The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

This will be the Harley that becomes the 'known' Harley, most cinema viewers will only know this version and there is a chance it will stick.

Still not keen on Leto's Joker or Smith's Deadshot.

I've purposely dodged all trailers for this. I just can't bring myself to watch any of it, I hate every image I've seen.

It looks better than BvS. That's not saying a great deal though.

Still, has its problems. That isn't Harley. It just isn't. She might be a great character, but she isn't Harley. Harley has been quite consistent across her portrayals, and even if you move away from the traditional jester look, which had happened a bunch, she still has that voice and she still has the faux innocence. Robbie doesn't and send to just be playing her as crazy?

Leto's Joker is just wrong. There have been more interpretations of the Joker than you can shake a stick at, and some have come closer to Leto's than others (I recently reread All Star Batman and Robin, Frank Miller and Jim Lee portray him as a sadist with an enormous oriental dragon tattoo in that story, and he's had a similar look to Leto in other story arcs) but it's still... Trying too hard to be edgy. The Joker doesn't need that. He should be genuinely disturbing just in his personality, which makes his clownish look all the more disarming. This look is just what you'd get if you asked a bunch of suits in a boardroom to create a modern 'Street' take on the Joker, when they had no idea what that works was. I'm not even particularly against a tattooed Joker, or a 'Street' Joker. But the tatts are shit and the rest of the look is painful.

The rest are OK, Will Smith is fine as Deadshot, hrs such s bland character you can do anything with him and Smith might take to it. Not sure about the look. You can repeat that across the whole cast. I do agree though, that Jai Courtney might steal this movie. Nobody on earth has ever said that and nobody guessed they ever would either. But he's taken a really silly character nobody cares about, and taken him to a place that feels authentic, with him basically being a boozy Aussie thug.

I quite like that you can guess that some characters will not be around for long, and I kinda like that we don't know what the suicide mission is yet. There's a few rumours, which I hope are incorrect because it would be a letdown, but for now the trailers seem to be going with 'look, it's fun! Honest!' first and foremost.

to me, even with the clever bit of editing in that trailer, the joker (and batman) is still going to be simply her back story, so the backstory of a character no one likes on the screen involving another character no one likes on the screen...thats going to be a painful 10 minutes...

think with both they are just trying to hard, the attempted HQ humour is awful, that line about vexing is cringing  

The Big Short was really good . They explained everything in terms that a clown like me could understand, and there was a lot of humour in it as well . Really surprised how much I enjoyed it . 

21 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

The Big Short was really good . They explained everything in terms that a clown like me could understand, and there was a lot of humour in it as well . Really surprised how much I enjoyed it . 

One of the movies I've missed this year I really want to see. Still astonished it was in the awards running at all - a comedy about guys who benefitted from a crash that made billions of people's lives worse simply because they saw it coming. But heard nothing but good things 

Think the bluray release it's still a way off unfortunately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Indeed. Mind you I still found it difficult to understand in places mainly because I don't have a head for figures but it gave a good snapshot into the crisis.

Sub-prime mortgages given fake AAA credit ratings, people betting on those mortgages doing well, and  then people betting on the bet!

One big bubble of a mess no wonder it was so bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mightysasquatch said:

When I saw the first picture of joker in this my first thought was "looks like something from a shitty nu-metal band"....opinion still hasn't changed 

Like Thirty Seconds to Mars? ^_^

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

One of the movies I've missed this year I really want to see. Still astonished it was in the awards running at all - a comedy about guys who benefitted from a crash that made billions of people's lives worse simply because they saw it coming. But heard nothing but good things 

Think the bluray release it's still a way off unfortunately.

I watched a HQ copy on my tablet the other night . Pretty easy to find . 

16 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Tried to watch Hail Caesar yesterday. Got bored halfway through which annoyed me because I love the Coen brothers. There was only so much George Clooney looking startled scenes I could take though...

I get the impression that film will be way too indulgent for me to enjoy.

This is for listeners of the five live movie podcast.

I can't help thinking that its time for Mr Kermode to move on, there's an able replacement already waiting in Robbie Colin who has filled in before and just completed another 2 week stint. I just feel likes he's slightly out of touch these days although he's still good for the odd rant at some of the modern rubbish. Robbie seems like he knows foreign cinema very well but isn't afraid to appreciate the more current films even if the general consensus is that its rubbish, I feel like I'm getting a more rounded review out of him.

Anyone agree?

Watched The Boy.  Very mediocre effort.  Not bad per se, just a bit meh.  Thankfully not that long so it didn't drag on.  5/10.

On 4/11/2016 at 12:03, villa4europe said:

from the 2 trailers i think captain boomerang might steal some scenes and raise some laughs

Jai Courtney is one of the worst actors I have seen in a long time

• Like 1

not disagreeing with that but in the first trailer he had the bit with the beer, in this trailer he has the bit with the lighter and el diablo and appears to have a kangeroo teddy whilst fighting, that to me seems like effortless humour from having fun with the character

compare that to quinns really badly forced attempts at humour...

16 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Tried to watch Hail Caesar yesterday. Got bored halfway through which annoyed me because I love the Coen brothers. There was only so much George Clooney looking startled scenes I could take though...

they pimped that film so much at my local cinema that I reckon I saw the trailer about 20 times  .. which put me off wanting to see it  ... that and it looked rather pants .

lost out on Zootropolis last week as Mrs H took the kids whilst I was at work ... we agreed , giving birth was her job and cartoons was my job  .. think I have grounds for a divorce  ?

• Like 1

Â