The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I like Prometheus but on the level of it being a dumb movie, which it never should have been and wasn't intending to be. The amount of stupid shit in that film is mind boggling.

Looks awesome though. Like any Ridley Scott movie.

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's bobbins. Waaaay too long. Looks nice and all that, but christ on a bike it's dull.

I thought so at the time (cinema) but I watched it again on TV the other month and it was better the second time around , it's still not a great film  , but it wasn't as bad

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

Whilst there are criticisms of BvS due to it's take on the characters, it's been panned mostly for pretty large problems with most facets of the film. It's more than disingenuous to suggest people are down on the movie because they're fanboys who are pissed off that it's not a photocopy from the page.

I didn't hate it, whilst not thinking it's great either, and my issues spanned both the adaptation and the film making. The latter is more important, and there really are elements of the fundamental fabric of that film that do not work. The twist the whole film turns on being a prime suspect.

Spoiler

For me it was good but the whole explanation of batman and superman fighting was ridiculous. Taking Lex Luthors word for it? i doubt Batman would have done this. Also the explosion in court room, sorry no way would superman not know that would have happened.

Those were the two biggest flaws in the film for me, otherwise I thought it was a good film. Wonder womans entrance was epic. 

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the big lebowski is probably the most overrated film in history IMO

I'll go with Schindler's List as most over-rated ever.

Just now, tonyh29 said:

No Country for Old Men says Hello  ....

I enjoyed that though.  I didn't enjoy the ending, mind.  There's an element of snobbery around 'getting' or 'not getting' the ending but for me it left the audience cold.  I'd certainly watch it again though.  Brolin, Bardem, TLJ, Woody.  Cracking cast.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i usually say apocalypse now but thats got reasons (i watched redux and found it boring as ****)

I've never seen that in any of its guises, and tbh I doubt I will.  War films bore the crap out of me.  It's not a genre I have any interest in whatsoever, and sitting through a notoriously, and unashamedly, inaccessible marathon of an effort is not my idea of how to spend a Friday evening.

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'll go with Schindler's List as most over-rated ever.

The new Mad Max,a 2 hour car chase culminating in a U-Turn and everbody ends up where they started from.

Crap

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I've never seen that in any of its guises, and tbh I doubt I will.  War films bore the crap out of me.  It's not a genre I have any interest in whatsoever, and sitting through a notoriously, and unashamedly, inaccessible marathon of an effort is not my idea of how to spend a Friday evening.

American war films generally speaking are way over the top and usually involve a shouty general who bullies everyone at some point. Ridiculous most of the time

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

I've never seen that in any of its guises, and tbh I doubt I will.  War films bore the crap out of me.  It's not a genre I have any interest in whatsoever,

We must cure thee of this affliction. Try Paths of Glory

• Like 1

I've only seen the Apocalypse Now Redux version and I thought it was mostly excellent - with the notable 30 minute or so nonsense with the French colonialists iirc which was a complete irrelevance and added nothing to the story, whilst simultaneously disrupting the rhythm of the film.  

Â