The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I have no interest in Marvel comics, and only a passing interest in their movies, but I have to say that Doctor Strange getup is kinda cool and makes me want to watch it :huh:

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's a sniffy narrative that sees these movies as the death of cinema or something, but they're a drop in the ocean of what is released every year.

And that is the key line right there.

The comic book movies are only a small part of the amount of movies churned out every year. There is an absolute plethora of other movies featuring many different genres to spend time with so don't get too hung up about seeing trailers/images featuring men in capes and talking raccoons. Just go and find something you'll enjoy more, there's a lot to choose from :)

Speaking as someone who has an almost obsessive love and knowledge of cinema, I think they're (mostly) great fun and look forward to seeing more.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, hogso said:

I have no interest in Marvel comics, and only a passing interest in their movies, but I have to say that Doctor Strange getup is kinda cool and makes me want to watch it :huh:

It's actually slightly unstated for his usual look...

doctor-strange-image.jpg

He's a very weird character. An action scene in one of his stories usually involves him sitting down and meditating and then loads of bizarre coloured shapes against a black background appearing as he fights things from other dimensions. Usually a giant bloke with a flaming head.

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

And that is the key line right there.

The comic book movies are only a small part of the amount of movies churned out every year. There is an absolute plethora of other movies featuring many different genres to spend time with so don't get too hung up about seeing trailers/images featuring men in capes and talking raccoons. Just go and find something you'll enjoy more, there's a lot to choose from :)

Speaking as someone who has an almost obsessive love and knowledge of cinema, I think they're (mostly) great fun and look forward to seeing more.

Indeed. 

I'm a massive comic guy obviously and even then my last few trips to the cinema have seen me watch - a Star Wars sequel, a fairly high brow British indie production (High Rise), a shit YA dystopia sequel vehicle (the 5th Wave), a Shakespeare adaptation (Macbeth), a gritty thriller (Sicario), a Bond sequel, a Christmas movie (Krampus), 2 comic adaptations (Deadpool, BvS - and Deadpool by it's nature is a send up of the genre in essence) and a Rocky sequel. I'm sure I've missed some, and that doesn't include some of the stuff I wanted to see but didn't, like the Revenant or the Big Short or the Witch. And I'm fairly limited in my cinema tastes - I won't be seeing the latest romcom, it's very unlikely I'll see the latest subtitled critics darling. 

If you don't want to see the latest comic blockbuster, there's literately dozens of movies a week coming out you could see instead. And most of the time even if you want to only see comic stuff, you couldn't - they come out 4 or 5 times a year.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

He's a very weird character. An action scene in one of his stories usually involves him sitting down and meditating and then loads of bizarre coloured shapes against a black background appearing as he fights things from other dimensions. Usually a giant bloke with a flaming head.

This is why I think the film might bomb and cause Marvel problems. A lot of people will go to see the film and will expect a normal comic film and be shocked by it (if they stick to the comics). Marvel have also not really done magic or mysticism before as anything godly or magical has been technologically based. If they try and explain Strange via technology or have him just fist fighting the traditional fans will revolt.

36 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

This is why I think the film might bomb and cause Marvel problems. A lot of people will go to see the film and will expect a normal comic film and be shocked by it (if they stick to the comics). Marvel have also not really done magic or mysticism before as anything godly or magical has been technologically based. If they try and explain Strange via technology or have him just fist fighting the traditional fans will revolt.

It's not going to be a huge hit, probably in and around Ant Man numbers I think simply because it's a bit weird. I think Marvel know that as well.

They'll change his powers a little. I've been of the mindset for a while that they'll try to explain what he does in a pseudo science-y way (as opposed to 'it's magic idiot, shut up') via the quantum stuff from Ant Man. Strange's power will basically be described as him being able to manipulate reality on a quantum level, and his 'meditation' stuff will be him projecting himself into the quantum realm. Fiege said after Ant Man that we would see more of that kind of thing going forward and Strange makes perfect sense for that, and it gets by in from new and old fans.

Still, it's not going to be a massive hit. Neither will Black Panther. But it opens up a lot of possibilities with the mystical angle and it's something different. I don't think a lot of the director but he's spoken about making it a bit horror inspired. It'll be interesting if nothing else, I'm keen to see what they'll do with it.

My big concern is they could easily waste Mads. Those shots look like they might well do, unless I'm on the right lines and those are slightly misleading, in which case he's a great bit of casting. Marvel really have a problem with wasting villains and they need to fix that. Loki worked well, they wasted Red Skull and they'll run out of Hydra villains for Cap to punch, etc. The nature of most Strange villains should help there - he can defeat them and still have then return.

Said it before, if 5/6 comic books films or throw away shit films like fast and the furious and transformers are bringing in £1bn a pop then even if you don't like them you have to understand what they are doing for the industry

Look at TSG, production company, got their hand in xmen, wolverine, deadpool, fantastic four...all those films make money, they can then also do bridge of spies, the Martian, birdman, gone girl

The industry needs superhero films at the moment, the argument can't they come up with something original...when was the last time something original did a billion at the box office? Frozen, which along with avatar and titanic are the only 3 original non franchise non remake films to break $1bn (about 23 films in total have done it)

Cinema is a business and superhero films are a license to print money

Exactly. It's a business.

When you have a movie lined up that you know is going to make you a tonne, it allows you to gamble on a more risky project. If it flops? Doesn't matter, you've made your money. But if you don't have the guaranteed $$$ to fall back on, why take a risk?

Then it's obviously a case of supply a demand. Birdman opened in 30% of the amount of theatres that Iron Man 3 did - it only made 8% of the money. It's all well and good saying that it's a better film in every way, but it all comes down to the money. It'd be like saying Striker A is far superior in every way to Striker B - but if Striker B is the one putting the ball in the net, he's the one you have to go with.

All the talk today is that Warner Bros are rethinking their plans after BvS doesn't appear to have hit like they hoped. Their slate is going to change methinks. Some of its obviously to late to do anything with but the wider and more long term stuff might have just found itself binned. I'd wager they push up the solo Batman movie unless Affleck fancies doing a runner.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

All the talk today is that Warner Bros are rethinking their plans after BvS doesn't appear to have hit like they hoped. Their slate is going to change methinks. Some of its obviously to late to do anything with but the wider and more long term stuff might have just found itself binned. I'd wager they push up the solo Batman movie unless Affleck fancies doing a runner.

Its about time we had a batman movie!

• Like 1

Â