The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'm sorta with Blandy on the comic book thing .... Iron Man was better than expected and Kenneth  directing Thor also meant we got a better film than it probably deserved ...but alas that lead to a  green llight on everything in the marvel arsenal 

Iron man 2 turned out to be shite and avengers just monotonous drivel and then just when you decide enough is enough they came up with Guardians and restored your faith in comic movies ... And then you see the next iron man film and want to kill someone again ... But you go and see Antman and all is good in the world again ... Until <<insert next comic film >>

im sorta avenger characters  zoned out more as its all just too predictable and too much monotonous CGI battles scenes wirh bad guys that are clever enough to conquer a universe but then get to planet earth and suddenly lose the  ability to plan a proper invasion or battle strategy .... 

i.e Batman shouldn't have a chance v superman but strategy FTW

partly why I liked antman and BvS as at least there was an attempt at a story , no matter how flawed ...

end of the day one indestructible superhero is enough and Hulk is probably the winner so kill off all the others and then let hulk hitch hike out of town with that piano  interlude fading out in the background 

P.s the fighting raccoon can stay as he's not on planet earth 

What pisses me off is that filmmakers keep going back to arcane superheroes like Superman and Batman. What a shame nobody is willing to take a chance on something original and fresh.

The "Duck of Death" gag in Unforgiven is one of the standout funny lines from 90's cinema. 

Unforgiven seems a little bit corny and contrived now, but when it came out, it was a major event in the history of the Western genre. 

It still is a great movie to this day. 

And what a great performance by Richard Harris as English Bob. Classic stuff!

• Like 1

Godzilla Resurgence trailer, the Toho reboot. Anno is directing and has done the screenplay (this is the reason Eva 4.00 has been delayed) and Higuchi (director of the live action Attack on Titan movies, and special effects on the Gamera trilogy) is handling fx. I'm hopeful for it, more so than Godzilla vs King Kong or whatever Gareth Edwards sequel will turn out to be, anyway. 

Oh, and Sony have given some more details about their 'emoji' movie. Sony Pictures President Kristine Belson said about it - "inside your phone, there's a secret world, and we enter through the text app where we discover Emoji valley, where the industrious Emoji live and work". :crylaugh:

And no, I'm not making this up. Granted, it's gonna be a kid's film, not aimed at my demographic, and if they're smart they'll go for an Inside Out vibe...but when quotes like "the filmmakers will rely on real-world apps to tell its story, like having characters navigate boats on an actual stream to represent music streaming", and the revelation that the likes of Spotify have already signed up, you can only laugh and presume it'll be an 80 minute advert.

Fwiw my favourite emoji is this guy sexface.gif

Edited by hogso

Yeah Spiderman is in it a surprising amount it appears, and every comment is they've finally nailed it. Garfield got close, but looks like Holland is on point. 

I'm surprised it's reviewing quite as well as it is. I expected it to be good, but also have a few flaws (poor villain, etc) but seemingly it's pretty much a home run. Great to hear the praise for Black Panther as well.

I've been skim reading through some of the Civil War reviews too and it looks as though the Russo's have absolutely nailed it.

I did have high hopes after the excellent Winter Soldier but I was a little concerned that the sheer amount of characters might be to it's detriment.

Looks like I was wrong, which is great news.

Comes out on my birthday too - looks like it could be a good start to that day :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

the argument is totally that you don't like them

It's much more than that. it's about my right as a random person on the internet to demand that these anonymous, so called "film-makers" stop making films about comic characters. It's about my right to say "screw you guys" who might like these films. I demand that they do what I want, not what you want. and I DEMAND IT IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

Fact. End of. Period.

SGPhoto_2009_02_02%2B02_10_43.png

* p.s. I think in your reasoned and well argued responses to my frankly ridiculous posts, you've been giving them far more credit than they're worth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's much more than that. it's about my right as a random person on the internet to demand that these anonymous, so called "film-makers" stop making films about comic characters. It's about my right to say "screw you guys" who might like these films. I demand that they do what I want, not what you want. and I DEMAND IT IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

Fact. End of. Period.

SGPhoto_2009_02_02%2B02_10_43.png

* p.s. I think in your reasoned and well argued responses to my frankly ridiculous posts, you've been giving them far more credit than they're worth.

YOU KNOB, STOP IT! :lol:

stop being naughty man.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Hellboy deserved a lot more attention and maybe another sequel, same for Dredd

I thought Hellboy was really shit, but Dredd is about the only film ever made that seems to understand what 3D is for.

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

im sorta avenger characters  zoned out more as its all just too predictable and too much monotonous CGI battles scenes wirh bad guys that are clever enough to conquer a universe but then get to planet earth and suddenly lose the  ability to plan a proper invasion or battle strategy ...

Who've the Avengers fought that conquered a universe?

As for CGI battle scenes, that's pretty much the entire BvS film, isn't it?

Of the 'Marvel Cinematic Universe' I have seen;

Hulk, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Avengers 2 (and Jessica Jones)

Have I seen the best ones and do I need to see more to enable a better understanding of the goings on in Civil War?

28 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Yeah Spiderman is in it a surprising amount it appears, and every comment is they've finally nailed it. Garfield got close, but looks like Holland is on point. 

I'm surprised it's reviewing quite as well as it is. I expected it to be good, but also have a few flaws (poor villain, etc) but seemingly it's pretty much a home run. Great to hear the praise for Black Panther as well.

yep, the closest ive seen to a bad review was forbes who said it was a good film but the reviewer sounded weary of the superhero genre and ign who said that winter soldier was their favourite superhero film and CW isnt as good

thats about it

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

few reviews i read last night said its the best onscreen spidey ever too, he's not just a cameo

not hard to be better than Tobey Maguire, never watched the other one though

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not hard to be better than Tobey Maguire, never watched the other one though

Nah, Nicholas Hammond is still the best :D

spider-man-70s_0.jpg?itok=MxnCe9GJ

Those films were sooo bad.

Â