The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched a great little film called Cold in July last night with that chap from dexter and Don Johnson. 

Bloke accidentally shoots a burglar and then it unfolds from there. Really good. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Watched a great little film called Cold in July last night with that chap from dexter and Don Johnson. 

Bloke accidentally shoots a burglar and then it unfolds from there. Really good. 

Decent enough but I thought it lost it's way in the final third.

Tonnes of nods to early Carpenter though, which is never a bad thing.

I watched 5 films on Saturday:

Supersonic - Oasis documentary. Great fun. The nineties were **** brilliant

The Edge of Seventeen - coming of age film done right. Female protagonist battling with being a loner and losing her father during highschool. Very much a feelgood film

Hail, Caesar - wanted to like it more than I did. Brilliantly made as usual from the Coens and had lots of great moments (For what that it were so simple), but ultimately didn't hold my attention as much as I'd liked. I was battling through it at the end, although being on the end of a solid 3 film marathon probably didn't help.

School of Rock - just watched this because it was on. Love this movie. Nothing high brow or revolutionary, just good fun. One of Jack Black's better efforts.

This is England - nothing to say really. Stone cold classic, even on the 6th or 7th viewing. Brilliant.

I intended to watch Dead Man's Shoes after TIE as it was on the telly straight after, but I couldn't face another film at that time. Save that for another day

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

School of Rock - just watched this because it was on. Love this movie. Nothing high brow or revolutionary, just good fun. One of Jack Black's better efforts.

I can't watch it.  He's just too Jack Blackie in it.  I can normally only take him in small doses.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

I can't watch it.  He's just too Jack Blackie in it.  I can normally only take him in small doses.

I think that's why I like it. I imagine it's exactly how he writes songs for tenacious D

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I intended to watch Dead Man's Shoes after TIE as it was on the telly straight after, but I couldn't face another film at that time. Save that for another day

Have you actually seen it before? If not, you need to get...on...it...NOW! :)

• Like 3

Just now, Designer1 said:

Have you actually seen it before? If not, you need to get...on...it...NOW! :)

Nope. I honestly intended to watch it. But 5 films in a row, and past 11pm at night meant I just couldn't face it. 

it's on my hard drive ready to be watched, next on the list :)

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope. I honestly intended to watch it. But 5 films in a row, and past 11pm at night meant I just couldn't face it. 

it's on my hard drive ready to be watched, next on the list :)

Up there with my favourite movies of all time.

• Like 1

I think @Stevo985 was right not to watch it after a marathon, as he wouldn't have got the most out of it.  It's a superb film.  One of my favourites too.  Best watched when you're ready to give it the full attention it deserves.

But do get on it quickly man :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Supersonic - Oasis documentary. Great fun. The nineties were **** brilliant

Keep meaning to watch this. 

people moan about too many comic book films but never mentioned that in last few years that Hollywood has produced similar enough sci-fi films in last 5 years. Not all are bad but nothing classic out of Interstellar, Prometheus, Life, The Martian, Arrival, new Alien, Gravity, Passengers

all seem to copy/steal from each other

On 3/24/2017 at 22:31, kurtsimonw said:

Power Rangers was worth it just for the little moments that reminded me of my childhood. 

I am still not sure if I liked it or not. Rangers were OK and Rita was good but Zordon came across as a bit of a dick. so disappointed with Goldar though :P

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

people moan about too many comic book films but never mentioned that in last few years that Hollywood has produced similar enough sci-fi films in last 5 years. Not all are bad but nothing classic out of Interstellar, Prometheus, Life, The Martian, Arrival, new Alien, Gravity, Passengers

all seem to copy/steal from each other

Interstellar is very good and Arrival is absolutely excellent.

Lumping them in with Prometheus and Passengers is plain insulting tbh.

Â