The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I've been looking forward to Ghost in the Shell despite knowing nothing about it for a while. Entirely because it looks great, has Scarlett in it, and is cyberpunk. Basically with those boxes ticked unless it's truly a complete stinker I'll at worst enjoy it.

Seeing at it at the IMAX at the weekend.

I was surprised how much practical effects work is in it. Scarlett's suit and the geisha robots are at largely practical despite looking very CGI.

9 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yep. Never has a piece of tape on a window been so creepy. 

Each to their own eh.

It was creepy don't get me wrong and it had an horrible vibe  to it which made me uneasy as I walked up the stairs with the lights off, but I don't know, I just think I was expecting more. i actually felt a moment of dread once that last couple left and she was on her own in that apartment. 

27 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It was creepy don't get me wrong and it had an horrible vibe  to it which made me uneasy as I walked up the stairs with the lights off, but I don't know, I just think I was expecting more. i actually felt a moment of dread once that last couple left and she was on her own in that apartment. 

I thought it blended the political aspect of life during wartime very well with the foreboding horror. It was brilliantly acted too, such naturalistic performances. I found it hard to fault to be honest.

I have quite enjoyed the majority of Marvel movies.

Once they make a proper Silver Surfer movie though, that will do for me.

So the museum near work was back with another film in their Hypnotica season last night: Don't Look Now.

I'm sure im going to get slammed for this by @Designer1 and some of you others who know far more about classic films than I do, but I thought it was largely cack.

I followed it, just about. It was quite confusing in parts and I put that down to a poorly written story and bad editing, but I just thought it was silly and boring. So many parts are just plain daft and randomly appear with no previous alluding to, specifically the very end reveal which is just bonkers.

I left the cinema bored, disappointed, slightly amused but not in a good way and also thinking the film was an excuse for the crew to have a three month jolly in Venice. In fact, the footage of Venice was the only thing I enjoyed about it. They captured it well, but there were at least three sequences of them getting lost there and each one was far too long.

Also, why is it called Don't Look Now? Terrible title and the only way I can even slightly relate it to the film is cheesy.

So yeah, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Edited by Ginko

14 hours ago, hogso said:

**** yes. 

Mike haunted by victims of the Black Spot fire in there? Sure looked that way. Looking way better than The Dark Tower. 

This looks great.

I was a huge fan of the book when I read it, although time has meant I don't actually remember too much about it. 
But I remember when reading it that I imagined it would be very difficult to effectively turn IT into a movie. Maybe that's why it's taken so long for someone to do it (I know there was a mini series).

From what I remember, a lot of the book takes place interdimensionally and also in the minds of the children so I'm intrigued by how they'll translate that to the screen.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

a lot of the book takes place interdimensionally

and also in the minds of the children

Well, yes and no. There is a very siginificant part of the novel that takes place 'interdimensionally', but by no means a lot of it. If they put it in to the film as it is on the page it wouldn't work at all. Reason being, it's a stretch in the novel, with King doing his typical trick of writing himself in to a corner in regards to It's origin/true identity. It's kinda dumb in the book, to be honest. It would be close to ludicrous on the screen. Although, I have read that the Turtle / Maturin is in it, and Bill does see the Deadlights (the interdimensional bit), but that was suggested by people who spoke after seeing test screenings, so they could have been bullshitting, or they could change it.

In regards to parts being in the childrens minds - again, yes and no. It's established time and again that the actions of It are noticed by the Derry townfolk to only a certain extent - weird things happen in Derry and people just kinda shrug their shoulders. More specifically, actual physical 'evidence' of It is only seen by The Loser's Club, adults are apparently 'swithed off' to it, although that's not fully explored. It's most likely that It does leave traces of itself/it's actions behind, but with a glammer of some sort, makes it so only certain people can see them - his intended victims, specifically. Despite the discoveries of dismembered bodies of kids, that is...

There's so much I could say that I would want to see in Part 1, and so much that I don't want to see. I want to see the apocalyptic rockfight. I don't want to see Patrick wanking off Henry. I do want to see It's manipulation of Henry. I don't want to see that scene. I do want to see the Leper and the Black Spot backstory (both apparently confirmed in the trailer!). I don't really want to see Mike's giant bird. I'd also love to see some nods to other King work, and definitely to the Dark Tower.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Well, yes and no. There is a very siginificant part of the novel that takes place 'interdimensionally', but by no means a lot of it. If they put it in to the film as it is on the page it wouldn't work at all. Reason being, it's a stretch in the novel, with King doing his typical trick of writing himself in to a corner in regards to It's origin/true identity. It's kinda dumb in the book, to be honest. It would be close to ludicrous on the screen. Although, I have read that the Turtle / Maturin is in it, and Bill does see the Deadlights (the interdimensional bit), but that was suggested by people who spoke after seeing test screenings, so they could have been bullshitting, or they could change it.

In regards to parts being in the childrens minds - again, yes and no. It's established time and again that the actions of It are noticed by the Derry townfolk to only a certain extent - weird things happen in Derry and people just kinda shrug their shoulders. More specifically, actual physical 'evidence' of It is only seen by The Loser's Club, adults are apparently 'swithed off' to it, although that's not fully explored. It's most likely that It does leave traces of itself/it's actions behind, but with a glammer of some sort, makes it so only certain people can see them - his intended victims, specifically. Despite the discoveries of dismembered bodies of kids, that is...

There's so much I could say that I would want to see in Part 1, and so much that I don't want to see. I want to see the apocalyptic rockfight. I don't want to see Patrick wanking off Henry. I do want to see It's manipulation of Henry. I don't want to see that scene. I do want to see the Leper and the Black Spot backstory (both apparently confirmed in the trailer!). I don't really want to see Mike's giant bird. I'd also love to see some nods to other King work, and definitely to the Dark Tower.

It's too long ago since I read it, i can't remember too much.

I do remember one bit that I'm assuming definitely won't be in there though...

Hmm, that is one film I will be missing quite happily. **** clowns. 

I was 12 when I read IT and it creeped the crap out of me. Can't really claim to have fully read it, as at one point I got so unnerved I chucked it on a fire. :D 

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Action-Figures_3418545b.jpg

I'd say I'm quite up on my wrestlers, both historic and current. I haven't got a clue who that is in the middle. Magnus? It looks like a J or T or his knee straps though...if it's AJ Styles, it's a really shite figure. Where are @villaajax and @Ingram85 when you need them?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Fingers crossed. Will be watching What We Do In The Shadows if it is :) 

Completely different films IMO. Wilderpeople is just a good watch. It knows what it's doing. Doesn't try too hard.

What We Do In The Shadows is a hugely funny comedy with Conchords style dry humour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

I'd say I'm quite up on my wrestlers, both historic and current. I haven't got a clue who that is in the middle. Magnus? It looks like a J or T or his knee straps though...if it's AJ Styles, it's a really shite figure. Where are @villaajax and @Ingram85 when you need them?

That is the welsh ex TNA wrestler, Rob Terry otherwise known as The Freak. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

That is the welsh ex TNA wrestler, Rob Terry otherwise known as The Freak. 

Is he called "The Freak" because of him having his ass the wrong way round?

That doll looks a bit weird :) 

• Like 1

Â