The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Also seems that Sony intend to take all the Spider-man rights they have and spin then out into their own universe unrelated to the MCU, with darker more adult tone (I.e. cash in on the Deadpool/Logan thing).

I struggle to comprehend how stupid this is. Spider-man has a great rogues gallery, but few of them will stand on their own. Venom has done over the years but inevitably he comes back to Spider-man, and his entire origin is based around that character.

And who is going to watch a Black b Cat movie?!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Looking forward to this weekend.

i have blood orange and the greasy strangler to watch :) 

I adore the Greasy Strangler :D

I've had a couple of nice messages from the writer and from Andrew Hung who did the brilliantly bizarre soundtrack.

• Like 1

The new Jumanji movie starring Dwayne "Rocky 'The Rock' Maivia" Johnson has the subtitle Welcome to the Jungle, and will feature a magical video game rather than a board game. Heh. I'm not really sure why they didn't just take the concept of the original and Zathura, and call it something else. Well, actually, I do, they're cashing in on the popular Jumanji name. Whereas Zathura (very nearly as good as Jumanji) isn't quite as well known I don't think, and certainly doesn't carry the box office clout. Although it could have been marketed as X: the sequel to Jumanji...

The set up and subtitle sound kinda lame, but it's hardly a surprise that they've updated the premise to be a video game.

Life last night

good film if not exactly the most original film you'll see this year , more focus on camerawork and cast than plot but they pull it off unlike say Prometheus

critics don't seem to like it , but it's definitely one of the better films out there and it doesn't involve a wormhole :P

The woman next to me kept jumping a lot to the point she even started holding my hand at one part of the film :) her excuse afterwards that as the only 2 seats left were separated her friend was a few rows back and usually she would grab her friends hand during "scary" films  ... I like to think she just couldn't resist me and the "friend" was just her cover story 

• Like 3

Yeah I'm the same love ballers

hes been in some really bad films, I'd probably say the other guys is my favourite, central intelligence had its moments, so did pain gain and he's in some decent 7/10 hard man films like walking tall and welcome to the jungle but after that...Hercules, San Andreas, fast and furious, scorpion king...all of them made money

• Like 1

He's an odd one for me.

I really, really like the guy. Always comes across well in interviews and is supposed to be great to work with, but after looking at his IMDB page i'm struggling to find any really stand out movies.

I enjoyed the remake of Walking Tall, and Welcome to the Jungle was a decent action movie but apart from that he's largely made either forgettable or awful pap.

I thought after he was cast in Southland Tales (how the mind behind D.Darko created that abortion I have no idea) that he might choose some more diverse roles but that never materialised.

• Like 1

Similar. I do quite fancy watching San Andreas mind at some point but that's because I am inexplicably drawn to crap disaster movies. I've enjoyed The Day After Tomorrow and The Core 

His cameo in The Other Guys is very good though - which was a decent film where Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg are BOTH good in it too :o 

MV5BMTQ4NjQzMjQxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTEz

You're all right of course, the guys draw at the box office is outrageous. Look at Race to Witch Mountain as a great example, and one I actually did see at the flicks for some reason. Completely ordinary in every possible way. Grossed over $100m.

Edited by hogso

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

He's an odd one for me.

I really, really like the guy. Always comes across well in interviews and is supposed to be great to work with, but after looking at his IMDB page i'm struggling to find any really stand out movies.

I enjoyed the remake of Walking Tall, and Welcome to the Jungle was a decent action movie but apart from that he's largely made either forgettable or awful pap.

I thought after he was cast in Southland Tales (how the mind behind D.Darko created that abortion I have no idea) that he might choose some more diverse roles but that never materialised.

He's just the new Schwarzenegger really. He's a big, muscular, good looking bloke so at this point he's getting all those kinds of roles.

I think he's probably capable of better roles and I reckon he'll get there eventually. but at the moment he's pure box office

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

He's just the new Schwarzenegger really. He's a big, muscular, good looking bloke so at this point he's getting all those kinds of roles.

I think he's probably capable of better roles and I reckon he'll get there eventually. but at the moment he's pure box office

Arnie has made some stone cold classics though. Let's hope Dwayne manages to star in something as iconic as The Terminator or Conan in his career :thumb:

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Arnie has made some stone cold classics though. Let's hope Dwayne manages to star in something as iconic as The Terminator or Conan in his career :thumb:

Yeah that's kind of what I meant, although I didn't articulate it all that well.

he doesn't have those classics but those are the kind of roles he's getting cast in. Big, muscly, action hero like a number before him (see also: Vin Diesel)

I think he's capable of adding those classics to his CV, and I think he's more capable than either Arnie or Diesel to become more than just an action hero.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

When I see Stevo as the last person to post in this thread I'm straight in wondering if he has come to tell us how he got on watching Dead Man's Shoes :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

When I see Stevo as the last person to post in this thread I'm straight in wondering if he has come to tell us how he got on watching Dead Man's Shoes :)

Sorry, probably won't be until Sunday night at least. I'll be straight in here to tell you all how I enjoyed it (or didn't...)

As I'm quoting an Irishman, anyone seen "The Young Offenders"?
That one's on my list too. Set and shot in my beloved west cork so dying to see it.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Sorry, probably won't be until Sunday night at least. I'll be straight in here to tell you all how I enjoyed it (or didn't...)

Confidently say that won't happen. I'll also say that it's a film that gets even better with repeat viewing just to take in some of the subtleties of the performances (particularly Considine and Kebbell) 

I've probably watched it 20+ times :D

As for Young Offenders - that's on my list for the next couple of weeks, it looks great.

• Like 1

I watched this last night:

91fmvOm9mSL._SY445_.jpg

It's a decent enough horror movie, very streamlined and stripped back story with pulpy dialogue.

The cinematography is excellent for such a low-key production and who doesn't want to see Davos Seaworth as a brooding embodiment of vengeance? :)

Unfortunately as with a lot of horror it loses it's way in the final third, but it's certainly not a bad addition to the genre.

• Like 1

Â