind you )

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Ginko said:

I watched the trailer to Get Out a couple of times and had no idea if it was meant to be scary or funny.

I can't do films like that.

Man Bites Dog?

• Like 1

Never seen it.

I realise people like these films, I just find them jarring and I can't get sucked in by the story because of that.

Super was another film I couldn't get into. That film's tone shifts pretty dramatically towards the final act and I found myself wondering if they'd switched directors halfway through.

18 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I really like the look of Get Out, but Key and Peele's sketch show is horrendous (no offence).

Won an Emmy .!!! It's head and shoulders above most American sketch shows.  I think it's one of the most intelligent sketch shows ever made. 

3 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Won an Emmy .!!! It's head and shoulders above most American sketch shows.  I think it's one of the most intelligent sketch shows ever made. 

Maybe I've just watched bad sketches then :thumb: 

3 hours ago, Ginko said:

Never seen it.

I realise people like these films, I just find them jarring and I can't get sucked in by the story because of that.

Super was another film I couldn't get into. That film's tone shifts pretty dramatically towards the final act and I found myself wondering if they'd switched directors halfway through.

I loved Super. Thought it was brilliant. 

Watched The Invitation yesterday as recommended in this thread. Very good. 7.5/10

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

IWatched The Invitation yesterday as recommended in this thread. Very good. 7.5/10

You're welcome :)

Spoiler

So, that last shot with all the lights going on? How **** great was that? took me a minute to work out that the same thing was happening all over. Very good ending.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Â