The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I love Nic Cage and even like some of his bated films, but he does make some utter shit and needs to go back to proper acting.

His haters might enjoy this link though.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Somehow that passed me by.  It's hard to believe, but yes it seems he really did.  I'll be cruel and suggest it must have been a very very weak year in the category.

tbf it was for playing an alcoholic trying to drink himself to death so it didn't require going full retard or a lot of acting on his behalf

A lot better than I thought it would be. A few things didn't work for me, notably the 'romance' between Pratt/Howard and the need to create 'new' dinosaurs, when surely a T-Rex going mental would have been enough! That being said, 7/10

Jurassic_World_poster.jpg

A few others watched recently:

Entourage movie - just played like an extra long episode. 6/10 (as I am a fan of the show)

Tomorrowland - started promising but I kind of lost interest in it. 5/10

Rambo - pure violence, love it. 7/10

i thought entourage suffered from the blatant and horribly done piers morgan explanation for people thats never seen this before segment right at the beginning and from then on it was always swimming against the current

watched birdman and big eyes today, birdman just wasnt my thing found it a bit boring if im honest, big eyes was ok, dont know those paintings, waltz was good of course, solid rather than spectacular 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

A few others watched recently:

Entourage movie - just played like an extra long episode. 6/10 (as I am a fan of the show)

Tomorrowland - started promising but I kind of lost interest in it. 5/10

Rambo - pure violence, love it. 7/10

Never seen entourage or the film but kermodes review of it was brilliant.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

watched birdman and big eyes today, birdman just wasnt my thing found it a bit boring if im honest, big eyes was ok, dont know those paintings, waltz was good of course, solid rather than spectacular 

said before I think Birdman was a bit up its own arse, Norton and Keaton were very good in it and so was Emma Stone but just seemed very smug

Nic Cage was in Con Air. Con Air is amazing. Nic Cage is amazing. 

Saw Bats V Supes the other day, not the clusterfunk some are making it out to be - it was ok.

Affleck wasn't completely turd and Jesse Eisenberg was good as Luthor (bar a touch too much Heath Ledger Joker about him at times) 

Supes and Lois Lane are the weak links. 

Mentioning BvS, it continued its hilarious drop off in takings this weekend by dropping 62%, which is huge. Warner Bros have countered that by saying 'it's still taking a shitload, thanks' and heavily implying, contrary to reports, that it's very likely to turn a profit very soon. They would say that though of course.

And as we're on comic movies, here is Dr Strange, Baron Mordo, and whoever Hannibal/le Chiffre is playing. I commend them for making a fairly faithful Dr Strange outfit look less than absolutely absurd.

benedict-cumberbatch-films-doctor-strang

003.jpg

Dr Strange has finished filming now so expect a trailer soon. Attached to Civil War, maybe. Should be interesting if nothing else, the Dr Strange comics are bonkers.

Regarding Mads, I've an idea who he is playing, which I hope is correct because otherwise I'm concerned on the basis of the recent set photos.

• Like 1

You'll be waiting well into the next decade, all the studios have pans mapped out well into the 2020s. You'll also have Star Wars spin offs filling up the cinema on an annual basis.

In fairness though, there is a trend (similar the western trend of the 40s-60s) but on the scale of things, this year taking solely superhero stuff (as you'd be surprised how much stuff is based on comics - the Road to Perdition is a comic adaptation, for instance) you're looking at 5 movies this year, IIRC, and that includes Ninja Turtles.

There's a sniffy narrative that sees these movies as the death of cinema or something, but they're a drop in the ocean of what is released every year.

• Like 3

Â