The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

There's an exact moment in Logan where the quality drops. I'd wager a lot of people will notice the same moment.

It's irritating because before that is so bloody good. It's still good after. But that first hour or so... Great. It's not like any other comic book movie. 

It's also good to finally see a Wolverine movie that gets his brutality. You see the damage Logan can do, and it's grim. The camera didn't linger on it, but it's there. Perhaps too much - by the end his fighting style has gotten quite stale and you'll be tiring of Huge Action going 'grrrAaaaaaarghhhhhhh!' over and over, but it's still great.

Go watch it.

Lego Batman - 3. I loved the Lego movie, but this just tried to hard to be funny and it really wasn't. Had the odd good line, but mostly a boring and unfunny film.

The Great Wall - 5. Just your average generic action film for me. 

Logan - 8. Pretty much echo what @Chindie said above. Mostly a very good movie, but has it's flaws. On a personal level I loved it and really, really pleased with what they did.

I applaud the bravery of anyone who would even attempt to watch The Great Wall.  I'm having an on-going discussion/argument/piss-take with the old man who firmly believes they stopped making good movies around 1972.  Trailers like TGW don't help my case.

This one might be a stretch for some (I'm not sure many Nepalese un-subtitled films about two boys hunting for a hen while trying to avoid being killed by communists will have been recommended in here before now) but this was a really beautiful film.

51jhVvDFDKL._SY445__zpsv1f8vegi.jpg

• Like 1

Seen a couple the past week or so

David Brent Life on the road - As someone whose only seen about 12 minutes of The office , I'm not really sure why I watched this but , hey it was Ok , I've seen worse

Furnace - Some big names in this and the story has kinda been done before , but well acted and a nice slow burner   - recommended

A Prophet - nowhere near as funny as Porridge just goes to show that remakes are never as funny as the originals and should be left alone  .... Ok , seriously , again , it was a film that you kinda feel you've seen before , but watching Malik's journey as a result of the system that is supposed to be rehabilitating him was never boring despite it being a relatively long film ... again  recommended  (even though most of you have probably already seen it about  6 years ago !!)

2 hours ago, choffer said:

This one might be a stretch for some (I'm not sure many Nepalese un-subtitled films about two boys hunting for a hen while trying to avoid being killed by communists will have been recommended in here before now) but this was a really beautiful film.

51jhVvDFDKL._SY445__zpsv1f8vegi.jpg

Added that to my list, cheers @choffer :thumb:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BOF said:

I applaud the bravery of anyone who would even attempt to watch The Great Wall.  I'm having an on-going discussion/argument/piss-take with the old man who firmly believes they stopped making good movies around 1972.  Trailers like TGW don't help my case.

I go and see 3 films with my brother every now and then. Was the only thing we could fit between the Lego Batman and Logan showings. 

So he think Alien, Die Hard and Lord of the Rings aren't even "good"!?

Though maybe it's a generation thing. I could probably count the number of pre 1972 movies I've enjoyed, not featuring James Bond, on my fingers. 

22 hours ago, BOF said:

I don't know about the 1972 cut-off but someone once said that if all colour films were lost and we just kept the b&w, we would still have the vast majority of the greatest films ever made.

I find it hard to disagree.

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

someone once said that if all colour films were lost and we just kept the b&w, we would still have the vast majority of the greatest films ever made.

I find it hard to disagree.

I think that's probably closer to what he's getting at. 

Older person in 'Back in my day everything was way better' shock.

It's not rocket science yet people seem to be so stubborn about this whole thing. The stuff you grew up with is the stuff that helped make you the person you are today.

You will always think of those things as 'yours' and have a great deal of sentimental value for them, as you will with more modern things that affect you on a deeper level.  

I find as people get to a certain age they're a lot less inclined to try new things and will therefore not be affected by them and instead focus on the past. My dad is getting to that stage and it genuinely frightens me that I'll get there some day too.

Opinions that are shaped by what you consider 'your era', init? Obviously there are exceptions; some genuine, most others pretentious hipsters going against the grain to appear different and cool.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

We've had this discussion before but I'll say it again. Every single decade has a great selection of movies without exception. 

To limit yourself because of some preconceived nonsense about a certain time span is ridiculous. You will only be missing out on some absolute classics. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't put a cut off date on anything but I tend to feel as though the average quality of (Hollywood) movies has declined over time. I feel like there's less and less 'great' movies being released now than say, in the 70s and 90s (that's not to say there aren't great movies being made, just not as many). 

Also, there's something about the over-reliance on CGI in your typical action and sci-fi movies these days that I just can't stand. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2017 at 10:48, villa4europe said:

that alient trailer looks like it'll be the woman and danny mcbride left at the end

danny mcbride...

its going to be garbage

It's all been done to death before, not only in the other Alien movies but in similar movies in the genre. I don't know why they even bother... (oh right for the $$$$$)

The passage of time gives movies time to influence those that follow, and as people are able to rewatch, evaluate and see that influence over the years, movies gain gravitas.

There are as many great movies being released now as ever. It's just only the truly incredible ones that people immediately realise are that good.

57 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I wouldn't put a cut off date on anything but I tend to feel as though the average quality of (Hollywood) movies has declined over time. I feel like there's less and less 'great' movies being released now than say, in the 70s and 90s (that's not to say there aren't great movies being made, just not as many). 

for me its all down to a lack of creativity and balls in Hollywood. Why think of an original idea when you can make a sure-fire comic book movie or sequel that will bring in billions. Not a criticism as I do like the movies but I think their is something ridiculous like 21 comic book movies coming out in next 5 years

though the worst thing in Hollywood now is not them, its something more cynical and ugly. the franchise reboot

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Also, there's something about the over-reliance on CGI in your typical action and sci-fi movies these days that I just can't stand. 

This is how I feel as well. There are still good things being made now but the average is worse. It doesn't help if, like me, you have no interest whatsoever in comic books or movies for kids. 

This year, for the first time in my life, I have seen absolutely none of the major awards contenders at the Oscars. Only one hold any interest for me. 

The opportunity to be groundbreaking or even fresh has gone, its such a saturated industry that pretty much everything has been done and seen before

the amazement at technology has plateaued imo too, watching the likes of jurrasic park in the 90s people were blown away by how advanced it was, watching jurrasic world now you just take what they're doing for granted 

Watched Logan, its a brilliant film, it has several things in it that aren't actually very good but the main core of the film with the 3 characters is so good that i came away loving it

Spoiler

Stephen merchant is an awful bit of casting

the family stuff I understood why they put it in there but it was all a bit rushed and didn't feel natural

didnt like x24

the scenes with the kids at the end didn't really work for me

Didn't get the post credits scene :( 

Â