The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

If your box is meant to be a spoiler, it's still appearing in full. 

I completely agree with the analysis. Nowhere near worth the hype and extremely predictable. 

oops :blush:

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Saw Brett rather moaning that people didn't go watch BvS because of rotten tomatoes :lol: 

nothing to do with it being shit mate

His criticism is BS, because rotten tomatoes ratings have no correlation to box office results.

He's just pissed because, the sometime the stark contrast between the critics rating and the user ratings highlight where good reviews have bought. 

On 23/03/2017 at 20:51, sharkyvilla said:

Still think it's a massive shame they brought back Batman so soon after the Nolan series.  Using White Stripes to sell it as well is a shame.  A few more doughnuts for Zorro.

Absolutely this, and one of the problems I have with superhero films. Reboot or reinvent characters so often it all becomes diluted and confusing.

Nolan batman was excellent. Now it feels like the character is ruined again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Absolutely this, and one of the problems I have with superhero films. Reboot or reinvent characters so often it all becomes diluted and confusing.

Nolan batman was excellent. Now it feels like the character is ruined again.

This is only really true of 2 characters. There have been 5 'Batmen' in 30 years (ignoring Adam West). And only 2 of those are really in the 'reboot era', Nolan's and Snyder's, and they are very different (the latter closer to a version of the source, the grim Miller version, the former isn't really like the source at all).

There's been 3 'Spidermen' in 17 years, and 2 reboots, which is pushing it but the Raimi trilogy finished 10 years ago and the 'Amazing' reboot struggled, and he's now in the MCU and it looks like they finally got the character bang on. I can accept those reboots to get there.

Otherwise it's just not true. Yes we've had 2 Fantastic Four's but nobody cares. What else has been rebooted so much? 3 Supermen in what, 40 years? Nah.

And Batman doesn't need to be Nolan's take forever to avoid being 'ruined'. I really love the Dark Knight, but I don't need every Batman movie to avoid the source so much for the foreseeable. I'd much rather see a very straight adaptation of the source. Burton got some of the look, but went down his own avenues, the Schumacher stuff is too camp (and eventually shit), Nolan's is grounded but avoids much that makes Batman Batman (arguably it's nearly Batman in name only), Snyder's gets more comic book accurate with how he acts and what he does but leans too hard on DKR grimness. In the middle of all that there's something very close to the Batman on my shelf and in my head, but nobody has quite got there yet. Hopefully the next solo movie, increasingly looking to be coming 6 to 7 years after the last solo Batman, will manage it.

Batman is one of those characters that can never be ruined for me. He's been going so long and reinvented myriad times that one bad conception of the character won't do any harm. Besides, Affleck was the best thing about that movie, though Batman mercilessly butchering bad guys with machine guns is totally against one of the character's main staples.

West's camp rendition of Batman lives on in infamy, but it's not like I thought about it for one second whilst watching the Nolan films. Likewise I won't let Zack Snyder's daft interpretation ruin them or indeed any other version of Batman I love.

Caveat - Snyder famously makes very good trailers. I don't think that looks that good.

I also can't escape the fact that every single one of the characters doesn't look right, and they don't fit together very well (arguably never have IMO, the Justice League has always been a little dumber than the Avengers, despite coming first).

It has also been described in post production as a mess that they can salvage so...

:unsure:

Looks like a trailer for a video game adaptation rather than the movie.

So many characters and yet so oddly characterless.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Well it certainly looks dark, blue tinted and shiny.

Cute to see Bruce Wayne borrowed Han Solo's look from Empire Strikes Back, but opted for a horse rather than a Tauntaun.

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

:unsure:

Looks like a trailer for a video game adaptation rather than the movie.

So many characters and yet so oddly characterless.

It's odd. We established a (grim) character for Wayne in BvS, and a movie later he's Jack Dee. Wonder Woman has no character, but appears to be a lead. Cyborg has no character (which is to from being a boring character I guess on the page...). Flash is just a wisecrack machine. Aquaman appears to be the only standout character there and they've just made him a jock.

I dunno. I guess it looks pretty good? But Snyder's films always do.

You look at the lineup and it just looks wrong somehow.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

This is only really true of 2 characters. There have been 5 'Batmen' in 30 years (ignoring Adam West). And only 2 of those are really in the 'reboot era', Nolan's and Snyder's, and they are very different (the latter closer to a version of the source, the grim Miller version, the former isn't really like the source at all).

There's been 3 'Spidermen' in 17 years, and 2 reboots, which is pushing it but the Raimi trilogy finished 10 years ago and the 'Amazing' reboot struggled, and he's now in the MCU and it looks like they finally got the character bang on. I can accept those reboots to get there.

Otherwise it's just not true. Yes we've had 2 Fantastic Four's but nobody cares. What else has been rebooted so much? 3 Supermen in what, 40 years? Nah.

And Batman doesn't need to be Nolan's take forever to avoid being 'ruined'. I really love the Dark Knight, but I don't need every Batman movie to avoid the source so much for the foreseeable. I'd much rather see a very straight adaptation of the source. Burton got some of the look, but went down his own avenues, the Schumacher stuff is too camp (and eventually shit), Nolan's is grounded but avoids much that makes Batman Batman (arguably it's nearly Batman in name only), Snyder's gets more comic book accurate with how he acts and what he does but leans too hard on DKR grimness. In the middle of all that there's something very close to the Batman on my shelf and in my head, but nobody has quite got there yet. Hopefully the next solo movie, increasingly looking to be coming 6 to 7 years after the last solo Batman, will manage it.

Meh, I'll defer to you superior comic book knowledge.

To a less than casual observer of the genre there seems to be dozens of movies with characters used all over the place. Xmen here, batman there, spiderman in this one, Ironman in that one, Wolverine in this one but not in that one, stick the Hulk in that one.
Some of them are great, some of them are awful. Sometimes the characters seem awesome then next minute they're in a new film and they're different.

Example from your post directly above:

"We established a (grim) character for Wayne in BvS, and a movie later he's Jack Dee"

I'm sure it all makes sense to an avid follower. To me it just adds to the mass of mediocrity that makes the really good ones stand out a mile.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Meh, I'll defer to you superior comic book knowledge.

To a less than casual observer of the genre there seems to be dozens of movies with characters used all over the place. Xmen here, batman there, spiderman in this one, Ironman in that one, Wolverine in this one but not in that one, stick the Hulk in that one.
Some of them are great, some of them are awful. Sometimes the characters seem awesome then next minute they're in a new film and they're different.

Example from your post directly above:

"We established a (grim) character for Wayne in BvS, and a movie later he's Jack Dee"

I'm sure it all makes sense to an avid follower. To me it just adds to the mass of mediocrity that makes the really good ones stand out a mile.

I'm not sure about your first point at all. There's different franchises and they use the characters as they see fit, and outside of the franchises they don't cross over. MCU (Avengers, Guardians), DCEU (Justice League. Suicide Squad), Fox (XMen, Fantastic Four), Sony (Spiderman, part shared with the MCU). Certainly for the Fox and MCU franchises the characters haven't changed much or have done so organically (Stark mostly). Fox have even got away with melding a full retcon into the series with 2 timelines and kept the characters consistent. The stories each studio chooses to tell and the characters they use is up to them.

It's only really the DCEU that seems to have a problem with consistency and that is mostly due to them **** up, hence the comment on the new Batman having a sudden change in tone within a movie.

18 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Enjoyed Life today. Better than I expected it to be. 

Spoiler

I liked the twist at the end. I thought it was predictable until then and I completely fell for it.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Enjoyed Life today. Better than I expected it to be. 

Nice to hear, all too easy to get depressed after a season like this ;)

One day at a time... 

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Isn't Superman part of the Justice League? Or am I being simple?

He is. The Justice League is traditionally Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman. Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and the Flash. They've binned MM and replaced him with Cyborg, who nobody likes outside DC Towers, because the writers dislike MM, and they have been unsure what to do with Green Lantern (put your money on a cameo in Justice League to introduce him in time for Green Lantern Corps. Which Green Lantern, who knows).

Major Batman v Superman spoiler...

Spoiler

Superman isn't in this initially as he's 'dead'. He will be in it though, in the black suit he wore after he died on the comics, but probably without the mullet...

• Like 1

Just watched Warcraft: the beginning.... A bit of a mess if truth be told and strange that it was at the hands of Duncan Jones who I like as a director. 

Can't knock the effects, costumes etc but the plot didn't really click and the attempts to inject humour to lighten it failed. 

Not saying I hated it, I fairly enjoyed it but it was a let down considering the source material available. 

Whilst it wax titled the beginning, i assume it's also the end as I can't imagine a sequel(s) will be greenlit (no pun intended on the fell)

The curse of the movie/computer game crossover strikes again! 

Â