The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

7 hours ago, supernova26 said:

Any more more suggestions for proper films instead of this moronic POW POW POW Comic book rubbish?? This is a great French Film, don't be put off because it's French....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQn0eSdl9Gcoqehn-oNAMe

I saw that around christmas. Nothing else was on and the computer was taken, so it wasn't by choice but... It was good. Not life-altering good, but uplifting, funny, a bit sad at times but overall walked away with a good feeling and glad I had nothing better to do.

If you don't mind foreign films, I'd recommend one from my own homecountry that had the same "feel" as the one above. It's a movie called Elling

Edited by tarjei

On 4/5/2016 at 15:01, Chindie said:

You'll be waiting well into the next decade, all the studios have pans mapped out well into the 2020s. You'll also have Star Wars spin offs filling up the cinema on an annual basis.

In fairness though, there is a trend (similar the western trend of the 40s-60s) but on the scale of things, this year taking solely superhero stuff (as you'd be surprised how much stuff is based on comics - the Road to Perdition is a comic adaptation, for instance) you're looking at 5 movies this year, IIRC, and that includes Ninja Turtles.

There's a sniffy narrative that sees these movies as the death of cinema or something, but they're a drop in the ocean of what is released every year.

Yeah I'm not one of these people who thinks comic book films are the death of cinema, I'm just a bit bored of *most* superhero films following the same format (albeit a money making formula) and I would like to see the industry turn its attention to a different theme or direction. It's not "superhero" films I dislike, I loved Kick Ass and Deadpool, it's the nature of most superhero films I can't stand. For films about humans getting dressed up in costumes with special powers, they take themselves way too seriously. But that's just my preference.

I guess there's a part of me that's also quite jealous of those who are really into it because, it must be an amazing time for cinema.... but... I don't "get it".

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

I understand that entirely. There's genres of film I don't get either - I don't really like horror movies. They don't really scare me (beyond the reflex jump scare, which is awful filmmaking) but I don't find them enjoyable to watch at all. I like a handful and they aren't the usual fair, stuff like the Shining.

But I don't wait for them to disappear from the industry. There are loads every year and the trailers are always shit (the latest one, the Boy, Christ...). They always make a bit of money as well so Hollywood keeps pumping them out.

I also don't get a lot of foreign stuff. A couple of Von Triers movies are genuinely unpleasant watches, and French art house stuff is hideous - I recall one I watched where a girl goes missing (I think her family might have died?) and at the end she encourages a trucker to pretty much rape her. I sure this was brilliant and moving and profound but it stuck me as pretentious nonsense.

But for anyone that likes them, great, I want to hear about it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, supernova26 said:

Any more more suggestions for proper films instead of this moronic POW POW POW Comic book rubbish?? This is a great French Film, don't be put off because it's French....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQn0eSdl9Gcoqehn-oNAMe

Not really sure The Untouchables needed a reboot to be honest,  and I don't like that Sean Connery's character is being played by a CGI Dustin Hoffman either. 

Mos Def may work as Kevin Costner though . 

• Like 3

I watched The Boy yesterday, its an interesting premise and for the first hour is executed quite well. Nothing fancy but a solid 6.5 out of 10, there's some tension building and a few jump scares of course then it kind of throws it all away in the last 15 minutes to become a 5/10.

If you are looking for something similar that is a better film I recommend dead silence.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I LOVE the Office.

But this looks... well... shit.

It reminded me of the shorts RG likes to do for the likes of Comic Relief, playing off the awkwardness of Brent rather than the lives and situations of the rest of the cast - fine for 15 minutes, not sure I'd be up for enduring 90+ minutes of that schtick.  Though, cumin, heh.

Just finished watching dead pool, enjoyed it quite a lot apart from the frequent talking to camera which was a bit excessive at times.

Also made me realise that the main reason I don't like most comic book films is the sanitisation to make them 12 rated films most of the time. Hopefully we can move on now that they have realised they can still make money.

A 15 rated Avengers probably doesn't make the money that makes it worthwhile.

Deadpool is an enormous success. It's a deeply unexpected one and it's success is largely down to a brilliant marketing campaign and importantly it's initial cost. It cost under £60m, and it shows. What they achieved with that budget is fantastic, but that's a fifth of the average blockbuster budget.

The higher works for Deadpool, is the right character to do it with. There are others, and there a few that straddle the line between fitting a harder movie and more suitting a lower rating, like Wolverine, but not all comic movies should be more 'adult' and they won't be. But there might be more of them. Certainly there will be a Deadpool sequel - with Cable for extra fun.

• Like 2

Agree Chindie, there's not really a single formula that works for comic book movies. Deadpool was an unexpected success, but it's still all relative to the total budget of the film.

I think the industry are heading in the right direction. Some films for all the family, some for more adult audiences. Hopefully Deadpool has proved that a bit more money can be thrown at the mature comic book films as long as they're done correctly.

• Like 1

havent really seen much of it so im assuming that deadpool hasnt got the massive merchandise push that the avengers benefits from either, lego, lunch boxes, toys, outfits etc its all making marvel / disney millions (probably billions tbf) 

you argue that marvel have the netflix shows for a mature audience and they really work

Â