The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

8 hours ago, BOF said:

Following on from my 'there are no good films any more' discussion from earlier, I've managed to get my hands on 'Bad Day at Black Rock' (1955) which I am regularly being urged to watch.  So I'll settle down to that in the near future.

A really, really good film.

• Like 2

I enjoyed Skull Island, not a masterpiece but an entertaining 2 hours. Effects were good and some fun action set-pieces.

Only problem is Samuel L Jackson who I havent really liked in a movie for about 10 years

I doubt I'll see Kong, but I saw the trailer before Logan and thought it was pretty good. I liked the editing of the cuts so the sound effects synced up with the music and I thought the jokes were quite well timed.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the movie kinda sucked though. I doubt I'll be seeing it.

Edited by Ginko

Really enjoyed Skull Island. Ended up seeing it in that 4DX, had never seen one like that before and it was pretty cool. Leave your brain at the door type film, don't go in expecting a classic with depth. If you just want to see a monster movie, it's a good one IMO

End credits scene too, for those interested in that kind of thing. 

Edited by kurtsimonw

Was listening to an album (Power Trip - Manifest Decimation) on which one of the songs has a monologue from a movie in the intro.

I recognized it but had to look it up where it was from. Turns out it was from "Blood Simple",Think it might be the first Coen Brothers movie?

Had not seen it in ages but boy is it good. Really like it, and Emmet Walsh is great as always.

Those who like Fargo will like this one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Only problem is Samuel L Jackson who I havent really liked in a movie for about 10 years

Not even in Django Unchained?

• Like 1

A film that is really worth a watch is 'Catch me Daddy'. A British film set in Yorkshire where a girl from Pakistan runs off and elopes with a white boy. A film about family honour and betrayal. Brilliant performance by the lead girl.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

A film that is really worth a watch is 'Catch me Daddy'. A British film set in Yorkshire where a girl from Pakistan runs off and elopes with a white boy. A film about family honour and betrayal. Brilliant performance by the lead girl.

Yeah I recommended it on here a while ago.

Incredibly powerful ending.

• Like 1

Enjoyed Kong for what it is. It's like the absolute epitome of what some people think summer blockbusters are, special effects hanging off paper thin frameworks. The plot is an excuse to make a Kong movie in a Marvel world. The characters are, barring two exceptions, entirely undeveloped, it's a series of set pieces interspersed with gags and set up for the next set piece. It toys with some cool ideas (Vietnam interpreted as a monster movie mostly) but it's hampered by the Metaphor Sledgehammer. This movie slams it's few ideas as hard as it can at you every chance it gets. Kong may as well force a neon sign saying 'REMEMBER 'NAM?!' through your forehead for how subtle it is. It also has some hilariously A Level film studies bits. There's one so on the nose is both brilliant and shit at the same time - early on we get a scene transition that has the camera track helicopters, shooting through the trees, and then we change focus and we see a dragonfly follow the same track in the foreground. I wonder what the subtext there is?! That theme continues through the soundtrack - it's absolutely brilliant, and every single second is an ever increasing cliché.

But beyond that, and an arguably miscast Hiddleston, it's fun. It's stupid, but not offensively so, it has some fun action, it has a nicely grim sensibility with offing characters, it's brilliant to look at and for crap and thin the plot is, it does do some nice universe building.

Worth 2 hours of your time but bear in mind it's not winning any awards.

• Like 2

Saw kong with my son and his mate yesterday , they seemed to enjoy it so I guess 12 is about the range it will fully appeal to ...

i thought as Chindie said it was an enjoyable enough way to spend 2 hours but I couldn't get Wreck it Ralph out my head every time Reilly spoke .

10 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

He really doesn't fit the back story they gave him, at all.

He really, really doesn't. I really like Hiddleston, but you don't can't look at him and think ex-SAS. You could buy him as a suave spy, maybe, but someone supposed to have seen jungle combat and hardened grizzled veteran? Nope. The only time you have any feeling he is someone with training and skills is his introduction. After that... Nope.

I'm not even sure why he's in the movie. He doesn't do anything. They even give him a 'bad ass' action scene and that feels tacked on. You can't even say he's bad in the role. It's just the wrong role for him.

Yep, I love the guy as Loki, but a tough guy he is not. Not sure why they even called him ex-SAS, just call him a scientist or explorer of some kind! Definitely agree about that scene. Did they get Zack Snyder in just for that?

36 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Just watched No Escape on Netflix with Owen Wilson and Pierce Brosnan not expecting much but it's actually an incredibly gripping thriller.  Some of it was more terrifying than any horror film.

The rooftop scene is particularly a heart in mouth moment! 

• Like 1

Â